LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 258 users in the forums

Why I don't like this pick part 2

Since my thread was locked before I could respond... maybe you guys didn't read this interview........ http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2011/04/28/jim-harbaugh-on-aldon-smith-not-taking-a-qb-alex-smith/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+kawakami-merc+%28Talking+Points+with+Tim+Kawakami%29

In there it clearly says........

Q: Was there an opportunity to move down?

-HARBAUGH: There’s been calls, yeah. The phones were being picked up, answered, talked to.

So that's why I said move down, OUR COACH SAID THE PHONES WERE RINGING.............
hmmm I am betting that your second attempt at a thread goes as well as your first attempt.
Also, right after that comment...........

-Q: So you didn’t want to trade down?

-HARBAUGH: We did what… there was talk. You asked if there was talk, there was talk. We did what we thought was the best thing for our football team. It’ll be up to us as coaches, up to Aldon, to our football team to make it right. To make that pick something that we’ll all remember.

In my opinion I feel we could have moved down and still got Smith. Thats why I don't like the way it was done...
Don't really care if it gets locked, I just wanted the chance to prove there was a chance to move down. B/C people read 1 article they think they know everything....
LOL.....I'm sure they could have moved down, could they have moved down and gotten Smith still? Hell no. I'll trust the coaching staff to be more cognizant of what the team actually needs and what the real situation is then some random poster on the internet.
Your only real insight is from public mock drafts. Drop it.
I would think it's safe to say they didn't move down because the offers were bad.
Originally posted by joeymac49s:
Don't really care if it gets locked, I just wanted the chance to prove there was a chance to move down. B/C people read 1 article they think they know everything....

Baalke already said there wasn't an opportunity to move down. If they wanted Smith and traded down and didn't get him, what exactly did they earn. Gil Brant compares this guy to DeMarcus Ware and that is more than good enough for me.
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
I would think it's safe to say they didn't move down because the offers were bad.

Bingo. If you really like a guy and other teams are offering you garbage to trade down, why bother? What sense does it make? If Smith plays up to his potential, he'll make a few teams look bad for passing on him. Had he gone back to school and had another stellar year like his freshman year, we'd be talking about him as a lock for a Top 5 pick next year.

Still Didn't Read Lol
Also, we were tied for 14th with the Pats for sacks last year and 2nd against the run, which is why I said our front 7 was our strongest part of the D. Once again, I didn't say I thought Aldon Smith was going to be a bust, I just think we could have traded back a few stops grabbed an extra pick in the 3rd or 4th which in turn would allow up to move up to the 33rd pick and grab Dalton. Harbaugh said there was opportunities to move down, Baalke said there wasn't... so someone's not telling the truth. I'm just tired of drafting a player and trying to move him to a position he's not use to playing and expecting him to make a big splash from day 1. After game 3 people were calling Anthony Davis a bust... let's face it, 49er fans dont exactly have the best patience
If they lock the first, we will lock the second. There is a thread for this already.
Share 49ersWebzone