There are 265 users in the forums

stever niners mock, version 2

I promised in my first mock that i would do another one without Peterson falling to us, so here is the second one :

Round 1 : Robert Quinn, OLB from North Carolina

So we don't get the immediate help an cornerback in round 1. The best way to make the secondary better is improve the pass rush. Quinn is the best pure pass rusher available without a doubt, so we take him here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Round 2 : Aaron Williams, FS from Texas

Some people may think, this is too low for Williams, but there are many questions, that he can play cornerback in the NFL. What he definitly can play is free safety and that is what he would play for us. Goldson didn't exactly set the world on fire last year so lets replace him.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Round 3 : Ricky Stanzi, QB from Iowa

Stanzi is the guy if we pick a QB here. He is pro ready, he is smart, can make all the throws and he is the leader we are missing from the QB position. I think there will be a QB in front of him on the roster (Alex or another FA), but in 2012 Stanzi will be our guy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Round 4.1 : Edmund Gates, WR from Abilene Christian

We need someone, who can stretch the field and who can catch the ball (Ginn does not do that). Gates is very fast and could be tried on special teams, too.

Round 4.2 : Joseph Barksdale, OG from LSU

He played right tackle in college, but will move to guard in the pros. We loose a lot of interior line players this offseason, so here is a replacement. He could help at RT when Davis is missing

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Round 5 : Sione Fua, NT from Stanford

Not much to explain about this pick :) We need competition at nose tackle, Franklin will be gone. RJF is ok, but i don't think he has starting potential, so here is our new main road block

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Round 6.1: A kicker from the following group : Kai Forbath, Alex Henery, Dan Bailey, Josh Jasper (in that order).

Nedney is on his last legs, Reed isn't a youngster and a jerk so bring in a fresh leg

Round 6.2: Anthony Sherman, FB from Conneticut

Moran Norris is not a good fit in a wco, so we need competition here, too. Sherman is a great blocker, can catch the ball and bring special teams value.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Round 7.1 : Byron Maxwell, CB from Clemson

We did pick up a safety early, but another cornerback is a need, too. Maxwell is a very physical jamming press corner who should fit in our new defense.

Round 7.2 : Donald Buckram, Utep

At running back we have a solid big man behind Frank Gore in Dixon. What we need is a guy, who can help on 3rd downs and can be a change of pace guy. Buckram had some injury problems, but was very productive the years before. He can make people miss, has soft hands and should be a 3rd down back type of player.

Round 7.3 : Scott Tolzien, QB from Wisconsin

Tolzien has some problems with his arm stength, but in a west coast offense we will use, he could be very effective. He is accurate, and he has experience in a pro style offense. This is a practice squid pick in essential, but why not try a second qb with 4 picks in round 7 (Same logic as TJ Yates in my other mock without the simularity to JT ;))

Round 7.4 : Elija Joseph, MLB from Temple

We don't know if Spikes will come back, Bowman is a backup for Willis' position imo, so we need another tough inside backer. Joseph is a very physical guy who is build for this kind of work. He brings special team experience, what is a must for a 7th rounder.
[ Edited by stever on Apr 20, 2011 at 1:39 AM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Nice mock. I'd cream my pants if we landed Quinn and Stanzi.
One of the better mocks I've seen. I think it's very realistic. Love it.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Nice mock. I'd cream my pants if we landed Quinn and Stanzi.

I'm a big fan of those two guys also.

Wish you could have taken Taylor as your second QB. But this would be a great draft for the Niners.

Supplement it with a couple of FA acquisitions and the team would be good to go.
Finally somebody taking the safety position seriously. I think it's the weakest spot on the team. Good mock. But with this mock i would say the Niners would most definitely have to grab a top tier free agent at CB.

I don't see Edmund Gates making it out of the 3rd round.
Solid draft. Unlike most at the Zone - I'd rather have Quinn than anyone else for our first pick. I also think Stanzi will be a very good QB.
Not a big fan of Stanzi but I like the mock.
Share 49ersWebzone