LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 292 users in the forums

Why doesnt anyone want to take a QB at #7?

We have David Carr as our starting QB at this moment, and everyone seems enamored with drafting Peterson or Prince or Quinn. Or worse, you want to draft a guy like Dalton who you think is really talented, but you want to trade back in order to snag him. I know half of you out there hate Alex Smith, so why isnt there more demand for drafting a QB at 7? There are at least 10 teams that desperately need a QB (SF, AZ, Sea, Buf, Minn, Carolina, Wash, Cincy, Tenn, Jax). If we pass on drafting a QB at 7, there is a very good chance we will be left with the bottom of the barrel. With the uncertainty from the lockout, we must have a QB on roster with some chance of being a good QB. The supply is short and the demand is high. I hope Harbaugh and Baalke have their eye on a QB worth the risk of the #7 pick.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Because none of the QBs are really worth that high of a pick. The defensive talent is greater then any QB on the board at that spot.
ASS - Alex Smith Syndrome
I'd be OK with Gabbert but not with Newton. I see him as too risky, IMO. I'm still hoping for Ponder.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

This.
Originally posted by susweel:
Because none of the QBs are really worth that high of a pick. The defensive talent is greater then any QB on the board at that spot.
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

Yes and also this. The failure of this man is gonna make the organization shy about taking QBs that high in the draft ever again.

Yes and also this. The failure of this man is gonna make the organization shy about taking QBs that high in the draft ever again.

More so, the fans. I think the organization has enough faith in its current ability to evaluate the QB position (as opposed to the NoWin/Bungholetary era) to make the right call...but the fans are definitely gun shy about everyone except no-brainers like Andrew Luck.

I dont think so, new people in charge as far as running the draft since we drafted Alex. That pick(alex) isnt on Baalke or Harbaugh. If they want a QB at 7 I think they would have no hesitation of pulling the trigger

Originally posted by theninermaniac:
We have David Carr as our starting QB at this moment, and everyone seems enamored with drafting Peterson or Prince or Quinn. Or worse, you want to draft a guy like Dalton who you think is really talented, but you want to trade back in order to snag him. I know half of you out there hate Alex Smith, so why isnt there more demand for drafting a QB at 7? There are at least 10 teams that desperately need a QB (SF, AZ, Sea, Buf, Minn, Carolina, Wash, Cincy, Tenn, Jax). If we pass on drafting a QB at 7, there is a very good chance we will be left with the bottom of the barrel. With the uncertainty from the lockout, we must have a QB on roster with some chance of being a good QB. The supply is short and the demand is high. I hope Harbaugh and Baalke have their eye on a QB worth the risk of the #7 pick.

I'm sooooooo torn on this issue. I have a bad feeling that both Miller and Peterson will be off the boards when the Niners make their pick. If that is the case then I fully expect Gabbert to be there for the taking.

Let's say that they DO trade back with Washington and get an extra pick. The BIGGEST PROBLEM is that there will be a complete feeding frenzy for QBs at the end of round one with the forementioned teams all trying to move up from the second round to get one.

So there is a GOOD chance that both Dalton, Locker and Ponder will be taken in the first round. So the Niners are really rolling the dice at landing a quality QB. If they do trade back, they must be in love with Stanzi in the second round.

My best buddy and I always watch the draft. We put a card in a sealed envelope with our picks. If there is a winner, the loser buys dinner. My pick: Blaine Gabbert. I think we pull the trigger on him.

So it's draft day and Harbaugh and Baalke are in the war room. Harbaugh says he loves __________ QB and could really envision him running his offense. He likes his skills and intangibles, and he has outstanding potential to be a great NFL Qb. We draft that QB because this is what we hired Harbaugh for. New regimes = New QB.

This is a QB driven league. CBs and OLBs dont have the impact of a QB. I agree that there will be some really talented defensive players on the board at 7. But it would certainly be worth it to draft a QB that Harbaugh wants to run his offense.
Originally posted by ghostrider:
I'd be OK with Gabbert but not with Newton. I see him as too risky, IMO. I'm still hoping for Ponder.

If this is Harbaugh's call, I agree on Gabbert at #7. Apparently, Harbaugh tried to recruit Gabbert at one point, so he is a distinct possibility.

If not Gabbert, it has to be Ponder or Dalton in the late first after trading back into the first with Da Bears at # 29.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

So it's draft day and Harbaugh and Baalke are in the war room. Harbaugh says he loves __________ QB and could really envision him running his offense. He likes his skills and intangibles, and he has outstanding potential to be a great NFL Qb. We draft that QB because this is what we hired Harbaugh for. New regimes = New QB.

This is a QB driven league. CBs and OLBs dont have the impact of a QB. I agree that there will be some really talented defensive players on the board at 7. But it would certainly be worth it to draft a QB that Harbaugh wants to run his offense.

But what QB do you think Harbaugh would say that about in the draft ??

What if the QB Harbaugh wants is a guy like Ponder or Dalton or even Kaeprnick?
Share 49ersWebzone