There are 168 users in the forums

My dream comgination for drafting qb's

Scenario 1.

1. Trade down in 1st round, grab Christian Ponder and Colin Kaepernick.

2. Draft Gabbert at #7 and stanzi in 4th round.

3. Draft Dalton at 45 and stanzi in 4th round.

4. Draft Dalton at 45 and Devlin from Delaware in 5th round.

Develop two rookie qb's simultaneously. You NEED two qb's in this league. This hedges the chances that Harbaugh will hit on at least one in his initial draft. If they both work out, trade one for picks, if one is superior and the other one a capable back up, sign them to contract extensions sooner than later. If they both bust, get rid of them within 3 years.

No more Nooses around the 9ers necks, if a qb cannot produce by end of year 3, cut them.
I like a combination of either Jake Locker or Colin Kaepernick and Adam Froman.

Froman could picked up with one of our many 6th or 7th round picks, and has a similar physical tool set to Locker and Kaepernick. He's just a lot more raw. But I like the idea of having a backup QB that's similar to your starting QB. It makes the transition less painful if they have to come in.
Drafting two QBs seems so unconventional wisdom. But, I really like it. Glad we drafted to OLs last year. Harbaugh is likely to at least develop one QB into something special.
1. Trade down to (10) or (12) and select Ryan Mallet. Trade a 4th next year for Josh Johnson. Sign Alex Smith.

This scenario protects us today and tomorrow. I'm certain one of JJ, AS or RM would be ready to start and play at a slightly above to above average level. It also gives us two guys who are young and who have the potential to develop into franchise QB's.
Y not, not pick a quarterback this year, sign a vet to a 1 year deal, and use our second and third to get a player that will make a difference like an Akeem ayers or a jabaal sheard or a dontay moch. Then try to trade a pick or 2 for Andrew luck next year. None of the quarterback in this draft will be ready to step in this year, they all need seasoning. So y not fill the other needs that can get it done this year rather than banking on a quarterback we don't love..
?
  • krizay
  • Veteran
this is what I posted in the drafting 2 qb's thread.

Quote:
Would provide competition for both QB's. Not too mention in theory they'd likely get the same tutledge right out of the gate as opposed to trying to coach up the starter and letting the backup guy basically learn from watching

I for one thinks the longer this "lockout"/non offseason goes on the better the idea of drafting 2 guys.

If it drags all the way up til the regular season, this season is a wash for us anyway. With new coaches, schemes and what not. So why not use the "wasted" season on 2 young guys to gain a year of "experience"

With all that said, only if you feel you have 2 guys that fit what you're doing all the while getting "value" (hate that phrase during draft time. )getting 2 qb's just to get 2 qb's would be a waste.
I thought I was drunk when I read the title of this thread.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I dont think any of these QBs are worth dreaming over.

Any QB drafted THIS year is just plain stupid. None are worthy of a number 1 pick AND this upcoming season IF ever happens won't be worth a DARN.

Stockpile picks for next years draft and go after players then, this season could end up toast, or close to it. Yay lets draft rookies that won't get paid and have no experience and hope they can stay in football shape on their own.
Originally posted by Aussie49er:
Any QB drafted THIS year is just plain stupid. None are worthy of a number 1 pick AND this upcoming season IF ever happens won't be worth a DARN.

Stockpile picks for next years draft and go after players then, this season could end up toast, or close to it. Yay lets draft rookies that won't get paid and have no experience and hope they can stay in football shape on their own.

I guess we will know in 3-5 years. However the Niners have 1 qb on their roster, with no FA and you cannot get trades for vets, you still do not think it would be wise to draft a qb??
Originally posted by 9erred:
Originally posted by Aussie49er:

I guess we will know in 3-5 years. However the Niners have 1 qb on their roster, with no FA and you cannot get trades for vets, you still do not think it would be wise to draft a qb??

I would seriously try and get out of the the first 2 rounds, maybe even 3. At pick 7 in the second round its quite possible to possible get a future 1st rounder for it as the same for the 3rd round pick possible getting a future 2nd. Its possible, not saying its a lock.

As for no FA's. the only way there will be no FA signing is if there is no season at all. If that the case who cares how many QB's we have anyway. If there is a season there will be FA signings, and though I hate him, I'd prefer bring back Alex Smith to sail the rock oceans that will be the 2011 season. If there was ever a season that a fanbase can forgive its team for sucking, this upcoming (if it even happens) is one of those seasons.
Honesty stockpiling draft picks for next year will only lead to greater things in the future. Even if Luck isn't the man we go after having options in a draft where a season is guaranteed is better than wasting picks on players who may have to sit a year.
"Y not, not..."

Share 49ersWebzone