LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 253 users in the forums

Cam Newton to the Panthers with the #1 pick

Lookis like he is the player the panthers are closing in on---However if the Panthers try to get him to agree to parameters of a contract, and he wont bite, I suspect they look in another direction, which could throw the entire top of round one into a frenzy with teams who penciled Newton in as #1 having to rethink things
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
There's this thing called the lockout. You can't sign draft picks w/o a CBA.
Originally posted by FL9er:
There's this thing called the lockout. You can't sign draft picks w/o a CBA.

hence use of the word "parameters"
I'm gonna laugh if that Rookie Salary Cap gets added into the CBA with Newton being the first "victim" of the new process. This guy has diva written all over him. He and his agent are gonna b***h and moan and all the vets in the locker room who helped make it possible are going to have to deal with it. Should be intersting.
Originally posted by hofer36:
Lookis like he is the player the panthers are closing in on---However if the Panthers try to get him to agree to parameters of a contract, and he wont bite, I suspect they look in another direction, which could throw the entire top of round one into a frenzy with teams who penciled Newton in as #1 having to rethink things

I agree. I think, when it's all said and done, they go with Marcell Dareus at #1 overall.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

I agree. I think, when it's all said and done, they go with Marcell Dareus at #1 overall.

i think the smart thing to do would be go with green and take a qb next year
  • evil
  • Veteran

Have you read this little tidbit from a couple days ago :

Quote:
Former high-ranking Panthers executive Tony Softli predicts that Carolina will pass on Cam Newton and take Alabama DT Marcell Dareus with the No. 1 overall pick in the draft.
"They need defensive linemen. They have for awhile," says Softli, who also has a history with the Rams. "I really think they're gonna pass on Cam Newton. ... I really believe it's gonna be the defensive tackle." While we still take everything with a grain of salt, it's important to note that Softli's info has been solid this offseason. He was the first to point out Adrian Clayborn's Erb Palsy condition, and among the first to explicitly report on Ryan Mallett's drug use at Arkansas.

That could certainly blow things up.
Makes no sense to talk parameters of a contract when clubs and agents don't know what the rookie scale is going to be. Everything is up to negotiations right now including the length of the contracts. Players unions wants the length of rookie contracts cut down to 4 years.

I don't know what they can conclude with contract discussions other than his willingness to hold out.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

Green or Dareus IMHO. If you do take Green then you have to give serious consideration to dealing Steve Smith once free agency begins, whenever that is.

However Carolina could lose Charles Johnson and could badly use the front 4 help on defense.
Originally posted by KRS-1:

Quote:
Former high-ranking Panthers executive Tony Softli predicts that Carolina will pass on Cam Newton and take Alabama DT Marcell Dareus with the No. 1 overall pick in the draft.
"They need defensive linemen. They have for awhile," says Softli, who also has a history with the Rams. "I really think they're gonna pass on Cam Newton. ... I really believe it's gonna be the defensive tackle." While we still take everything with a grain of salt, it's important to note that Softli's info has been solid this offseason. He was the first to point out Adrian Clayborn's Erb Palsy condition, and among the first to explicitly report on Ryan Mallett's drug use at Arkansas.

It ends the chances of us taking Peterson and it puts Carolina in the driver's seat for Andrew Luck next season.

Denver: PP, Buffalo: Newton, Cincy: Green, Arizona: Von Miller, Cleveland trade down Gabbert, We still gets the choice between Quinn or Prince

• evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Originally posted by KRS-1:

Quote:

It ends the chances of us taking Peterson and it puts Carolina in the driver's seat for Andrew Luck next season.

Denver: PP, Buffalo: Newton, Cincy: Green, Arizona: Von Miller, Cleveland trade down Gabbert, We still gets the choice between Quinn or Prince

Maybe. Or maybe it goes

Dareus
Peterson
Miller
Green
Arizona trades out
Quinn

That leaves us with Newton/Gabbert/Fairley/Prince. If Arizona takes Quinn then Cleveland could trade out or take Jones. Cincy could even be the team that trades out. We really don't know what teams will be willing to sacrifice future or current draft picks thus there is even a slight chance both Newton and Gabbert are both there at 7 and perhaps we trade out if we don't take one of them.

All I know is if Dareus goes #1, everything could get blown up and change drastically (for better or worse) for us. And if Dareus goes #1, a lot of WZ'ers are going to miss our pick because there TV's are going out the window once Peterson is off the board.
Newton's a baller. I just hope the Tards don't get him.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

I think it's the safer way to go with them. Newton could be great but he could be horrible as well. Seems like a coin flip and even if he can be good, the rest of the team sucks. I normally don't like WR that early but if they went Green 1st and then a DT in the 3rd(because they have no 2nd) like Kendrick Ellis or whoever than they can look into Clausen more this year or replace him next year.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
Good call Ghost, but I think they go with the QB. One thing that's been overlooked, if the board falls a certain way and Arizona is left choosing between Green and Peterson, I believe they'll take Green. Rumor has it that they tried to trade back into the 1st round last year for Dez Bryant. If Arizona does take Gabbert, that's a hell of a smokescreen by Whisenhunt.

Also it is believed Denver wants to draft Nick Fairley, but not at 2.

I Live out here in Carolina & sorry to say there has been little talk of Newton going to Carolina.
Show me where you get this info? Besides Kiper & McShay.
Not buying it. It will be Darius from all the chatter i've heard. rivera wants to build a defense that will be destructive. Miller has been thrown in the mix to.
Share 49ersWebzone