LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 237 users in the forums

49ers worked out DT Matangi Tonga at FB

49ers worked out DT Matangi Tonga at fullback - NFP

Quote:
During the San Francisco 49ers' local prospect workout last week, the most prominent fullback was Stanford senior Owen Marecic.

He played for 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh for the past four seasons.

The 49ers also auditioned University of Houston defensive tackle Matangi Tonga at fullback as well during the workout, according to a league source with knowledge of the situation.

Per the source, Tonga impressed the 49ers' coaching staff with his athleticism at 6-foot-2, 290 pounds.

During his campus Pro Day workout, Tonga ran the 40-yard dash in 4.72 and 4.81 seconds and bench pressed 225 pounds 29 times.

At their request, Tonga also did fullback drills for the Green Bay Packers, Seattle Seahawks and the Miami Dolphins following the workout.

Per a source who attended the workout, Tonga snagged a a one-handed catch on a football that was thrown behind him by the Packers coach.

Tonga also registered a 4.1 short shuttle, a 7.08 pro shuttle, a 32 1/2 inch vertical leap and 9-0 broad jump.

At least 16 teams attended the workout.

A former junior college transfer who initially attended BYU, Tonga underwent lateral meniscus surgery last season and has recovered from that injury.

Tonga intercepted a pass as a freshman at BYU.

He was an all-state football player in San Mateo, Calif., recording 11 sacks and 19 tackles for losses as a senior with 837 rushing yards and 20 touchdowns.

His brother, fullback Manase Tonga, played fullback at BYU and currently plays for the Oakland Raiders.

The former Eagle Scout was also recruited by USC, Oregon, Oregon State, Arizona, Arizona State, Cal Berkeley, Nebraska, USC, UCLA, Idaho State and Idaho.
Ideal pick for a 7th round pick. You get a good athlete who can play DL in a rotation, lead block or run the ball in for short yardage, or be a tough blocker on special teams.

I would not want to try to stop a 290 lb bowling ball who can run a 4.8 40.

7th round pick, come on down,.
Build a team of Pacific Islanders. Samoans, Tongans, etc.

You'll win!
Originally posted by 9erred:
Ideal pick for a 7th round pick. You get a good athlete who can play DL in a rotation, lead block or run the ball in for short yardage, or be a tough blocker on special teams.

Those are some crazy measurables. M_A_T_E_O represent!
Best name in the draft? Just fun to say.
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:

You'll win!

I have often thought the more the better for SF. They are very family focused and like living on the west coast as it is the closest flight to their homes. Isaac Sopoaga was going to be a FA, and instructed his agent just to get a deal done with SF because he loves the west coast and wants to be close to his home.

Kemmooata- LG
Fuau NT-Stanford
Polamalu safety
Ray Malauga, LB
Tonga FB/DL

Sounds good to me.

You'll win!

I have often thought the more the better for SF. They are very family focused and like living on the west coast as it is the closest flight to their homes. Isaac Sopoaga was going to be a FA, and instructed his agent just to get a deal done with SF because he loves the west coast and wants to be close to his home.

Kemmooata- LG
Fuau NT-Stanford
Polamalu safety
Ray Malauga, LB
Tonga FB/DL

Sounds good to me.
Originally posted by 9erred:

I bet he'd be asked to drop 10-20 ibs or so at least. His brother is a FB on the Raiders too.

You'll win!

stanley havili!
[ Edited by YungAce on Apr 24, 2011 at 10:44 AM ]

You'll win!

Marques Tuiasosopo at QB?

Originally posted by bigmike55:

You'll win!

Marques Tuiasosopo at QB?

only one I could think of too.
Holy crap a 290lb fullback???? Linebackers better man up!!
We should just play Sopoaga at FB
Share 49ersWebzone