LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 271 users in the forums

stever niners mock, version 1

Here is my take of the niners picks this year. I didn't factor in any free agency or resigning of some of our free agents, but we all know, that the roster will be completed with those guys.
I will do two mocks, depending on who is available at #7. I will do a mock with Peterson available at #7 (who is a must then) and another one (later) without him. I picked a QB in the 3rd round in both mocks, because i think the only way to get a QB earlier is by trading up in the 1st round and i think that we should use our picks and not trade them.

Mock 1 (Peterson falls):

Round 1 : Patrick Peterson, CB from LSU

Peterson is a no brainer here. He fills a need as a playmaker in the secondary, he could be CB or FS and he is one of the best players in this draft (if not the best).

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Round 2 : Stephen Paea, NT from Oregon State

With Franklin on his way out and Ricky J-F not ready to be a starter yet, this would avoid moving Sopoaga to the nose, where he didn't really impress the last time they tried. Paea is a monster in the middle, who is dropping a bit because of his injury in the senior bowl. He was a fringe first rounder before, so this is a lot of value here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Round 3 : Ricky Stanzi, QB from Iowa

I explained, why i did not pick a QB earlier. Stanzi is the guy if we pick a QB here. He is pro ready, he is smart, can make all the throws and he is the leader we are missing from the QB position. I think there will be a QB in front of him on the roster (Alex or another FA), but in 2012 Stanzi will be our guy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Round 4.1: Chris Carter, OLB from Fresno State

Here comes the pass rusher. This guy is full of energy, it is fun to watch him. He knows how to get to the quarterback, he has played though an injury and he has produced.

Round 4.2: Jarvis Jenkins, DE from Clemson

We have a lot of fluctuation on the DE spot. Evans and McDonald are free agents, so this leaves only Smith and Ice. Time to bring in some competition. Evans is very athletic and should be able to help backing up early, eventually taking over for Sopoaga later.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Round 5: David Arkin, OG from Missouri State

Some competition for Chilo Rachal. He needs to get away from his hot/cold play. Arkin is a tough, durable guard, who can move over to RT if needed, too. He is a vocal leader and fits our new power running offense very good.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Round 6.1: A kicker from the following group : Kai Forbath, Alex Henery, Dan Bailey, Josh Jasper (in that order).

Nedney is on his last legs, Reed isn't a youngster and a jerk so bring in a fresh leg

Round 6.2: Jonathan Nelson, FS from Oklahoma

Goldson is a free agent, we don't know if Taylor Mays is the answer, so we need a second safety besides Reggie Smith, who did quite good last year. Maybe Curtis Taylor is this guy, maybe it is Mays or maybe it is Jonathan Nelson, who showed a lof of cover abilities and also can play cornerback. He should help on specialteams, too.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Round 7.1 : Donald Buckram, Utep

At running back we have a solid big man behind Frank Gore in Dixon. What we need is a guy, who can help on 3rd downs and can be a change of pace guy. Buckram had some injury problems, but was very productive the years before. He can make people miss, has soft hands and should be a 3rd down back type of player.

Round 7.2: TJ Yates, QB from North Carolina

Yates downside is his arm stength, but in a west coast offense we will use, he could be very effective. He is accurate, and he has experience in a pro style offense. This is a practice squid pick in essential, but why not try a second qb with 4 picks in round 7

Round 7.3: Aldrick Robinson, WR from SMU

A lightning fast, productive wide receiver, who could excel in the return game.

Round 7.4: Matt Asiata, FB from Utah

A good blocker, who can catch the ball and should help at special teams and as Norris' replacement,
[ Edited by stever on Apr 18, 2011 at 7:03 AM ]
I would cream my pants if this was our draft, i dont want T. J yates because it would remind me too much of J. T Osullivan
Has Paea been projected as a NT? I thought he was strictly a 3 tech guy.
Originally posted by Sjceruti:
Has Paea been projected as a NT? I thought he was strictly a 3 tech guy.

Maybe he isn't a nt in a 2 gap scheme, but in our scheme, he should be able to do it. He sure is strong enough ;) Franklin isn't all that big, too.
[ Edited by stever on Apr 18, 2011 at 9:49 AM ]
you had me at stanzi
  • TJA85
  • Veteran
Would Stanzi drop that far though?
Originally posted by TJA85:
Would Stanzi drop that far though?

I think he should be. He is the 8th qb in this draft and not all the teams that need a qb will pick one in the 1st 2 rounds.
  • cgida
  • Veteran
I actually like this mock. I also feel we will pick Stanzi if Dalto or Ponder are gone. Love the mock and the reasoning behind each pick.

Well thought out.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I'm really starting to think Stanzi will be there for us in the 3rd rd. He's really flying under alot of radars. After Mallet, Locker, Dalton, Ponder and Kap, he should be the next to go. All those Qb needy teams in the 2nd rd, should gobble up all those Qb's, allowing Stanzi to softly fall to us.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Apr 20, 2011 at 3:26 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone