LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 240 users in the forums

1 spot away from winning the lottery....

• World
  • Veteran
If only the Niners had the #6 pick instead of #7. The Falcons gave the Browns a Herschel Walker/Ricky Williams type deal to go up and get Julio Jones. The Niners apparently couldn't find anyone to come up and take the #7 for a first rounder and a bag of balls or else how do they not move down even a few spots? Smith would have been there for them.

I just hope he is the next Demarcus Ware, because Robert Quinn was still sitting there if you wanted a pass rusher. Prince was still there if you wanted a CB. And every QB in the draft was still there (except Newton who I don't think they wanted anyway).

I'm a Niner fan through and through, and will certainly hope above hope that Aldon turns into a stud, but I can't help but thing what might have been had the Niners had the #6 slot.
Originally posted by World:
If only the Niners had the #6 pick instead of #7. The Falcons gave the Browns a Herschel Walker/Ricky Williams type deal to go up and get Julio Jones. The Niners apparently couldn't find anyone to come up and take the #7 for a first rounder and a bag of balls or else how do they not move down even a few spots? Smith would have been there for them.

I just hope he is the next Demarcus Ware, because Robert Quinn was still sitting there if you wanted a pass rusher. Prince was still there if you wanted a CB. And every QB in the draft was still there (except Newton who I don't think they wanted anyway).

I'm a Niner fan through and through, and will certainly hope above hope that Aldon turns into a stud, but I can't help but thing what might have been had the Niners had the #6 slot.

I have lost a lot of hope with this pick.
Cleveland got a nice deal there. Anyone still that win against Arizona.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Cleveland got a nice deal there. Anyone still want that win against Arizona.
Originally posted by juycho:
Originally posted by World:

I have lost a lot of hope with this pick.

Who is going to make more of an impact for a team, a rookie non-quarterback or rookie head coach? Prince still hasn't been picked, and Gabbert was 10th.
  • World
  • Veteran
I will say that the best news that I have heard so far in the hour or so since the pick was turned in, was not amongst all the scrambling I was doing reading the various pre-draft analysis on the web about Smith. It actually came from NFL Network's crew, who said the Patriots were very interested in Aldon Smith and possibly considering trading up for him. If the Patriots were looking at him for their 3-4, I like him better for the Niner's 3-4.
What a trade for the Browns!

That's probably the reason Baalke slammed the phone. He knew he was very close to hitting the jackpot.
  • World
  • Veteran
Not as good as hearing the Pats were looking at him, but just saw where Von Miller was questioned prior to the draft and asked who he thought would be the Defensive Rookie of the Year and without hesitation he said "Aldon Smith". That kind of respect from a fellow prospect is good to hear.
and the falcons called james jones(ex packer) as well. they are looking to load up matt ryan.

but damn i would have loved that trade.

Eh, it is what it is. Woulda been awesome, though!
  • fan49
  • Veteran
he will be good... i was shocked.. but he broke justin smiths sack record his fresh season.. broke his leg still had 5.5 sacks. hes a beast.. and only 20

[ Edited by fan49 on Apr 28, 2011 at 22:22:28 ]
World - If you're the same one as I remember, haven't seen you in a looong time. Back on topic, I know...missed that lottery, they must've thought Cleveland was gonna draft him, so he chose to make them draft-pick rich instead of us.
  • World
  • Veteran
Mcbaes....yes....it's the same old me, just without all the little red boxes. I've been around, but just hadn't posted in so long that apparently the zone forgot about me. Nice to see not everyone has. ;)
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
World - If you're the same one as I remember, haven't seen you in a looong time. Back on topic, I know...missed that lottery, they must've thought Cleveland was gonna draft him, so he chose to make them draft-pick rich instead of us.

My thinking as well. Even if we we're at 6, they would have traded with Cleve at 7 for fear Cleve would take Julio.
Share 49ersWebzone