LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 252 users in the forums

My dream comgination for drafting qb's

Originally posted by Aussie49er:
Honesty stockpiling draft picks for next year will only lead to greater things in the future. Even if Luck isn't the man we go after having options in a draft where a season is guaranteed is better than wasting picks on players who may have to sit a year.

I'm not sure about stockpiling, per say. However, don't think any QB in this draft will be worth their draft position.

I mean, consider if Matt Ryan, Sam Bradford, or even Matthew Stafford were in this draft, Gabbert and Newton would be afterthoughts, as would Dalton, Ponder, Kaepernick, etc... I think that these QBs are over-rated because of a lack to true depth, and because of the lack of FA.
Scott
Originally posted by feeblefreestyler:
Honesty stockpiling draft picks for next year will only lead to greater things in the future. Even if Luck isn't the man we go after having options in a draft where a season is guaranteed is better than wasting picks on players who may have to sit a year.

I'm not sure about stockpiling, per say. However, don't think any QB in this draft will be worth their draft position.

I mean, consider if Matt Ryan, Sam Bradford, or even Matthew Stafford were in this draft, Gabbert and Newton would be afterthoughts, as would Dalton, Ponder, Kaepernick, etc... I think that these QBs are over-rated because of a lack to true depth, and because of the lack of FA.
Scott

That could be true but I remember this board in '05 and everyone constantly complaining that it was a terrible year to have the #1 overall pick because there wasn't a true standout franchise QB in the draft. Well, we all know how that turned out.

Scott

Well anyone worried about lack of FA is lacking in intelligence. I mean if there is a season there will be FA signing. If there isn't a season the 1 QB on our roster will be just fine. Alex Smith > any QB rookie this season, coming from an Alex Smith hater too.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I think I'd be most pleased with us signing Haselbeck and drafting Dalton, Ponder or Stanzi (in that order) in the 2nd.

Option B: I'd also like to see us swap picks with Philly for Kolb, then draft someone like, Phil Taylor, Cam Jordan, Watt, J. Smith, Kerrigan or Clayborn.

As long as we start the season with a veteran, not named Carr, I'll be happy/content. Secrectly, I'm hoping for a Josh Johnson trade (3rd probably) and drafting Stanzi, Tyrod Taylor, or another mid-late round guy.
Originally posted by ghostrider:

Scott

That could be true but I remember this board in '05 and everyone constantly complaining that it was a terrible year to have the #1 overall pick because there wasn't a true standout franchise QB in the draft. Well, we all know how that turned out.

If only we were Packer fans...
Scott

Scott

Well anyone worried about lack of FA is lacking in intelligence. I mean if there is a season there will be FA signing. If there isn't a season the 1 QB on our roster will be just fine. Alex Smith > any QB rookie this season, coming from an Alex Smith hater too.

Right, there will definitely be a FA, but there is still uncertainty pertaining to it. I could be an abbreviated version of FA, or... I don't really know.

In any case, my comment was based on Mayock's take from this Chron Story

Quote:
There's going to be a feeding frenzy for quarterbacks because of the lack of free agency," NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock said. "Since 1950, I don't think there have been eight quarterbacks taken in the first three rounds. I think that's going to happen this year. There's probably seven of the top 10 teams (in the draft) that need quarterbacks.

Scott

Scott

Scott

it was a terrible year for #1 spot we had a terrible o line (no good OT) no WR's (edwards was ok not worth the pick) and our D was flat out terrible

we had no talent on our team whatso ever no qb would have survived on our team what we needed was to fix our o line before we take qb (thats what smart teams do) unfortunately we did opposite
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

Scott

Scott

it was a terrible year for #1 spot we had a terrible o line (no good OT) no WR's (edwards was ok not worth the pick) and our D was flat out terrible

we had no talent on our team whatso ever no qb would have survived on our team what we needed was to fix our o line before we take qb (thats what smart teams do) unfortunately we did opposite

I pleaded my case foe Antrel Rolle that year on these boards.
I'll also add that if we draft a QB in the 1st round, I hope it's Ryan Mallett (not at #7 though).

Originally posted by strickac:
I'll also add that if we draft a QB in the 1st round, I hope it's Ryan Mallett (not at #7 though).

Isn't that the guy who basically said "Check my stats?". If so no thanks, I'd rather David Carr
gabbert in the 1st

stanzi in the 3rd
The QB roster I want going into this season is:

Alex Smith
Josh Johnson
Jake Locker/Colin Kaepernick
Adam Froman (practice squad)

Admittedly, not a lot of proven talent there. But all those guys have the potential to do well with Harbaugh. And I think at least one of them would shine.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
gabbert in the 1st

stanzi in the 3rd

no gabbert
MALLETT
Share 49ersWebzone