LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 270 users in the forums

OTC's Final Big 254 Draft Board

OTC, referring back to bottom of 1st page:

Rarely had to read Defenses, rarely blitzed, so he didn't have to coordinate pickups.

Ran a super simplified O at Auburn, clearly not pro style, and worked strictly thru a shotgun.

Very inconsistent mechanics.

Scouts question his football IQ.

Summary: overall he will need to take on way more responsibility than at Auburn, and
it remains to be seen it he can.

Change Auburn to U of Texas and you could have just described Vince Young. Obviously a team with no Qb has to take a QB, and to not take a really attractive winnning QB like Newton would have been suicide for the coach/GM who chose someone else. Nonetheless, they just set their franchise back about 3-5 yrs. 3 yrs for making a hash out of #1 pick in draft, and then 2 more yrs to recover from all that transpired after that. If that doesn't look like the Titans some 6 some yrs ago , nothing does. My guess is that there will be negative results on all four issues that have been raised re: Newton, and I honestly feel sorry for their coach and GM to have to make that call. I guess the best choice would have been to trade back.

My guess is that faced with that choice, had #1 pick been the 9ers, we would have traded back and added several more high picks.
  • Walsh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
Originally posted by Walsh:
I'm really impressed at how close you came on which positions we hit at what rounds. Kinda interesting too how hard it was to find value in the NT position along with our other needs. Guess we'll have to throw some dough at Franklin. heh

everyone is quick to forget anput Ricky Jen Francious, who filled in admirably for Franklin, and was dominant in pre season against first stringers, he is the future.

I like RJF a lot. Didn't really mention him because I'm hoping he gets more time to come along. He looked right on track last season to start and he was like a 7th rounder or so? I'd love it even if all the guy did was be a decent back up. Came back from a college injury, worked his way into playing time and doing well.

Can he take Franklin's spot? No idea...could only find one youtube vid on him, I think.
  • Walsh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I'm really impressed at how close you came on which positions we hit at what rounds. Kinda interesting too how hard it was to find value in the NT position along with our other needs. Guess we'll have to throw some dough at Franklin. heh

I appreciate the kind words. I think the only player we really liked was Phil Taylor, and if we had traded down I think he would've been considered for the pick if Aldon Smith wasn't there.

After that, we apparently weren't crazy about anybody. I imagine we'll have to bring someone in to compete at nose tackle either as an UDFA or UFA on the market if Franklin really does go elsewhere.

In my opinion, the "value" picks we landed were Kendall Hunter, Ronald Johnson, and Bruce Miller (if we use him as an LB). Hunter had a 2nd rounder value, and Johnson was a 4th-5th rounder. Miller a 5th-6th. After that, the rest were basically par-value picks.

I love all of the debating these draft boards bring. Can't stand people that get their panties in a bunch over them. We're lucky to have this kind of stuff to talk about. Most NFL message boards for teams don't have people creating crazy lists like this. Really shows love for the team.

Any chance in your opinion that Ronald Johnson wins the slot spot? We have more talent at WR than "ever". The rooks weren't bad last year.

I appreciate the kind words. I think the only player we really liked was Phil Taylor, and if we had traded down I think he would've been considered for the pick if Aldon Smith wasn't there.

After that, we apparently weren't crazy about anybody. I imagine we'll have to bring someone in to compete at nose tackle either as an UDFA or UFA on the market if Franklin really does go elsewhere.

In my opinion, the "value" picks we landed were Kendall Hunter, Ronald Johnson, and Bruce Miller (if we use him as an LB). Hunter had a 2nd rounder value, and Johnson was a 4th-5th rounder. Miller a 5th-6th. After that, the rest were basically par-value picks.

I love all of the debating these draft boards bring. Can't stand people that get their panties in a bunch over them. We're lucky to have this kind of stuff to talk about. Most NFL message boards for teams don't have people creating crazy lists like this. Really shows love for the team.

Any chance in your opinion that Ronald Johnson wins the slot spot? We have more talent at WR than "ever". The rooks weren't bad last year.

In my opinion, he has the leg-up. The only thing Williams has proven so far is an inability to stay healthy. I think Johnson will win the slot position (assuming they don't put Ginn there simply because of speed -- but I think Ginn is better as the 4th WR).

I think Kyle Williams is a better blocker than Ronald Johnson, but we can consider our new WR's coach Morton might have a little bias there when it comes down to pushing for a guy to take the spot.

So, yeah, I think he's got a really good shot.

In my opinion, he has the leg-up. The only thing Williams has proven so far is an inability to stay healthy. I think Johnson will win the slot position (assuming they don't put Ginn there simply because of speed -- but I think Ginn is better as the 4th WR).

I think Kyle Williams is a better blocker than Ronald Johnson, but we can consider our new WR's coach Morton might have a little bias there when it comes down to pushing for a guy to take the spot.

So, yeah, I think he's got a really good shot.

Agree with it all... Looks like Zeigler will be odd man out if Williams stays healthy..
  • Walsh
  • Veteran
I liked how he looked in the youtubes I watched. Good speed. Good hands. I didn't see elite skills but I do think he would find holes in zone d and things like that. Maybe we got our a #3 WR out of the draft. That'd be cool for late rounds.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
It has been another extraordinary draft, and was a crazy ride along the way. In a very abbreviated review of who had the most draft selections in the 254 draft, it appears that OTC once again pinned the MadDog for the second straight year, and once again beat every single draft prognosticator in the business. Yours truly coming in second once again. OTC is the draft king. At some point, when I can reclaim some bit of time from the universe, I hope to do a complete review for my records.

Share 49ersWebzone