There are 157 users in the forums

OTC's Final Big 254 Draft Board

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
OTC -

Please set me straight. What are the knocks on Cam (Greatest to least).

-Rarely had to read defenses and rarely faced blitzes, so he didn't have to coordinate blitz pick-ups.

-Ran a super-simplified offense at Auburn, clearly not a pro-style. So he not only had a simplified playbook, he worked almost strictly out of the shotgun.

-Very inconsistent/poor mechanics. Often makes shotputted arm throws because he doesn't set his feet, which can cause the ball to sail or float.

-Scouts question his football IQ.

Overall -- will he be able to correct his physical issues, and overcome the mental hurdles he'll face in the NFL. He will need to take on way more responsibility than he did at Auburn, and it remains to be seen if he can.

Thanks.
There seems to be so much defensive talent in this draft it seems stupid to move up. I would much rather be moving back and collect picks.

I don't think it's totally out of the question. We still don't know which QB the team has as their primary target, and the team really seems to like Phil Taylor. If we trade back, an NT, QB, CB, and DE are all positions of need for us that we could address with great players in the 1st.
There seems to be so much defensive talent in this draft it seems stupid to move up. I would much rather be moving back and collect picks.

I don't think it's totally out of the question. We still don't know which QB the team has as their primary target, and the team really seems to like Phil Taylor. If we trade back, an NT, QB, CB, and DE are all positions of need for us that we could address with great players in the 1st.

Assuming we can't get Mr. Taylor, who would you reccomend to anchor the middle of our Dline?

I tend to agree with OTC that a pick like Taylor, in a trade down, is terrific value for the team in the long run. The best 3-4 teams tend to have stud 3-4 NT's, and we may be down to Jean-Francois as our starter if Franklin departs. Even if Franklin stays, Taylor, to me, is an upgrade by 2012.

The team has plenty of picks, but most are stacked in the late round, where you are looking at role players to fill the back end of the roster. Additional early round picks would be welcome.

Assuming we can't get Mr. Taylor, who would you reccomend to anchor the middle of our Dline?

Are you asking about what other prospects, or who else already on the team would I recommend?

If we're talking prospects, I think Kendrick Ellis would be the next best option. Ellis may not make it to our 3rd rounder though.

Are you asking about what other prospects, or who else already on the team would I recommend?

If we're talking prospects, I think Kendrick Ellis would be the next best option. Ellis may not make it to our 3rd rounder though.

So in your opinion, is it Taylor and then a big drop off? Or, are their comparable players in the fist and second?

So in your opinion, is it Taylor and then a big drop off? Or, are their comparable players in the fist and second?

Some say that Stephen Paea could play the 3-4 NT position, and I suppose he's a possible candidate for the Fangio 3-4, but the dropoff, while not enormous, is fairly significant in terms of how disruptive these players are.
"
Kendrick Ellis I think has the potential to be as good as Taylor, but he dominated inferior competition. Taylor was an absolute force against anyone -- top competition included. Seemed almost uncontainable at times out there.

Some say that Stephen Paea could play the 3-4 NT position, and I suppose he's a possible candidate for the Fangio 3-4, but the dropoff, while not enormous, is fairly significant in terms of how disruptive these players are.
"
Kendrick Ellis I think has the potential to be as good as Taylor, but he dominated inferior competition. Taylor was an absolute force against anyone -- top competition included. Seemed almost uncontainable at times out there.

I think the dropoff from Taylor to the next 3-4 NT is pretty extreme. I don't see the same dropoff at OLB from the first to third rounders.

"
Kendrick Ellis I think has the potential to be as good as Taylor, but he dominated inferior competition. Taylor was an absolute force against anyone -- top competition included. Seemed almost uncontainable at times out there.[/quote]

Wow, that's a pretty big time statement. Sorry if I'm asking alot of questions as I dont mean to hog the gurus (you and MD), but how do you think he ranks verses BJ Raja coming out?

MD- please feel free to wiegh in if interested.

"
Kendrick Ellis I think has the potential to be as good as Taylor, but he dominated inferior competition. Taylor was an absolute force against anyone -- top competition included. Seemed almost uncontainable at times out there.[/quote]

Wow, that's a pretty big time statement. Sorry if I'm asking alot of questions as I dont mean to hog the gurus (you and MD), but how do you think he ranks verses BJ Raja coming out?

MD- please feel free to wiegh in if interested.

My personal opinion on that -- I think Taylor is even better than Raji. And don't worry, I love the questions. As a passionate draftnik, the more I can talk about prospects, the better.

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Apr 29, 2011 at 10:22:48 ]

Bump for tracking update.

Accuracy tracking (within four picks or better):

Direct hit on Newton at 1, and Taylor at 21.
Within 1 pick of Dareus, Von Miller, Peterson, and Jimmy Smith.
Within 2 picks of Muhammad Wilkerson.
Within 3 picks of Julio Jones.
Within 4 picks of Aldon Smith, Tyron Smith, Locker, Quinn, Liuget, Kerrigan, Pouncey, and Castonzo.

Total correct out of top 32: 26.

Total correct out of top 64:
TBD.

Total correct out of all 254: TBD.

Within 4 picks of Aldon Smith, Tyron Smith, Locker, Quinn, Liuget, Kerrigan, Pouncey, and Castonzo.

TBD.

thoughts for today
Originally posted by jreff22:

TBD.

thoughts for today

I believe the 49ers will target the BPA with the next two picks, and not necessarily a QB like many think. While I don't think we'll leave this draft without drafting a QB, it may not be until the 4th or later.

Positions I believe the 49ers will focus on in our next two picks will likely be CB and DL. However, RB and WR aren't out of the question with guys like Ryan Williams, Kendall Hunter, and LeShoure still out there and Randall Cobb, Torrey Smith, Greg Little, etc.

If you're a 49ers fan who doesn't mind seeing Alex Smith coming back, you should hope for the BPA to be our next pick. QB likely will not be the BPA at 45, but we'll see what Baalke and Co. decide to do.

TBD.

thoughts for today

I believe the 49ers will target the BPA with the next two picks, and not necessarily a QB like many think. While I don't think we'll leave this draft without drafting a QB, it may not be until the 4th or later.

Positions I believe the 49ers will focus on in our next two picks will likely be CB and DL. However, RB and WR aren't out of the question with guys like Ryan Williams, Kendall Hunter, and LeShoure still out there and Randall Cobb, Torrey Smith, Greg Little, etc.

If you're a 49ers fan who doesn't mind seeing Alex Smith coming back, you should hope for the BPA to be our next pick. QB likely will not be the BPA at 45, but we'll see what Baalke and Co. decide to do.

Stephan Paea
Originally posted by Jakemall:

TBD.

thoughts for today

Stephan Paea

Indeed, he could very well be sitting there at 45. It has been debated that he's not the best fit as a 3-4 NT prospect, but we all know you don't have to be a 340 pound monster to play NT, especially in Fangio's scheme.

I think in regard to a QB, people need to understand that getting a later-round QB is a much better plan if Alex is indeed coming back like it seems may happen. Clearly, no rookie is going to outperform a solid (though unspectacular) veteran in their first year, barring a miracle.

So letting us develop a guy while Alex starts will put us in a position to still WIN next year and then likely via trades, etc., we can go and get "the guy" that will be our franchise QB next year; someone way, way more NFL ready than any of this year's crop.

Look at the possible QB's in next years crop: Andrew Luck, Matt Barkley, Landry Jones, Robert Griffin, Terrelle Pryor, Kirk Cousins, Ryan Lindley, Nick Foles, and Kellen Moore. I mean, wow! This is not the year to draft for your future.
Share 49ersWebzone