LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 243 users in the forums

Matt Barrows' latest mock

Quinn and Kaepernick would make me happy.

But Quinn and Locker would make me happier.

Even though I am a little worried about Quinn....
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by backontop:
Don't like the QB selection but it's not my mock.
Originally posted by chinawildman:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
I think Barrows watches too much Mayock and Kiper...

Gabbert is terrible, why would anyone draft a QB that couldnt put up more than a 2:1 TD to INT ratio in a spread offense IN THE TOP 10? No pocket presence, no experience dropping back.

College TD:INT ratio really doesnt' mean much. A lot depends on the system, the players at the skill positions, and the conference. Franchise QBs are solid gold. If he busts they loose 4 to 7 years. But if they hit, then the team is a perennial post-season threat and actually competing for a championship.

Ok how about yards per attempt, a general gauge of a quarterback's effectiveness? Gabbert's YPA last year is 6.7 yds/attempt, good for 85th... Not exactly inspiring. System and conference? How about texas tech's Taylor Potts who also plays in a spread offense in the same conference? Better YPA, 35 TDs to 10 INTs, better passing %... What excuse does Gabbert have?

Which is exactly why college statistics don't mean much. The more pertinent questions are: Does he have leadership qualities, athleticism necessary for the position, intelligence for a pro-style system, and the ability to improvise? None of us know for sure, but generally speaking, most draftniks seem to think he has all the necessary tools.

For instance, Kiper/McShay said that Gabbert would be ranked 4th of the highly drafted QBs in the last few years.

Bradford
Stafford
Ryan
Gabbert
Sanchez
Freeman
Flacco
Tebow

Honestly, any one of those QBs would be a marked improvement for our team and get us significantly closer to the playoffs.
Really like Quinn, love the trade
I think Barrows watches too much Mayock and Kiper...

Gabbert is terrible, why would anyone draft a QB that couldnt put up more than a 2:1 TD to INT ratio in a spread offense IN THE TOP 10? No pocket presence, no experience dropping back.

College TD:INT ratio really doesnt' mean much. A lot depends on the system, the players at the skill positions, and the conference. Franchise QBs are solid gold. If he busts they loose 4 to 7 years. But if they hit, then the team is a perennial post-season threat and actually competing for a championship.

Ok how about yards per attempt, a general gauge of a quarterback's effectiveness? Gabbert's YPA last year is 6.7 yds/attempt, good for 85th... Not exactly inspiring. System and conference? How about texas tech's Taylor Potts who also plays in a spread offense in the same conference? Better YPA, 35 TDs to 10 INTs, better passing %... What excuse does Gabbert have?

Which is exactly why college statistics don't mean much. The more pertinent questions are: Does he have leadership qualities, athleticism necessary for the position, intelligence for a pro-style system, and the ability to improvise? None of us know for sure, but generally speaking, most draftniks seem to think he has all the necessary tools.

For instance, Kiper/McShay said that Gabbert would be ranked 4th of the highly drafted QBs in the last few years.

Bradford
Stafford
Ryan
Gabbert
Sanchez
Freeman
Flacco
Tebow

Honestly, any one of those QBs would be a marked improvement for our team and get us significantly closer to the playoffs.

I see what you're getting at, and yes you're right GOOD college statistics does not necessarily guarantee success at the next level.

However, has there been a highly drafted QB with MEDIOCRE stats? The closest guy to Gabbert on that list is Freeman, who had 20 TDs compared to 8 INTs his last year in K State. But he wasn't even a lock to go in the first round last year.
Supposedly Kaepernick is not a WCO qb?? Why would you give up the number one rated qb in Gabbert, who is accurate. The team would be better off with Gabbert at #7 and whatever OLB (Brooks Reed) is available at 45
Share 49ersWebzone