LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 255 users in the forums

Our 2nd round pick

Originally posted by mayo49:
Just stay put and quietly take Stanzi at #45.

Im in, and if the season falls apart, we will be poised to get Luck/Barkley. It just means we're going to be garbage for another season .

But who knows, Harbaugh might pull some s**t out of his a**
We trade up to earlier in the 2nd or late first to get Christian Ponder or Andy Dalton.
Depends on how fast the QBs are coming off the board I think. If the ponders and daltons and kapernicks are still lingering, gotta take a pass rusher or cb (depending on the first pick).

If there is a run on QBs though, I think Stanzi would be a good 2nd round pick.
Scenario 1
R1-Quinn, OLB
R2-Davon House, CB
R3-Ricky Stanzi, QB

Scenario 2
R1-Peterson/Amukarma, CB
R2-Sheard, OLB
R3-Ricky Stanzi, QB
[ Edited by Paul_Hofer on Apr 22, 2011 at 3:07 PM ]
Member Milestone: This is post number 900 for NorthNiner.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
We trade up to earlier in the 2nd or late first to get Christian Ponder or Andy Dalton.

Don't know why so many people value lower draft picks over getting a QB early when the team is so desperate. Free agents will cost as much or more whenever that time comes. I want to see Harbaugh get his guy right away and start working the magic we keep hearing about.
Originally posted by fakers23:
Originally posted by DANADA:
Originally posted by mrbusinessman499:
We won't have a 2nd round pick we trading up

To many teams will offer more to move up then us. I see us staying put..

what makes u think other teams will offer more? we have the most fire power in this draft to move up

Pretty simple.. They are extremely desperate.. Thier like 10 teams that need Qbs and only a handful of Qbs in the draft... Plus you got the lockout...With no free agency..The only place to fill the need is the draft.. So of course the team holding the pick going to drive up the prize..

and what makes u think we arnt desperate? do u know who the only QB on our roster is? we are just as likely as any team that needs a QB to trade up.
It will be interesting to say the least, because there was no free agency, teams must try to fill in the needs with the draft as they don't know if they will get any of the FA when a CBA is signed. Nor can they take the veteran route via trade for the same reason.

So how will this affect the value of the draft pick? Maybe a 2nd and fourth gets us back in the first, maybe not. With so many questions the niners need their picks, but they want to get player they target and not just settle.

Still this draft is more exciting than last years simply because last year you knew they were going simply for ground beef and not filet mignon.
Originally posted by NorthNiner:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Don't know why so many people value lower draft picks over getting a QB early when the team is so desperate. Free agents will cost as much or more whenever that time comes. I want to see Harbaugh get his guy right away and start working the magic we keep hearing about.

It all depends on your personnel people, yes we need the QB, but if you remember walsh's one draft where he drafted all those starter and contributors, all without a 1st rounder. Plus you know that the QB may not start right away. You are definately going to have to reach for one, but not lets not end up with like the panthers and clausen either.
Originally posted by HomerJ:
Depends on how fast the QBs are coming off the board I think. If the ponders and daltons and kapernicks are still lingering, gotta take a pass rusher or cb (depending on the first pick).

If there is a run on QBs though, I think Stanzi would be a good 2nd round pick.

I think the only thing that the speed of them coming off the board will affect, is if we have to trade up or not. I don't think it will change the pick, and if we want a QB it will most likely have to come in round 2. It sucks, because I'd love to see us get Peterson and Brooks Reed with out first 2 picks, but I really don't think we'll see many QB's left sitting when the third rolls around.
I think we take the best player avalible with our second rounder. We have a lot of holes on our roster that we need to balance out. We need to draft day one starters with our 1st round-4th round picks, and MAYBE we can think about a "project" pick with the later rounds. There is no QB except Blaine Gabbert that could start day one IMO, and he is more of a late round pick. I'd rather us gamble on a vet like Marc Bulger or Matt Hasslebeck and let them fight it out with Alex in camp, if he signs the one year.

what makes u think other teams will offer more? we have the most fire power in this draft to move up

Pretty simple.. They are extremely desperate.. Thier like 10 teams that need Qbs and only a handful of Qbs in the draft... Plus you got the lockout...With no free agency..The only place to fill the need is the draft.. So of course the team holding the pick going to drive up the prize..

and what makes u think we arnt desperate? do u know who the only QB on our roster is? we are just as likely as any team that needs a QB to trade up.

[ Edited by DANADA on May 13, 2011 at 4:38 PM ]

You can stop patting yourself on the back now, you might pull something.
WHOOOOO! goaliiiiiiieeeeee
...sucked[img=null] [img=null]
Share 49ersWebzone