LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 269 users in the forums

Was it a good move drafting 2 O-linemen last year?

Was it a good move drafting 2 O-linemen last year?

From a pass protection standpoint, your OL is only as strong as your weakest man. Right now, RG is our weak link. So, to finish the job we should draft a G/C in the 2nd round.
Originally posted by excelsior:
From a pass protection standpoint, your OL is only as strong as your weakest man. Right now, RG is our weak link. So, to finish the job we should draft a G/C in the 2nd round.

I say 4th-6th round they go guard or center. the first 3 rounds will be fixing the defense and finding a QB.
  • dwett
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Wubbie:
From a long-term perspective, it was a VERY good move. With Staley, Iupati, Davis, and possibly Baas... that's a very solid nucleus of offensive linemen. We've clearly invested in the offensive line.

From a short-term perspective, it was a very poor move. With a shaky QB situation with Alex Smith, David Carr, and Troy Smith... having 2 rookies on the offensive line made a questionable situation even worse.

But I'm very excited going into the future though.

Exactally, we all talk about how important winning the battle of the treches is and this move gave us two young players who can do just that. While you can argue the trade up to get Davis we really did not reach on either player.

The only question now is if these two men will pan out. That is yet to be seen but it does give us some stability there going forward and it also gives us the ability to not look at OL until later in the draft.
It was a great move. At the time it showed Alex some faith, even though it was through rookies, and now we are set up for the future to have a good pocket for a new QB to come in and hopefully become star-bound.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BillWalsh:
In reality Anthony Davis might end up being so good we move him to the left and Staley back to the right and Iupati looks like a future pro bowler. I was happy with the draft and it hardly cost us anything to move up two spots for Davis. If both of these guys are solid, which they look to be, then this draft was an A.

In fact I just read a magazine that said the same thing, Iupati already looks like the real deal and if Davis turns out well then the mag says we get an automatic A grade. Bowman also looks to be a future starter at ILB next to Willis and Mays for where he was drafted was a good pick at the time but time will tell on him. The first 4 picks are 4 likely starters in the future so I say good job Baalke.

dont forget a solid pick in dixon too
i loved it but anthony davis wasnt the best choice
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
i loved it but anthony davis wasnt the best choice

I am ok with taking 2OL, I am not ok with giving up a 4th round pick. That would have been out DL pick that went to Eagles instead.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Considering the state of the o-line before the draft last year, yes we needed to take 2. Davis was 20 years old and probably needed a little grooming before starting. I do however think he will be solid at least and Iupati is a future pro-bowler
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
In reality Anthony Davis might end up being so good we move him to the left and Staley back to the right and Iupati looks like a future pro bowler. I was happy with the draft and it hardly cost us anything to move up two spots for Davis. If both of these guys are solid, which they look to be, then this draft was an A.

In fact I just read a magazine that said the same thing, Iupati already looks like the real deal and if Davis turns out well then the mag says we get an automatic A grade. Bowman also looks to be a future starter at ILB next to Willis and Mays for where he was drafted was a good pick at the time but time will tell on him. The first 4 picks are 4 likely starters in the future so I say good job Baalke.

Meh I don't think Dixon is that great. I think any runningback drafted should have atleast a 4 yard average. He also doesn't use his body the way he should. I didn't see him punish anyone except in preseason. Otherwise he ran like a much smaller guy. He could still pan out though forsure.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran

Meh I don't think Dixon is that great. I think any runningback drafted should have atleast a 4 yard average. He also doesn't use his body the way he should. I didn't see him punish anyone except in preseason. Otherwise he ran like a much smaller guy. He could still pan out though forsure.

Most of his carries came in short yardage situations, hard to average 4 yards when youre in there on 3rd/4th and 1's and the whole defense is ready for you. For a 6th round pick, i think it was pretty solid

Maybe when we trade back with NE we can pick up Ingram and Locker. I could handle that over a sure thing PP.

Most of his carries came in short yardage situations, hard to average 4 yards when youre in there on 3rd/4th and 1's and the whole defense is ready for you. For a 6th round pick, i think it was pretty solid

True, for his draft position, it was probably a good pickup. I just think he would have been cut by a bunch of other teams. Runningbacks just seem to be good even if they are found in the 6th round or later nowadays. Overall though a very solid draft by someone who was forced into that role with Mcloughan retiring a month before.

True, for his draft position, it was probably a good pickup. I just think he would have been cut by a bunch of other teams. Runningbacks just seem to be good even if they are found in the 6th round or later nowadays. Overall though a very solid draft by someone who was forced into that role with Mcloughan retiring a month before.
I think we will draft a RB and pick another one up in FA.
Share 49ersWebzone