LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 285 users in the forums

A Mock Draft (because I don't want to feel left out)

Here are my first 4 rounds for the 49ers. I know I don't have a QB selected, but given Harbaugh's history with the Raiders and (to a lesser extent) with Josh Johnson and Andrew Luck, I think he is a diamond in the rough sort of guy. I did all billion picks here , but I figure the later round stuff is really speculative. Considering that my picks are already based on fantasy, I won't post the delusional fantasy stuff here.

I've got write ups about each below, which explains my affinity, but the draft goes as follows:

R1: Marcel Dareus
R2: Ros-I Dowling
R3: Chris Carter
R4-1: Jacquizz Rodgers
R4-2: Ahmad Black

Scott

R1. Pick #7: Marcel Dareus, NT, Alabama

The 49ers are losing a key piece to their defense in NT Aubrayo Franklin. As such, it is paramount that they find an adequate replacement. The NT position is not one that requires only size. Rather, being a NT requires a strong knowledge of not only the technique of the position, but also of the game as a whole. According to Patrick Willis, Aubrayo was “the best nose in the game […] Nobody plays with better technique. Nobody knows the game better than he knows it.”

Dareus might be the closest thing to a technician that this draft has to offer. According to Greg Cosell, the NFL Films Guru, “Dareus [is] athletic + physical. [He has] Quickness, speed […] deceptively explosive. Violent hands.” Rob Rang of CBS Sports notes that Darues is “Stout at the point of attack. Plays with good leverage and can anchor to create a pile. Cognizant defender who works hard to keep containment […] Won’t shed the block until he reads where the ballcarrier is going.”

In short, Dareus is a Vince Wilfork/BJ Raji-type difference maker. Not only can he anchor the line, but he can also push the pocket. Though he may not be the speed rusher that most agree the 49ers need, he can be a type of player who creates opportunities for others. If he is on the board, the selection is a no-brainer.

R2. Pick #13: Ras-I Dowling, CB, Virginia

Dowling is a bit of risk at this spot, as he was significantly hampered by injury last season, playing in only 5 games. However, prior the 2010 season, Dowling had only missed 1 game due to injury. So, there is reason to believe the risk is limited.

Injuries aside, Dowling could arguably be one of the top-3 CBs in this draft. Though he lacks elite speed, he is far and away one of the better technicians available. CBS Sports notes that he is “Experienced corner who has seen all the tricks. Rarely out of position, even against double-moves, due to his instincts and vision.”

What’s more, he is an adept run defender and solid tackler, combine that with his lack of off-the-field issues and his strong work ethic, and you’ve got a solid second round pick.

R3. Pick #12: Chris Carter, OLB, Fresno State

Now whether or not Carter is the Rush End we have been searching for is rather debatable. His limited production in college is somewhat of a concern, accumulating only 19.5 sacks in his 4 years at Fresno State. That said, his upside cannot be understated.

Greg Cosell asserts that Carter has a chance to be an “excellent NFL player,” citing his “Explosion off ball, Flexibility to bend + skim corner. Field fast. Competitive[ness]” as proof. Further, Jeff Reynolds of The Sports Exchange notes that “He’s also a heady player who studied philosophy and pre-law and should be able to handle the mental aspects of a move to outside linebacker.”

What perhaps is most likeable about Carter is that he has proven to be a proactive student of the game. Mike Reiss of ESPN reported that Carter is currently being tutored by Willie McGinest, one of the better 3-4 OLBs to have played the game.

R4. Pick #11: Jacquizz Rodgers, RB, Oregon State

Aside from concerns about his size, Rodgers’ production gives him elite potential. His stat line speaks for itself. A first-team all-Pac-10 performer in each of his three seasons, Rodgers amassed 3,877 rush yards, ranking 6th in Pac-10 history. He ranks second in conference history with 46 rushing TDs and with 19 games with 100-plus yards rushing. Not only Rodgers can run the ball effectively, but he can also catch the ball out of the backfield. He is the Oregon State career leader in receptions by a RB with 151 catches.

When looking to diversify an offense, the value of speed cannot be understated. However, pure “speed” backs are unreliable/hit-or-miss types. Rodgers production in college is undervalued, much like his skill-set.

R4. Pick #18 (San Diego): Ahmad Black, S, Florida

I’ll be the first to admit that this pick seems a bit unreasonable. However, like Rodgers, I believe Black is undervalued because his lack of straight-line speed. He is an instinctive player that plays the game fast. His coverage skills were called “rare” by CBS Sports, and Greg Cosell likens Black to Bob Sanders.

What’s more, Black simply makes plays. He owns 13 career INTs, accumulating 5 last season, along with 108 tackles, 11 TFL, 3FF and 1 TD. He was a consensus First-Team All-SEC pick by the Coaches, AP, and Phil Steele.

Though safety is not an immediate position of need, Black has the potential to be a special player.
all picks are realistic except round 1 no way in hell dareus falls to 7

carolina may get him broncos may take him bills will take him arizona and browns will definitally take him
Nice picks and could happen. I feel Dareus will be gone but that leaves many other possibilities.
Share 49ersWebzone