LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 321 users in the forums

i hope the niners use rational thinking with our 1st pick

We should assume pp and miller are gone by seven bc if not then we take either of them and its a done deal. However if they are both gone as well as gabbert it seems to be between prince and quinn.

Now prince is solid and will start but so is quinn. When picking between the two the niners should consider that quinn most likely WOULD OF been a top three or top five pick even in an above average year IF he played in 2010 prince is not. Quinn would help our pass rush and run d more taking parys place then prince would help our pass d taking over for clements or spencer.

Both are good players and starters but quinn is not only higher rated but more of an impact player especially considering IF he played last year......its the same logic we used with gore. He would of been a first round pick IF he played more and we treated him like that a steal even though we had barlow.

Quinn is the pick here. Even if we trade down and get a player like jordan from cal he would help out quite a bit BUT quinn would help out the most relative to the position.

What do you hink about his line of thought?
I hope we use irrational thinking with the 1st pick.

Then go back to rational for the rest of the draft.

Try something different for a change.
In a recent interview with NFLN, Butch Davis said he likens Quinn to a young Michael Strahan and his best fit would be DE in a 4-3. That's his college coach, a former NFL head coach, saying that. So would that be rational thinking to pick him? Quinn, no doubt, is a beast but with the other concerns; Brain tumor, character issues...it's a tough decision to make.

If this happens, no Peterson or Miller, we should do whatever it takes to draft back.
Both Miller and Quinn have huge concerns. If we play it safe it should be Prince. I just hope Harbaugh doesn't push the QB issue especially in the 1st.
They should take whichever one they have rated higher. They both have a lot of potential to continue to grow. Yes, Quinn didn't play last year, but Prince came in as a RB. I'm okay with either but Prince is the safer pick. Quinn could have trouble in a 3-4 and he has a brain tumor that could eventually require surgery. That surgery could potentially cause him to never play football again.
Rational thinking to me is making a move to trade up and get PP at 4 if it looks like Az will take him. Package a 4th and a sixth to Cincy.

Corner, safety, return ability. It makes the most sense with all these picks we have.

Do it!
I prefer the old dart board method to rational thinking. They are both about equal in success and it is a lot easier to get a dart board and darts than do all this fad stuff known as "scouting".
Peterson would make me jizz
Originally posted by 9erguy:
In a recent interview with NFLN, Butch Davis said he likens Quinn to a young Michael Strahan and his best fit would be DE in a 4-3. That's his college coach, a former NFL head coach, saying that. So would that be rational thinking to pick him? Quinn, no doubt, is a beast but with the other concerns; Brain tumor, character issues...it's a tough decision to make.

If this happens, no Peterson or Miller, we should do whatever it takes to draft back.

100% agreed.

But I'd consider Julio Jones at 7 if he's there as well, he's solid Like a rock & makes big plays.
  • dmax
  • Veteran
peterson or prince

They should probably move up a couple of spots and give up there 4th round pick so they can draft a guy that would have been available at 7 regardless. Oh wait that was last year.
Rational thinking must include a long look at Clements salary cap number for 2011, which is over $15 million, according to Ninercaphell.com.

The pick really has to be a corner, either Peterson or Prince.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Rational thinking must include a long look at Clements salary cap number for 2011, which is over $15 million, according to Ninercaphell.com.

The pick really has to be a corner, either Peterson or Prince.

I think that is horrible thinking. By that logic, our 2nd round pick HAS to be an OT. I mean, Anthony Davis has a cap number next year of over $9 million - and he sucked last year! Bottom line is, regardless of the hate towards Clements, he is still better than a lot of CB's in the league. We're not in a bad salary cap position, so that isn't an issue either. Plus, WE don't pay his salary!

I've often said if you want to improve your TEAM, and you are trying to decide between two players that you have rated very close - you should look at who is the bigger upgrade. Gauge how much better you think Prince is over Clements (since everyone is just convinced he will get cut or moved to FS if we draft any CB). Now how much better is Robert Quinn over Haralson? Of course that's all based on opinion of current players and speculation of rookies making the transition, so decisions will vary. But for me, it's Quinn.
[ Edited by RDB4216 on Apr 22, 2011 at 9:00 AM ]
peterson or prince
I've seen Prince a few times on TV interviews, and follow him on twitter, seems like a great person, no off the field issues, good intentions, motivated. I say if both Prince & Quinn are there at #7 take Amukamara.
Share 49ersWebzone