There are 157 users in the forums

OTC's Big 254 Board - April 18

• dwett
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by dwett:
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
Peterson at 5 still make my blood boil, but the more I look at it I think this is where he falls. I am still hoping that one of the QBs fall and we can move back and get Prince later. The only suitor I see is the Redskins but I don't see them giving up their 2nd rounder to move up 3 spots. Crazier things have happened though.

The Vikings at number 12 may want to move up if a QB like Gabbert is still on the board. Just saying.
Personally, I would love to see the Niners move back a few slots and then take Cameron Jordan, who I think will be a stud D lineman for a long time. With Justin Smith in his 30s now and no other real studs along that line, Jordan would be a great pick because he can play in a 3-4 or 4-3, and can rush the passer. Taking him at 7 may be a bit of a reach (or not), but I would love to see him in SF.
Very safe pick.

With their next pick, take a QB if your guy is on the board. If not, take the best CB or OLB available and take the QB with the next pick. Cheers!

You make a great point with the Vikings. I guess in my mind they were the best suitors for Mcnabb, but with there being no CBA they can't trade their second rounder for him so they may reach.

As OTC stated in the previous post, the QB situation in this draft can go any way. He feels that someone will fall but it depends on how desperate teams become. I would expect that a run of QBs could happen anytime at the end of the first round. Those teams with late first round picks are sitting on a gold mind. It used to be us With no FA, teams are going to push to make sure they have a QB on the roster with any chance of being their franchise guy.

Personally I would prefer not to reach, but with our situation is may be tough. Due to the CBA, this draft has become very interesting or stressful if you don't have a QB

On a side note: I didn't stated this in my earlier post but great work on this. Between you and MadDog, the information and detailed work is impressive. I just wanted to thank you for the thoroughly researched boards.

I appreciate the kind words.

Roughly half of the league needs a QB. No one can be sure who will take the "Wait one more year" approach, but most of us can guess who the guaranteed-to-draft-QB teams are at least.

You've got about 6-8 FA/Trade possibilities that teams could look at, and about 10 draftees that a team could pick to either start or groom. This leaves the possibility that a few teams will pass on QB in the draft -- at least early.

With that said, it wouldn't be too shocking to see a QB we want fall to our 2nd rounder, and we wouldn't have to give up much, if anything, to get our guy.

One question. You have DeMarco Murray at 116. After running a 4.37 at the combine I felt he would go somewhere in the second round. Are you showing this as more of a third round due to RBs getting drafted later this year or because you see some issue with his abilities.

If the niners could get him in the third, I feel he would be a great change of pace back we need and great value there. Just don't see him falling that far though.
Originally posted by nw9erfan:
Peterson at 5 still make my blood boil, but the more I look at it I think this is where he falls. I am still hoping that one of the QBs fall and we can move back and get Prince later. The only suitor I see is the Redskins but I don't see them giving up their 2nd rounder to move up 3 spots. Crazier things have happened though.

The Vikings at number 12 may want to move up if a QB like Gabbert is still on the board. Just saying.
Personally, I would love to see the Niners move back a few slots and then take Cameron Jordan, who I think will be a stud D lineman for a long time. With Justin Smith in his 30s now and no other real studs along that line, Jordan would be a great pick because he can play in a 3-4 or 4-3, and can rush the passer. Taking him at 7 may be a bit of a reach (or not), but I would love to see him in SF.
Very safe pick.

With their next pick, take a QB if your guy is on the board. If not, take the best CB or OLB available and take the QB with the next pick. Cheers!

You make a great point with the Vikings. I guess in my mind they were the best suitors for Mcnabb, but with there being no CBA they can't trade their second rounder for him so they may reach.

As OTC stated in the previous post, the QB situation in this draft can go any way. He feels that someone will fall but it depends on how desperate teams become. I would expect that a run of QBs could happen anytime at the end of the first round. Those teams with late first round picks are sitting on a gold mind. It used to be us With no FA, teams are going to push to make sure they have a QB on the roster with any chance of being their franchise guy.

Personally I would prefer not to reach, but with our situation is may be tough. Due to the CBA, this draft has become very interesting or stressful if you don't have a QB

On a side note: I didn't stated this in my earlier post but great work on this. Between you and MadDog, the information and detailed work is impressive. I just wanted to thank you for the thoroughly researched boards.

I appreciate the kind words.

Roughly half of the league needs a QB. No one can be sure who will take the "Wait one more year" approach, but most of us can guess who the guaranteed-to-draft-QB teams are at least.

You've got about 6-8 FA/Trade possibilities that teams could look at, and about 10 draftees that a team could pick to either start or groom. This leaves the possibility that a few teams will pass on QB in the draft -- at least early.

With that said, it wouldn't be too shocking to see a QB we want fall to our 2nd rounder, and we wouldn't have to give up much, if anything, to get our guy.

One question. You have DeMarco Murray at 116. After running a 4.37 at the combine I felt he would go somewhere in the second round. Are you showing this as more of a third round due to RBs getting drafted later this year or because you see some issue with his abilities.

If the niners could get him in the third, I feel he would be a great change of pace back we need and great value there. Just don't see him falling that far though.

RB's in this draft from the 3rd round and beyond are going to be really tough to put a grade on -- You've got the front-runners in Ryan Williams, LeShoure, Ingram, Daniel Thomas, Todman, Taiwan Jones and Kendall Hunter -- and then you have this big mass of "the others."

I see a lot of guys falling simply due to the enormous depth at the position this year. Murray from what I recall ran a 4.40 or 4.41 officially -- but regardless that's still very fast and he's a very good back -- I completely agree with you there. Murray is one guy I might take a look at bumping up some and likely will, as I have been considering moving a few of these RBs around a little before I release the Final Board. His all around game -- running, receiving, blocking, KR ability -- I think make him a good value pick to anyone getting him after the 2nd round.
Originally posted by Lobo49er:
Still no Byron Bell!!

(nice job as usual otherwise)

Note to Lobo: After much shuffling, Byron Bell should make the Final 254. Just a little preview for you there, my friend.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Apr 23, 2011 at 6:10 PM ]
Still no Byron Bell!!

Note to Lobo: After much shuffling, Byron Bell should make the Final 254. Just a little preview for you there, my friend.

(I'm a huge homer, but that aside, I think he gets drafted.)
Still no Byron Bell!!

(I'm a huge homer, but that aside, I think he gets drafted.)

Like last year's J'Marcus Webb from West Texas A&M, I think several other big OL will go late in this year's draft besides Bell. Those would be:

Johnny Culbreath, South Carolina St.
David Mims, Virginia Union
Trevis Turner, Abilene Christian
Do you still think Bowers goes that high? What do you make of the Cinn Dline coach leaving Alabama (home of Fairley) today?
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Do you still think Bowers goes that high? What do you make of the Cinn Dline coach leaving Alabama (home of Fairley) today?

No, I don't and you will see this tomorrow on my Final Big 254 Board.

I think that doesn't mean a whole lot, regarding Fairley. It's such a vague report too. What's to say they weren't talking to someone about Marcel Dareus? Plus, I believe we've seen apparent smokescreens before like this.

This could be an attempt to get someone to trade up, or the Bengals could be looking at him in case they can trade down and land him.
thats a lot of names.....
Share 49ersWebzone