There are 155 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Lowell Cohn on Aldon Smith

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by servegmo:
is it me or he remind you of a raw D.Ware?? i just watch some of his highlights and the only player I think about when I saw him play is Ware!!!

check his measurables vs Ware:

smith:

Height: 6'4"
Weight: 263 lbs
Arm Length: 35 3/8 in
Hand Size: 9 3/4 in

ware:

Weight: 262 lbs
Arm Length: 34 in
Hand Size: 10 in

he is not as fast (Smith 4.7 vs Ware 4.5) but he is 21 years old, Ware was 23 when he came out... I am not saying he will become as dominant as D.Ware that would be amazing but when I saw his highlights he remind me of him and I can only imagine, his upside once he develop his body potential!!!

nice pick go niners!!!

We will see. But like you said Ware was the better athlete. 40 times for pass rushers are often overrated though. How you operate in a 5 - 10 yard box is more important. Initial quickness trumps long speed at DE/OLB. Plus pass rush moves and leverage, strength and technique.

Can it be? I actually agree with you regarding a guy named Smith.

I like the idea of picking up a pass rusher. The problem I have is he is very young and may not have an impact for quite some time. I hope that's not the case but it is a possibility.

LB
I wanted QB and laughed at Cohn's remarks on QBs. QB is nearly as important as all other positions combined. That said I get the pick and have read up on Aldon Smith and am eager to watch him excel.
Originally posted by joeymac49s:
Ware was a better player overall coming out, dropping back in coverage, stopping the run, everything. However, Smith does have 2 years to catch up to where Ware was so hopefully working with Vic he will become our Ware/Matthews/Harrison/Pace/Suggs... The biggest problem is we still need to get better in our secondary... look at the guys I listed that are great pass rushers... the teams that are good, Matthews Packers- Woodson in the secondary, Harrison Steelers- Polamalu, Calvin Pace Jets- Revis and Suggs Baltimore- Ed Reed... all playoff teams, all good to great secondaries... however DeMarcus Ware Cowboys, 2010 sack leader- Horrible secondary-- no playoffs... We NEED Asomugha!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Didn't read, lol.
Originally posted by mug0mug:
He loves it because he's a contrarian.

He doesn't really know what he's talking about, but since it was a surprise he loves it. If it was Peterson or Miller he probably would've complained about it.

He's annoying and thinks his job is to make people think in new ways or some crap, rather than just speaking the truth.

...though I do agree it was a good pick despite my initial shock.

His intended audience is definitely readers who don't know a ton about football. His articles are pretty painful to read.
Originally posted by servegmo:
is it me or he remind you of a raw D.Ware?? i just watch some of his highlights and the only player I think about when I saw him play is Ware!!!

check his measurables vs Ware:

smith:

Weight: 263 lbs
Arm Length: 35 3/8 in
Hand Size: 9 3/4 in

Weight: 262 lbs
Arm Length: 34 in
Hand Size: 10 in

he is not as fast (Smith 4.7 vs Ware 4.5) but he is 21 years old, Ware was 23 when he
came out... I am not saying he will become as dominant as D.Ware that would be amazing but when I saw his highlights he remind me of him and I can only imagine, his upside once he develop his body potential!!!

He is actually 20 years old
nice pick go niners!!!
Originally posted by Travisty13:
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
If I'm drunk and get a boner, that isn't gay, right?

Not unless a guy is sitting in your lap at the same time.

Thanks for clarifying.

Drafting Aldon Smith pick definitely reminds me true NFL scouts knowing a little bit more than these draftniks and others know, and less of a "reach".

No problem.

And I agree. It shows Baalke and Harbaugh think for themselves and don't do what all the talking heads tell them they should do. I support this pick.

This kind of concerns me actually. The fact that both GM and HC are basically rookies choosing a player that is not a natural at OLB. It seems more like a project pick and most of our past project picks haven't become anything.

The only thing about my argument is that most the players on the board seemed to have major question marks. That's why I'm not overly dissapointed in getting what some call the 2nd best pass rusher.
  • dmax
  • Veteran
I liked him in college..he should be a beast for us!.....kill the qb aldon

[ Edited by dmax on Apr 29, 2011 at 08:23:16 ]
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
If I'm drunk and get a boner, that isn't gay, right?

Not unless a guy is sitting in your lap at the same time.

Thanks for clarifying.

Drafting Aldon Smith pick definitely reminds me true NFL scouts knowing a little bit more than these draftniks and others know, and less of a "reach".

No problem.

And I agree. It shows Baalke and Harbaugh think for themselves and don't do what all the talking heads tell them they should do. I support this pick.

This kind of concerns me actually. The fact that both GM and HC are basically rookies choosing a player that is not a natural at OLB. It seems more like a project pick and most of our past project picks haven't become anything.

The only thing about my argument is that most the players on the board seemed to have major question marks. That's why I'm not overly dissapointed in getting what some call the 2nd best pass rusher.

he is a natural OLB

as a freshman he had 12 sacks a record at the school
as a sophmore he had 5.5 sacks missed 3 games and playe with a broken fibula

this guy is a sack machine
Originally posted by DarthNiner:
Originally posted by modninerfan:
Originally posted by forty9ers49:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Originally posted by kidash:
BUT... BUT... HE'S A BUST! (as some already proclaimed)

I've been pretty neutral on this pick, but I think it's literally the "Tyson Alualu" pick of 2011. -Everybody's thinking he should have been picked in the 'teens', but everything will work itself out in the end.

I Agree. I wasn't overly excited but wasn't upset either. The more I thought about, it the more I thought about the Jags pick last year. He ended up doing pretty well. Also Smith's size makes me think he has a better chance to be succesfull as opposed to Lawson coming out (240 lbs)

What the hell are you guys smoking? Tyson Alualu? nobody had Alualu going in the first round, let alone top 10. Aldon Smith was a top 15 pick, top 10 by many. If this pick was a reach it wasnt by much.

This next part isnt necessarily pointed at you guys above, but I gotta say it. Everybody flipping out over this pick is annoying the hell out of me... it only shows how little you know about this kid and what little research was done on your part. Aldon Smith was a top prospect plain and simple. How so many of you guys slept on him is beyond me. OTC, Maddog, etc... they can say what they want because they've done their homework and IMO have all the right in the world to voice their concern... But for those of you who have never heard of Aldon Smith and are giving up on the pick are only embarrassing yourselves.

with all that said i'm outta here, gonna go back to the Parking lot where the majority of posters arent a bunch of chicken littles

For the record, OTC and MadDog had Aldon Smith at #11. Not really a reach in my opinion.
Considering the need issues and the other players available at the time, Aldon was the most logical selection.
Originally posted by dj43:

I've been pretty neutral on this pick, but I think it's literally the "Tyson Alualu" pick of 2011. -Everybody's thinking he should have been picked in the 'teens', but everything will work itself out in the end.

I Agree. I wasn't overly excited but wasn't upset either. The more I thought about, it the more I thought about the Jags pick last year. He ended up doing pretty well. Also Smith's size makes me think he has a better chance to be succesfull as opposed to Lawson coming out (240 lbs)

What the hell are you guys smoking? Tyson Alualu? nobody had Alualu going in the first round, let alone top 10. Aldon Smith was a top 15 pick, top 10 by many. If this pick was a reach it wasnt by much.

This next part isnt necessarily pointed at you guys above, but I gotta say it. Everybody flipping out over this pick is annoying the hell out of me... it only shows how little you know about this kid and what little research was done on your part. Aldon Smith was a top prospect plain and simple. How so many of you guys slept on him is beyond me. OTC, Maddog, etc... they can say what they want because they've done their homework and IMO have all the right in the world to voice their concern... But for those of you who have never heard of Aldon Smith and are giving up on the pick are only embarrassing yourselves.

with all that said i'm outta here, gonna go back to the Parking lot where the majority of posters arent a bunch of chicken littles

For the record, OTC and MadDog had Aldon Smith at #11. Not really a reach in my opinion.
Considering the need issues and the other players available at the time, Aldon was the most logical selection.

Kinda disagree. I think (along with most draftniks and experts) Robert Quinn is/was a better pure 3-4 OLB prospect than Aldon Smith (who, now that he bulked up, seems to be more of a Justin Tuck type of combo 4-3 DE/DT)...obviously JH and TB didn't think so, and that's all that matters.

Don't get me wrong, I love me some Aldon Smith, but I think Quinn would've been a better pick.

[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Apr 29, 2011 at 09:21:25 ]
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

Kinda disagree. I think (along with most draftniks and experts) Robert Quinn is/was a better pure 3-4 OLB prospect than Aldon Smith (who, now that he bulked up, seems to be more of a Justin Tuck type of combo 4-3 DE/DT)...obviously JH and TB didn't think so, and that's all that matters.

Don't get me wrong, I love me some Aldon Smith, but I think Quinn would've been a better pick.

It was mentioned that Quinn hasn't been filling into his frame and Smith has.

Question: if Aldon were to stay in school two more years, where would he be projected to be drafted?
Originally posted by Joecool:

Question: if Aldon were to stay in school two more years, where would he be projected to be drafted?

IMO, as a pure 4-3 guy, he might've eventually graded out as a top 3 pick.

I liked Quinn but the fact he did not play this year had an obvious impact.

I see Smith more in the Shawn Merriman mold than a Demarcus Ware.

That's the thing though, I doubt Aldon would have transitioned as a quality '4-3' DE into the NFL. His physical make-up may have been (4-3) adequate at the 'college' level, but this guy is a pure D-Ware waiting to happen at an NFL '3-4' (OLB) transition.

The speed, the arms, the moves, he's gonna kick Haralson off the roster almost immediately.

[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Apr 29, 2011 at 09:36:16 ]

That's the thing though, I doubt Aldon would have transitioned as a quality '4-3' DE into the NFL. His physical make-up may have been (4-3) adequate at the 'college' level, but this guy is a pure D-Ware waiting to happen at an NFL '3-4' (OLB) transition.

The speed, the arms, the moves, he's gonna kick Haralson off the roster almost immediately.

Quinn had question marks, and watching the film he doesn't have the same pursuit as Aldon. Smith is in or around 90% of the plays, and is rarely on the ground. For a guy his size that's what we want in an OLB. Relentless pursuit and wont get taken down easily. One play a dude tries to chop him and he recognizes it while starring at the QB, jumps over the lineman using peripheral vision and tackles the QB. Thats special.