LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 257 users in the forums

Tico's Final 2011 NFL Mock Draft

I have a few surprises in store in the first round for sure and some familiar names become Niners! Enjoy!

1 Car Newton
I'm not buying the DT route. If you have a chance at a Franchise QB at #1, you have to take him. Parcell's still is kicking himself for not taking Ryan instead of Long. Rivera gets HIS QB of the future.

2 Den Dareus
BPA and no Gabbert is not going to be the next Elway. They go with the closest to a sure thing as possible in a strong position of need. Stick him in and watch him play havoc on the AFC West.

3 Buf Gabbert
Fitzpatrick a franchise QB? LOL Yea, right. I don't think so especially compared to Gabbert. Fitz is a journeyman seventh rounder and now with a mediocre season, he's anointed as their savior at QB? C'mon now! Gailey, a QB coach, takes his franchise QB since there is no OT worth it.

4 Cincy Peterson
WTH? Yup, BPA period. Green was a choice, but they could get so much more out of Peterson than Green for better value. Peterson can also increase their success in the return game, too, while taking over for a FA Joesph as their #1 CB.

5 AZ Von Miller
Well, this is as a no brainer as you can get. No QB so BPA in a position of strong need and Miller fits the bill in droves. Their new D coordinator is turning cartwheels!

6 Clev Green
They can't believe their luck. Green slips out of Cincy's hands and into Clev's laps. He now becomes their #1 WR to pair with McCoy. Sure they could go with Fairly or Quinn, but Green is certainly BPA in an area of need. WR it is!

7 SF Quinn, DE/OLB, North Carolina
Seeing how all the "elite" prospects and the QBs are gone, they go with the pass rusher in Quinn even though he is raw for the 3-4 OLB position. His upside, work ethic, and elite skills make him the ideal pick for Fangio and Leavitt to mold. Also, Fangio does use some 4-3 schemes on third down so it's not that much of a learning curve. Baalke believes that there is value in the second round for a CB so no Amukamara and he's right.

8 Tenn Fairley
9 Dal T. Smith
10 Wash Jones
11 Hou Amukamara
12 Minny Luiget
13 Det Bowers
14 StL A. Smith
15 Mia Dalton--Surprise #1
16 Jax Mallett--Surprise #2
17 NE Watt
18 SD Jordan
19 NYG Castonzo
20 TB Kerrigan
21 KC Pouncey
22 Ind Carimi
23 Phi J. Smith
24 NO Wilkerson
25 Sea Heyward
26 Bal Solder
27 Atl Rudolph
28 Cincy Ponder
29 Chi Sherrod
30 NYJ Taylor
31 Pitt Harris
32 GB Reed

RD 2 45 SF Ras-I Dowling, CB, Virginia
Deemed as a potential first rounder at the begining of the college season until injuries dropped him to the fringe 2nd and 3rd. He jumped back up after a great off season work out. Tall, great fluid hips, and recovery speed with great hands. Great press man who loves to tackle in space, but can also work the zone. Will compete for and win the #1 spot against Spencer and Brown. Great value here.

RD 3 76 SF Ricky Stanzi, QB, Iowa
With all the QBs in the second being overvalued and reached, Baalke and Harbaugh
patiently wait for their future franchise QB in Stanzi. Given Harbaugh's M.O., Stanzi fits all of his critera especially in the character and leadership traits--He, too, was known as Capt'n Comeback in 2009. Sure he doesn't have Kaep's or Dalton's arm, but he has better accuracy than both to rival that of Ponder's. However, he did play in a "pro-style" offense at Iowa. Harbaugh will mold him well and ramp him up quickly. Another great value given the cost of QBs.

Rd 4 108 SF Shane Vereen, RB Cal
Pac-10 RB who Harbaugh knows well playing against him. A versatile RB who can provide great hands and a quick change of pace from Dixon and Gore. Very strong at the POA and makes players miss. Even at 5'10", he's a terrific inside runner, too.

RD 4 115 SF Sione Fua, NT Stanford
Fangio gets one of his guys back from Stanford. Fua understands Fangio's D well and excelled in it. He's not the 330 pound fattie, but he's more like Franklin. He can increase the weight and strength as time moves on, but he certainly would ramp up faster than any other NT prospect in the draft.

RD 5 141 SF Owen Marecic, FB, Stanford
Perfect fit and find! He too already knows Harbaugh's and Roman's system as a FB. The learning curve will not be as steep and he can immediately help with ST, too. He also played LB for Fangio so his versatility provides great value in the fifth. Rathman gets a new toy!

RD 6 174 SF David Carter, DT/DE, UCLA
A solid 3-4 5-tech who did well in the East-West Shrine game and also at UCLA's pro day. Since he played in the Pac-10, Fangio and Tomsula have great tape on him. He will take over for possibly RJF in the development dept. while RJF moves to fill McDonald's shoes.

RD 6 190 SF Jake Kirkpatrick, C, TCU
We need a Center to develop and find Andy Dalton's. A hard working, brainy mauler who was one of six finalists for the best Center in college. He also played on STs. As a sixth rounder, he definitely could become a valuable pick.

RD 7 211 SF Andrew Jackson, OG, Fresno State
A solid four year starter who missed some time his senior year to a high ankle sprain. He also contributed to ST, blocking three kicks and was projected as one of the nation's best OGs.

RD 7 231 SF Zach Pianalto, TE, North Carolina
Nice size with toughness to boot. Great at in-line blocking while having soft hands with a knack at finding holes in the zone. Perfect for Harbaugh and Roman. Will also compete for STs.

OOPS forgot this one: RD 7 239 SF Aldrick Robinson, WR, SMU
A speedy receiver to compete against Ziggy. We need more speed on the outside and for a seventh, eh.

RD 7 250 SF Kai Forbath, K, UCLA
An inexpensive pick to provide competition against Nedney. Does well over 40 yards. Missed his only attempt (49 yds) against Stanford - snapping a streak of 40 consecutive field goals made inside of 50 yards. Made all 27 extra points this year.

Well there you are!

I do think that we will trade out of our #7 spot either up or down given what happens at #3 -#6. I still believe Baalke will go get his guy either Peterson or Miller at #4. If not, I believe he will trade down from #7.

We shall see. Happy Draft Week everyone!!!

[ Edited by ninertico on Apr 25, 2011 at 2:53 PM ]
dont want Quinn. too much around him does not feel right. Trade down if Miller/Peterson are gone.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Nice mock, I would definetly cream my pants.
I love it. Don't you mean "AFC West" on the Dareus pick?
[ Edited by DaDivaRecieva15 on Apr 25, 2011 at 2:45 PM ]
Originally posted by Jamespowers:
dont want Quinn. too much around him does not feel right. Trade down if Miller/Peterson are gone.

I understand. However, I feel the pros have a great handle on it and Quinn passes with flying colors especially in the skill dept. He was once considered a top three pick if he had played last year. All assumptions for sure, but there is no denying his ability.

Originally posted by mayo49:
Nice mock, I would definetly cream my pants.

Thanks man! Yup, I would have to be changing my shorts for sure if it all turned out that way.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
This is a 7 player draft.
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
I love it. Don't you mean "AFC West" on the Dareus pick?

Doh....my name is Tico. I'm only three and half yeaz old!

Originally posted by Jamespowers:

i agree, i would rather pass on him. but overall good mock for 49ers.

not that is matters, but i hear on ESPN that mallets stock is falling a little. i think he'll be drafted in late 2nd
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I'd be happy with Quinn, we need a good pass rusher.

Its funny how in every mock they have Owen guy from Stanford going to the niners. Its like its gonna be a mild upset if that doesn't happen.
like it dowling might be had in later rounds

I think if they like Stanzi so much, and they very well might, then grab him in the second round over an injury prone CB. Dowling ran a great 40 but pulled a muscle at the end of it. I think you take a QB you feel strongly about like Stanzi in the second and sort through whoever's left at corner in the third.

also, I'm not sold on Quinn at all. He might be way better in a 4-3 and didn't even play last year so that's too high for him there.
Amukamara not qinn
I've been driving the Quinn bandwagon for a while...so any draft with him gets a thumbs up from me.
Tico,
You and I are matching on several picks much like last year when you and I picked Davis, Iupati and Bynum.
Originally posted by ninertico:
I have a few surprises in store in the first round for sure and some familiar names become Niners! Enjoy!

1 Car Newton
I'm not buying the DT route. If you have a chance at a Franchise QB at #1, you have to take him. Parcell's still is kicking himself for not taking Ryan instead of Long. Rivera gets HIS QB of the future.

2 Den Dareus
BPA and no Gabbert is not going to be the next Elway. They go with the closest to a sure thing as possible in a strong position of need. Stick him in and watch him play havoc on the AFC West.

3 Buf Gabbert
Fitzpatrick a franchise QB? LOL Yea, right. I don't think so especially compared to Gabbert. Fitz is a journeyman seventh rounder and now with a mediocre season, he's anointed as their savior at QB? C'mon now! Gailey, a QB coach, takes his franchise QB since there is no OT worth it.

4 Cincy Peterson
WTH? Yup, BPA period. Green was a choice, but they could get so much more out of Peterson than Green for better value. Peterson can also increase their success in the return game, too, while taking over for a FA Joesph as their #1 CB.

5 AZ Von Miller
Well, this is as a no brainer as you can get. No QB so BPA in a position of strong need and Miller fits the bill in droves. Their new D coordinator is turning cartwheels!

6 Clev Green
They can't believe their luck. Green slips out of Cincy's hands and into Clev's laps. He now becomes their #1 WR to pair with McCoy. Sure they could go with Fairly or Quinn, but Green is certainly BPA in an area of need. WR it is!

7 SF Quinn, DE/OLB, North Carolina
Seeing how all the "elite" prospects and the QBs are gone, they go with the pass rusher in Quinn even though he is raw for the 3-4 OLB position. His upside, work ethic, and elite skills make him the ideal pick for Fangio and Leavitt to mold. Also, Fangio does use some 4-3 schemes on third down so it's not that much of a learning curve. Baalke believes that there is value in the second round for a CB so no Amukamara and he's right.

8 Tenn Fairley
9 Dal T. Smith
10 Wash Jones
11 Hou Amukamara
12 Minny Luiget
13 Det Bowers
14 StL A. Smith
15 Mia Dalton--Surprise #1
16 Jax Mallett--Surprise #2
17 NE Watt
18 SD Jordan
19 NYG Castonzo
20 TB Kerrigan
21 KC Pouncey
22 Ind Carimi
23 Phi J. Smith
24 NO Wilkerson
25 Sea Heyward
26 Bal Solder
27 Atl Rudolph
28 Cincy Ponder
29 Chi Sherrod
30 NYJ Taylor
31 Pitt Harris
32 GB Reed

RD 2 45 SF Ras-I Dowling, CB, Virginia
Deemed as a potential first rounder at the begining of the college season until injuries dropped him to the fringe 2nd and 3rd. He jumped back up after a great off season work out. Tall, great fluid hips, and recovery speed with great hands. Great press man who loves to tackle in space, but can also work the zone. Will compete for and win the #1 spot against Spencer and Brown. Great value here.

RD 3 76 SF Ricky Stanzi, QB, Iowa
With all the QBs in the second being overvalued and reached, Baalke and Harbaugh
patiently wait for their future franchise QB in Stanzi. Given Harbaugh's M.O., Stanzi fits all of his critera especially in the character and leadership traits--He, too, was known as Capt'n Comeback in 2009. Sure he doesn't have Kaep's or Dalton's arm, but he has better accuracy than both to rival that of Ponder's. However, he did play in a "pro-style" offense at Iowa. Harbaugh will mold him well and ramp him up quickly. Another great value given the cost of QBs.

Rd 4 108 SF Shane Vereen, RB Cal
Pac-10 RB who Harbaugh knows well playing against him. A versatile RB who can provide great hands and a quick change of pace from Dixon and Gore. Very strong at the POA and makes players miss. Even at 5'10", he's a terrific inside runner, too.

RD 4 115 SF Sione Fua, NT Stanford
Fangio gets one of his guys back from Stanford. Fua understands Fangio's D well and excelled in it. He's not the 330 pound fattie, but he's more like Franklin. He can increase the weight and strength as time moves on, but he certainly would ramp up faster than any other NT prospect in the draft.

RD 5 141 SF Owen Marecic, FB, Stanford
Perfect fit and find! He too already knows Harbaugh's and Roman's system as a FB. The learning curve will not be as steep and he can immediately help with ST, too. He also played LB for Fangio so his versatility provides great value in the fifth. Rathman gets a new toy!

RD 6 174 SF David Carter, DT/DE, UCLA
A solid 3-4 5-tech who did well in the East-West Shrine game and also at UCLA's pro day. Since he played in the Pac-10, Fangio and Tomsula have great tape on him. He will take over for possibly RJF in the development dept. while RJF moves to fill McDonald's shoes.

RD 6 190 SF Jake Kirkpatrick, C, TCU
We need a Center to develop and find Andy Dalton's. A hard working, brainy mauler who was one of six finalists for the best Center in college. He also played on STs. As a sixth rounder, he definitely could become a valuable pick.

RD 7 211 SF Andrew Jackson, OG, Fresno State
A solid four year starter who missed some time his senior year to a high ankle sprain. He also contributed to ST, blocking three kicks and was projected as one of the nation's best OGs.

RD 7 231 SF Zach Pianalto, TE, North Carolina
Nice size with toughness to boot. Great at in-line blocking while having soft hands with a knack at finding holes in the zone. Perfect for Harbaugh and Roman. Will also compete for STs.

OOPS forgot this one: RD 7 239 SF Aldrick Robinson, WR, SMU
A speedy receiver to compete against Ziggy. We need more speed on the outside and for a seventh, eh.

RD 7 250 SF Kai Forbath, K, UCLA
An inexpensive pick to provide competition against Nedney. Does well over 40 yards. Missed his only attempt (49 yds) against Stanford - snapping a streak of 40 consecutive field goals made inside of 50 yards. Made all 27 extra points this year.

Well there you are!

I do think that we will trade out of our #7 spot either up or down given what happens at #3 -#6. I still believe Baalke will go get his guy either Peterson or Miller at #4. If not, I believe he will trade down from #7.

We shall see. Happy Draft Week everyone!!!

I like it. I still think if PP is not there we should try to trade back. The value for us is too good in the middle rounds this year.
Share 49ersWebzone