LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 242 users in the forums

MadDog's Big 254 Board- Friday, April 22 Edition

Originally posted by submoa:
it will be high drama to see if we go purely BPA or BPA by need

Since I do not believe Peterson will be on the board at 7, there is going to be a lot of arguments between Niners' fans on the pick. I think Cam Jordan is a sleeper to go at 7, but I'd lay heavy money on Prince.
Originally posted by Lobo49er:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

Christmas is only 6 days away!
245 Byron Bell New Mexico G/OT

I feel like Xmas is already here!!!

7th round linemen have to be versatile. Bell can probably play four positions on the line, and I think that helps his stock. I'd say he is a 55/45 shot to be drafted.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Looks like you're coming around on "Mallett in the first" I see.

You've got him slotted in the same spot as myself. Interesting movement in the top half of your board though with Aldon Smith and Locker going a fair amount higher, and Fairley a significant amount lower than I would expect.

The Showdown will begin in less than 6 days from now. Good luck, MD. May the best man win.

Just way too many teams have brought him in. Someone will be duped enough to make that pick.
Originally posted by Firenze:
Why Prince over Cam Jordan and Robert Quinn? And what do you think about Stanzi? Thanks. Great job as always!!!

Prince provides a solid, reliable, mature, and talented player at a real position of need. I love Jordan, and think he could be the pick at 7, or 9. Quinn is probably best suited as a 4-3 DE, and having a year off, plus a benign brain tumor make the pick a bit risky at 7.

Not a fan at all of Stanzi. I grade him as 6th round value, but will go much higher. Just too inconsistent.

P.S. Firenze is one of the great cities of the world. I lived there a year when I was a child and hope to go back someday soon.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Apr 23, 2011 at 6:37 AM ]
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Why Prince over Cam Jordan and Robert Quinn? And what do you think about Stanzi? Thanks. Great job as always!!!

Prince provides a solid, reliable, mature, and talented player at a real position of need. I love Jordan, and think he could be the pick at 7, or 9. Quinn is probably best suited as a 4-3 DE, and having a year off, plus a benign brain tumor make the pick a bit risky at 7.

Not a fan at all of Stanzi. I grade him as 6th round value, but will go much higher. Just too inconsistent.

P.S. Firenze is one of the great cities of the world. I lived there a year when I was a child and hope to go back someday soon.

I agree with MadDog. Prince is the safer pick over Quinn. Having a brain tumor (benign but still there) is a huge risk, also he has been out of football for a year. Top 10 of the draft is not where you want to take a lot of risks.

I wouldn't mind it if the 49ers traded down if Peterson and Miller are both gone so they could be in position to draft Phil Taylor or Brooks Reed and still get a CB like Smith, Dowling or Burton.
MD - Bruce Carter at 70? I was hoping we could get him at 45. What's your assessment?
I saw that Walter Football has brandon hogan from west virginia going to us in the 4th. Do you think he is UDFA?
do you have a big board that's just the player rankings and not where you project them to go?
MD- do you have time to comment on Nick Fairley? I'm amazed you have him down that far. Is it a talent issue or attitude that has sunk his stock?
7 QBs in the first 33 picks?

That would have to be some kind of record (and funny considering the lack of a real superstar caliber QB in this class).

Originally posted by ishkabibel:
MD - Bruce Carter at 70? I was hoping we could get him at 45. What's your assessment?

If the team wants him at 45, they can get him. He's simply not back to 100% or even close. His ACL surgery was only four months ago. Will he be ready to play in 2011? Probably. But, there is significant riskiness to the pick, and that is why I have him going a bit later than most publications, which have him as a mid-late second rounder.

Carter has a ton of talent, but probably best for a 4-3 team.
Originally posted by mac707g:
7 QBs in the first 33 picks?

That would have to be some kind of record (and funny considering the lack of a real superstar caliber QB in this class).

Wierd year for sure. Hyperinflation at QB due to the CBA conflict and lack of free ageny until it is resolved.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
MD- do you have time to comment on Nick Fairley? I'm amazed you have him down that far. Is it a talent issue or attitude that has sunk his stock?

He is possibly the biggest risk in the first round. Great college talent, but character a problem. I don't see a bad guy, but someone who is simply immature. Really immature. I wouldn't touch him, and I believe a lot of other teams will feel the same way, especially since the built in system of preparedness, starting with the mini-camps will evaporate this Spring. Teams have to ask themselves: Will this guy be ready to go when all is resolved? I don't think so.

I'd be shocked if he goes 8, as most predict. I don't see it. I see a slide.
Originally posted by miked1978:
do you have a big board that's just the player rankings and not where you project them to go?

I do have a board, and here is the top 25:
AJ Green
Marcell Dareus
Von Miller
Patrick Peterson
Blaine Gabbert
JJ Watt
Cameron Jordan
Cameron Heyward
Derek Sherrod
Phil Taylor
Prince Amukamara
Rodney Hudson
Mikel LeShoure
Ryan Williams
Corey Liuget
Stephen Paea
Andy Dalton
Robert Quinn
Ryan Kerrigan
Gabe Carimi
Julio Jones
Kendall Hunter
Cam Newton
Mike Pouncey
Originally posted by alburns:
I saw that Walter Football has brandon hogan from west virginia going to us in the 4th. Do you think he is UDFA?

Could be wrong, but pretty much sold he will go undrafted, even though I am in the vast minority.

The reason? Just had ACL surgery, like Bruce Carter, in December. But more importantly, this guy is going to be off so many team boards due to character issues. DUI in October, Disorderly Conduct and Public Urination last April, Academic issues last season, and personal issues that affected him way back in 2008, when he missed a bowl game.

This kid is trouble, and when players are graded as third day draftees, and they have a host of issues, they tend to fall completely out of the draft.
Share 49ersWebzone