LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 260 users in the forums

1st 7 picks

Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
Originally posted by PTulini:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
In fangio's system we need elite/above average corners, since he will be sending a blitzer on damn near every play

We need pass rushers to do that.

ah, quite the paradox...

I could go insane trying to figure out the whole "pass rush/pass defense" problem we have. IMO either one will impact our defense week one.

we may not have an elite pass rusher but we have been top 10 in sacks this year and i think we were 3rd 2 years ago

so although we may not have that elite pass rusher we do have a pass rush not saying we dont need an elite pass rusher but we do need to get an elite CB
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
In fangio's system we need elite/above average corners, since he will be sending a blitzer on damn near every play

ah, quite the paradox...

I could go insane trying to figure out the whole "pass rush/pass defense" problem we have. IMO either one will impact our defense week one.

we may not have an elite pass rusher but we have been top 10 in sacks this year and i think we were 3rd 2 years ago

so although we may not have that elite pass rusher we do have a pass rush
not saying we dont need an elite pass rusher but we do need to get an elite CB

True, but the problem is that our pass rush is inconsistant. We need a guy who can get pressure on the QB.
I am very disappoint that other team will grab to Mark Ingram... Good bye to Mark Ingram!!!
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
Originally posted by NCommand:

I agree...mostly. But what good 3-4 coaches do is use their CB's more physically up at the LOS b/c with a good pass rush, they only need to cover for a few seconds as opposed to under manusky where our CB's played 35 yards off a WR on 3rd and 3 and asked his LBers to drop back in coverage. That's why I first looked at defensive philosophy/scheme, our current players and how they would be utilized, before I finally slightly leaned towards Quinn. Spencer and Clements have both been used incorrectly iMHO as was Mays last year as well.

Let me try and be the voice of reason here;

Peterson is pretty much hands down the "safest" pick in this draft, and gives us a very good chance of adding another "elite" player to our roster. He also happens to play a position in which we are weak at, and he will be a day one starter. If we don't get Pete Pat or Amukamara in the first our odds of getting a guy who can be an impact player from day one is slim.

Quinn on the the other hand is a beast, and had he actually played last season would easily be a top three pick and we would be having this debate. He also is pro ready and can start from day one. The diffrence between the two is that I think we can add a pass rusher in the second round and possibly later rounds as well.

My pick: Peterson, gives us an impact player at a position that is hard to fill. We can always trade back into the 1st or upper second round to get a better pass rusher.

Good post...which is easier to obtain? A premier CB or pass rusher via draft or FA? We tried with Nate and others to no avail. We tried with Lawson & TBC.

That may be the next step...we've been minus a dominat pass rusher at the LB position, at least one that needs to be accounted for, for 10+ years now (Julian Peterson )? CB, we've developed some solid ones. So if we go Peterson, then who and when do we address the gem for the pass rush? During the Nolan-era, he was all about the CB's and that failed to buy any time for a pass rush to develop. Granted, with Nolan and Manusky, it's safe to say these were vanilla schemes that didn't exactly play to our strengths. So if we go Quinn, who's our CB's?

Both positions certainly need a premier player at each. Both are critical to the defensive scheme we will be running.

My contention is that better utilization of Willis, Brooks and Quinn (even TKO in spurts) means CB's only need to cover for a very short period of time and this plays into the physical strengths of all of our current secondary esp. Clements/Spencer and even Mays. With a dominating 3 or 4 LB's plus Smith on the line and a more green-lighted Sopoaga and even McDonald, now our CB's can play their game, be physical and play tight and run blitz off those corners and make TFL's which both Spencer/Clements are great at.

We've learned that with an inconsistent pass rush or none at all, WR's, TE's and RB's have had all day to get open and QB's have had all day to throw. I don't think even a Revis and Sanders could have made that much difference let alone a rookie in Peterson. The other thing to consider is the complexity of the roles they will be playing. Especially at the WILL, right out of the gate, Quinn will be allowed to attack, attack, attack and be moved around and attack again. I think Peterson will have a larger learning curve before we'll see his true talents...the speed of the game will not affect Quinn like it will Peterson.

While I recognize the skill-set of Peterson and would be happy with him, no doubt, Quinn, IMHO has the slight edge.
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 21, 2011 at 7:57 PM ]

ah, quite the paradox...

so although we may not have that elite pass rusher we do have a pass rush not saying we dont need an elite pass rusher but we do need to get an elite CB

Very very true but we all know that since we dont have an accountable pass rusher that can at least get consistent pressure we lost games such as stl car atl and so on where all we had to do is get some more pressure or a sack on to win the game......this is why we need a pass rusher a little more than a cb

Manusky blitzed too, it just didn't translate into many sacks.
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:

manusky blitzed less than any other 3-4 team in the NFL
Originally posted by cory4903:

we still got sacks with munusky we need better coverage

Manusky didn't blitz a whole lot, and when he did the cb's gave a nice 10 yard cushion on 3rd and long. I think Fangio likes his corners to play bump n run
Originally posted by cory4903:

we still got sacks with munusky we need better coverage

We got sacks with Manusky, but if you closer at the statistics, they primarily came against division opponents. That isn't exactly a good thing given the craptastic state of the division itself. Furthermore, it also indicates that the majority of the sacks were likely as a result of scheme rather than individual player talent.

-9fA

the passrusher corner discussion is miss interpreted. neither is more important. they both equally effect the outcome and are important. you need good corners to stop the receivers and you need passrushers to disrupt the passer. it isnt one or the other but a balance. to build a proper defense we must acquire a beast passrusher and a shutdown corner. we need to pick the best players to do this. Peterson is the first step to this.
  • evil
  • Veteran

Correct.

Quote:
NFL Network's Charley Casserly believes that a pass rusher should almost always come before a cornerback on draft day.

"With a corner, you can protect him with coverages," explains Casserly. "But you certainly can't manufacture a pass rush with a player. ... I'd take the pass rusher." This is why Patrick Peterson is in danger of falling to No. 7 overall, even though many call him the draft's top player. Von Miller, Marcell Dareus, and arguably Robert Quinn should all go before him.

You don't need elite corners to make a 3-4 system work.

Originally posted by 24plus25er:
Peterson is pretty much hands down the "safest" pick in this draft

No he is not and far from it IMHO. Marcel Dareus is the safest top 10 pick in the draft class. Peterson can be argued as the best player in the class but in no way should that be confused with safest.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
I think all else being equal, pass rusher is greater than corner. The QB can avoid the corner's side if the CB is great, but it is much harder to take out a pash rusher on a play. That being said, I also agree that PP is the safer and more talented prospect, and he is second highest on my board (behind Gabbert). Von Miller is small, and Quinn hasn't played in a year. All 3 may be great, but I think PP is the least likely to be a bust.
I want Quinn!

over peterson?

It's a toss up. We need a pass rusher.

Lockdown CB > good passrusher
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
I want Quinn!

over peterson?

It's a toss up. We need a pass rusher.

Potential Lockdown Corner < Potential Blue Chip Pass Rusher.

Fixed.
Share 49ersWebzone