LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 269 users in the forums

MadDog's Final 254 Draft Board

• fryet
  • Veteran
Yes, I am serious, and I haven't even heard him talked about in the various websites. No, I don't watch college football.
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Stay thirsty my friend!!

Now head over to Schmidt's for brat and a brew, Dos Equis of course.

I see you have Ponder at 28, I hope that is the Niners trading with NE. I think Ponder would be a good fit for Harbaugh and his version of the WCO.

It is a trade up. NE holds a lot of cards in this draft, and will probably be a major player...again.
Originally posted by jta854:
I know that Fairley has be beat down, but I doubt that he falls out of the top 10.

I know I am on the extreme end of the edge with Fairley going so late. I just think the maturity issue is going to cost him a couple handful of slots. We'll soon see.
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
If we select Tyrod Taylor, i think i will cry. He is equal to Troy Smith.

I tend to think Harbaugh is going to let things settle out at QB for his first year, and not burn a high draftee on a QB. I honestly think he wants to give Alex a shot in 2011.

Taylor, due to the inflationary nature of this draft, in regards to QB's going so early, will probably be a fourth or fifth rounder. He's more than likely a developmental, backup QB, but Harbaugh loves athletic QB's, and Taylor fits that mold for a guy who is a third day draftee.
Looking at the groupings, the 2nd round pick doesn't really have a BAP that also fills a need. If it played out similar, I would love to see the 9ers trade down and somehow get Stanzi, Houston, and Acho/C. Carter.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Great job as always Maddog. If Peterson/VM are off the board, I would try to trade down to 10-13 and take Jimmy Smith. I like him better than Prince and we could nab extra picks.
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
Looking at the groupings, the 2nd round pick doesn't really have a BAP that also fills a need. If it played out similar, I would love to see the 9ers trade down and somehow get Stanzi, Houston, and Acho/C. Carter.

Yeah, that is a thing i mentioned on my board, too. It looks like there won't be much value for the niners when they pick in the 2nd round. The end of the 2nd and the 3rd round look much better. So i could definitly be an option, to trade down to the bottom of the 2nd round and get back a 3rd or 4th rounder maybe used earlier to trade up.
Originally posted by jta854:
Originally posted by miked1978:
I like the Tyrod Taylor pick. Dude could be as good as Vick. He's already ahead of Vick in so many categories when Vick came out of college.

Really? Taylor isn't even in the same ballpark as Vick IMO.

Athletic wise no he's not. But Frank Beamer trusted Taylor more. He actually read defenses and called audibles. Something Vick didn't do in college.
I wonder if all this talk about 5+ QB's going in the first round is really just smoke and mirrors. If I was a team in the 20's I would love to create the fantasy that any and every half-decent QB is going to be taken before pick 45.

The reality is players like Andy Dalton were given 3+ round grades not more than a month ago.

Based on my impressions of this QB class, I do not think all these QB's will be coming off the board this early. A QB with an average arm is a QB with an average arm, and no amount of hype should change that.

I think what's going on with the QB's is similar to what's going on with Patrick Peterson. The guy is a top 5 talent, so I have trouble seeing how he makes it to the 49ers. I think a lot of these "draftniks" get caught up in "right fits"....for example, the draft looks good if Peterson falls to S.F.

[ Edited by bzborow1 on Apr 27, 2011 at 10:19:41 ]
Originally posted by Amir_Mamu:
Great job as always Maddog. If Peterson/VM are off the board, I would try to trade down to 10-13 and take Jimmy Smith. I like him better than Prince and we could nab extra picks.

Jimmy Smith could go a lot earlier than people think. Although he is never going to win Citizen of the Year, after Peterson, Prince, and Smith, the CB pool drops off badly. CB-starved teams are going to have to move up to get him.

Originally posted by bzborow1:
I wonder if all this talk about 5+ QB's going in the first round is really just smoke and mirrors. If I was a team in the 20's I would love to create the fantasy that any and every half-decent QB is going to be taken before pick 45.

The reality is players like Andy Dalton were given 3+ round grades not more than a month ago.

Based on my impressions of this QB class, I do not think all these QB's will be coming off the board this early. A QB with an average arm is a QB with an average arm, and no amount of hype should change that.

I think what's going on with the QB's is similar to what's going on with Patrick Peterson. The guy is a top 5 talent, so I have trouble seeing how he makes it to the 49ers. I think a lot of these "draftniks" get caught up in "right fits"....for example, the draft looks good if Peterson falls to S.F.

I think the perfect storm of aging QB's (McNabb), QB's refusing to report to their team (Palmer), QB's who never developed as expected (Henne in Miami, Jackson in Minnesota, Young in Tennessee, Smith in SF), and the uncertaintly of the CBA have really created a huge need for teams to pull the lever, and control their own destiny by drafting a QB, even at an inflationary price, instead of sitting back and waiting for things to sort out.

However, I could be quite wrong in this prediction.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

Jimmy Smith could go a lot earlier than people think. Although he is never going to win Citizen of the Year, after Peterson, Prince, and Smith, the CB pool drops off badly. CB-starved teams are going to have to move up to get him.

All it takes is one team to believe in Jimmy Smith. This is from the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinal from yesterday....

Quote:
In a poll of 24 NFL personnel execs, 11 said they would not draft Colorado CB Jimmy Smith in the first two rounds.
"He's as athletically gifted as Asomugha," an NFC personnel director said. "He's got all the ability in the world. He also could be a supreme punk." Don Gregory of the Panthers believes Smith will be a "shutdown corner" while the Ravens' Eric DeCosta calls him an "elite corner." One executive is convinced Smith is a "carbon copy of Aqib Talib," right down to the behavioral problems. "Two abortions, aggravated assault, two minors in possession, three failed drug tests (including one for misusing codeine)," said the exec, "that's a little excessive."
Originally posted by KRS-1:

All it takes is one team to believe in Jimmy Smith. This is from the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinal from yesterday....

Quote:
In a poll of 24 NFL personnel execs, 11 said they would not draft Colorado CB Jimmy Smith in the first two rounds.
"He's as athletically gifted as Asomugha," an NFC personnel director said. "He's got all the ability in the world. He also could be a supreme punk." Don Gregory of the Panthers believes Smith will be a "shutdown corner" while the Ravens' Eric DeCosta calls him an "elite corner." One executive is convinced Smith is a "carbon copy of Aqib Talib," right down to the behavioral problems. "Two abortions, aggravated assault, two minors in possession, three failed drug tests (including one for misusing codeine)," said the exec, "that's a little excessive."

The dropoff between the top three CB's and the next one off the board is so extreme that teams are going to throw caution to the wind. Look for Philly to make a move up the board.
Originally posted by JoseCortez:
If we select Tyrod Taylor, i think i will cry. He is equal to Troy Smith.

I tend to think Harbaugh is going to let things settle out at QB for his first year, and not burn a high draftee on a QB. I honestly think he wants to give Alex a shot in 2011.

Taylor, due to the inflationary nature of this draft, in regards to QB's going so early, will probably be a fourth or fifth rounder. He's more than likely a developmental, backup QB, but Harbaugh loves athletic QB's, and Taylor fits that mold for a guy who is a third day draftee.

From your lips to God's ears (metaphorically). The mentality (desperate QB search) that is sweeping the Zone right now, is the same mentality that allows teams like the Pats to take other teams draft lunch money, year after year.
  • dj43
Originally posted by bzborow1:

I think the perfect storm of aging QB's (McNabb), QB's refusing to report to their team (Palmer), QB's who never developed as expected (Henne in Miami, Jackson in Minnesota, Young in Tennessee, Smith in SF), and the uncertaintly of the CBA have really created a huge need for teams to pull the lever, and control their own destiny by drafting a QB, even at an inflationary price, instead of sitting back and waiting for things to sort out.

However, I could be quite wrong in this prediction.
I don't think you are wrong.

I have been watching this league for 30 years and cannot remember a time when so many teams had poor-to-mediocre QBs. There will be at least 12 teams that will be trying to solve their QB problems in this draft, and that means will pay an inflated price for a QB.
Share 49ersWebzone