There are 333 users in the forums

WR Cecil Shorts - Is he on the 49ers' radar?

Link Here...

Quote:
Mount Union wide receiver Cecil Shorts has had nine workouts and two official visits, according to a league source with knowledge of the situation.

Per a source, Shorts has also had workouts or visits with two AFC East teams, two AFC North teams, one AFC South team, one AFC West team, two NFC West teams, one NFC South team and two NFC North teams.

Shorts ran the 40-yard dash in 4.35 and 4.41 seconds at his Pro Day workout on a wet artificial turf.

NFL scouts are enamored of Shorts' his speed, kick return skills and his potential to run the Wildcat offense if asked as a former quarterback.

Last season, he caught 63 passes for 1,106 yards and 17 touchdowns, running for one score, returning two punts for touchdowns and another kickoff return for a score after missing the first three games with an ankle injury.

As a sophomore, he caught 77 passes for 1,485 yards and 23 touchdowns to earn All-American honors. He also quarterbacked his team due to an injury in the Division III playoffs and rushed for 98 yards and two touchdowns on 10 carries.

Shorts is also a track and field All-American selection.

He finished fifth in the 55 meters in the 2009 indoor track championships.

Shorts recently conducted a telephone interview with National Football Post:

NFP: What do you want NFL teams to come away knowing about you?

Shorts: "When they meet me, they'll see I'm an overall good guy with no character problems or issues with the law or team discipline. That will speak for itself. Playing-wise, I just want to prove that I can play. People question my speed, which I take as a slap in the face. I'll definitely prove that I'm fast, will catch every ball and that I can play at this level."

NFP: Why should an NFL team draft you within the first three to four rounds?

Shorts: "No. 1, character. I won't get in any trouble. I'm a team guy. I will be the first and last guy on and off the field. I will bust my butt. I didn't have a scholarship. I earned everything I got. That will carry over to the NFL. I'll be the first one in the NFL room. I plan to outwork everybody. I've got a chip on my shoulder. Nobody is going to outwork me. Once Pierre Garcon made it, that really motivated me."

NFP: Who do you emulate in the NFL?

Shorts: "I play my own game and I want to be myself, but I do watch a lot of film. I learn from Pierre. I watch the Packers. I learn moves from Greg Jennings and Donald Driver."

NFP: Where could you have gone to school out of high school in Cleveland?

Shorts: "I didn't have any Division I offers. I could have walked on at Akron. I had a couple Division II offers, Glenville State in West Virginia, Slippery Rock, Lock Haven. I wanted to play quarterback coming out of high school."

NFP: How big a plus is your return ability?

Shorts: "I've got big-play ability. I had numerous long returns and touchdowns. I had a couple long returns called back. I can give my team great field position, and I'm a very surehanded guy."

I like him I wouldn't mind drafting him with one of our 2 4th round picks
His name is stupid. DO NOT WANT
Originally posted by valrod33:

Well, so is Lynn Swann, but that didn't stop him.
  • mod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PTulini:
Originally posted by valrod33:

Well, so is Lynn Swann, but that didn't stop him.

I think his name is so stupid it just might work...

Blaine Gabbert is doomed to fail based on his name alone. His name is just dumb...
Could well be our slot receiver and return guy if Ginn gets the bump.
Cincy will take a strong look at him. They need a WR and a return man and Cecil fills both holes.
What is his height, wingspan and weight?
[ Edited by kronik on Apr 18, 2011 at 2:10 PM ]
I did a bit of research on him for my blog

I think Shorts could be a steal. Mount Union already churned out one decent Reciever in Pierre Garcon.

Cecil Shorts III, Mount Union: Shorts is a very intriguing prospect. His college production was stellar, earning three straight 1,000 yard seasons. His combine results are equally as impressive:

40 Yard Dash 4.50
20 Yard Dash 2.54
10 Yard Dash 1.59
Broad Jump 9’06”
Vertical Jump 34 1/2
3-Cone Drill 6.50
Bench Press 21

Yet, despite his strong showing, Shorts is garnering a mild interest from the NFL. In fact, the Browns were the only team in attendance at Mount Union’s Pro Day. Currently, Shorts is projected to go anywhere between the 4th to 6th rounds. And yet, the reasons for his low draft grade remain lost on me.

Granted, many draft profiles note that Shorts has mild injury concerns, but in three seasons as a starter, Shorts only missed 4 games. Aside from durability, Shorts doesn’t have many red flags. ESPN Insider calls his hands “strong,” and “very reliable,” and CBS Sports notes that Shorts posses “Good character, [is]disciplined and very coachable.”

What is most impressive about Shorts is that he was recruited as a QB. As a freshman, he played both QB and RB. He didn’t transition to WR until his sophomore season, in which posted 77 receptions for 1,484 yards and an Ohio Athletic Conference record 23 touchdowns. Let me repeat, he posted those numbers in his first (FIRST) season as WR.
Share 49ersWebzone