LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 330 users in the forums

Niners23's Mock Draft v1.0

Why not take The Best QB in the draft @ 7 Ryan Mallett and then we have 11 picks to go best player available. Don't have to trade any picks and you get the best QB in the draft. With Mallett you've got a shot at a FRANCHISE QB for 10 years ...
Originally posted by CRABTREE:
Why not take The Best QB in the draft @ 7 Ryan Mallett and then we have 11 picks to go best player available. Don't have to trade any picks and you get the best QB in the draft. With Mallett you've got a shot at a FRANCHISE QB for 10 years ...

FYI...
Typing your message in all bold font or all caps will not get a lot of positive comments.

Also, since we are running a WCO based on timing; our QB needs to be accurate and display good footwork. I do not see Mallet as that type of QB.

You may not be wrong about Mallet, but he has to go to the right team/system to realize his potential.
^just say hell no to mallet

no way houston lasts till 45 he will be a top 20 or at worst a top 25 pick
Originally posted by DynastyPart2:

FYI...
Typing your message in all bold font or all caps will not get a lot of positive comments.

Also, since we are running a WCO based on timing; our QB needs to be accurate and display good footwork. I do not see Mallet as that type of QB.

You may not be wrong about Mallet, but he has to go to the right team/system to realize his potential.

That kind of thinking had us picking Carmazzi over Brady. Matt Schaub is a statue too. Dude does just fine in Houston's West Coast Offense.

I'm not advocating Mallett. I just like to keep all options open. Just because someone isn't ideal for your offense doesn't mean he can't work in your offense. Mobility is not a requirement for a West Coast Offense. Though Drunkenmiller failed miserably we have selected statues before in our glory days.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Apr 17, 2011 at 8:45 AM ]

FYI...

I agree that typing a message in all caps can be an eye-sore, but all bold is not nearly as offensive. Crabtree is on a mission, a great one, so I see no problem with the bold.

However, my comments:

1. Stanzi would be my third choice. I do think that in a "normal" year, he's a third rounder. But because of the unusual circumstances, he'll probably go in the second. I do like him, but he's a tough read. I think that he does have the ubiquitous "intangibles", but his measurables are hard to read. He doesn't pop out at you, but it's hard to guage how badly he wants it and that'll make all the difference. That said, if you are not going to go QB in the first, and you're stting pat with the team's second choice, you take your QB in the second and save your draft choices. That'll be Stanzi at #45; the others will be gone. And, frankly, I take Stanzi over Dalton and Ponder anyway. I like Kapearnick better (after Mallet), but he'll be gone at #45.

2. Is Quinn gone at #7? I get it with Petersen, but pass rusher is just so much more important. Just my opinion. And it's very hard to judge who's going to be shut down. If Petersen ends up at safety, as some are predicitng, #7 is too rich. We need pass rush.

3. Marecic. The love fest some have with this kid is pure local homerism. He could end up being a solid player, but there is absolutely nothing outstanding enough about the guy to justify trading up for him. He's no game changer. pure vanilla and there are going to be plenty of FBs who are as good or better than him at any point of the draft. To say he's worth TWO draft picks makes no sense. And than to top it off, to pick him ahead of that RB from Cal (forget his name, but a very good pick, if he lasts that long which I doubt) who is a potential home run hitter . . . well I don't get it.

4. Still a credible story. It's your draft and it's not crazy.
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:

FYI...

I agree that typing a message in all caps can be an eye-sore, but all bold is not nearly as offensive. Crabtree is on a mission, a great one, so I see no problem with the bold.

However, my comments:

1. Stanzi would be my third choice. I do think that in a "normal" year, he's a third rounder. But because of the unusual circumstances, he'll probably go in the second. I do like him, but he's a tough read. I think that he does have the ubiquitous "intangibles", but his measurables are hard to read. He doesn't pop out at you, but it's hard to guage how badly he wants it and that'll make all the difference. That said, if you are not going to go QB in the first, and you're stting pat with the team's second choice, you take your QB in the second and save your draft choices. That'll be Stanzi at #45; the others will be gone. And, frankly, I take Stanzi over Dalton and Ponder anyway. I like Kapearnick better (after Mallet), but he'll be gone at #45.

2. Is Quinn gone at #7? I get it with Petersen, but pass rusher is just so much more important. Just my opinion. And it's very hard to judge who's going to be shut down. If Petersen ends up at safety, as some are predicitng, #7 is too rich. We need pass rush.

3. Marecic. The love fest some have with this kid is pure local homerism. He could end up being a solid player, but there is absolutely nothing outstanding enough about the guy to justify trading up for him. He's no game changer. pure vanilla and there are going to be plenty of FBs who are as good or better than him at any point of the draft. To say he's worth TWO draft picks makes no sense. And than to top it off, to pick him ahead of that RB from Cal (forget his name, but a very good pick, if he lasts that long which I doubt) who is a potential home run hitter . . . well I don't get it.

4. Still a credible story. It's your draft and it's not crazy.

1.) As far as Stanzi, take a look at some of the stats I had posted and some others, you will see how I came to the conclusion that he may be the best QB in this draft when it's all said and done.

Also to the person saying Tom Brady's stats were not good and Brennan had great stats, I would beg to differ. If you take his stats of Yards/completion Pass/TD and Pass/INT, Brady was spectacular when you consider that he also passed the 26-27-60 test. Brennan on the other hand had a Pass/INT ratio which was just abysmal; I said before that this particular metric is one of the best ones you can use to judge incoming draftees, and Brennan failed it.

Along those lines, if you compare their performance in big games their last year, Brennan played terrible against Georgia, and gave up 2 INT to Boise. Brennan also failed to score a 26 on the Wonderlic, which is considered a good baseline for determining of a QB will be successful. Meanwhile Brady and Stanzi actually stepped up against their toughest opponents and scored well above the 26 cut off. Reading a QB isn't about one thing like a rocket arm or accuracy, it's the totality of the performance taking several different things into account.

The idea of Brady being good because he had heart and whatnot sells short his actual accomplishments in college. Going off of metrics, gameplay and other factors, the guy was a very good QB in college, and should have been drafted in the earlier rounds. It wasn't some fluke that he became what he is, I firmly believe that the writing was on the wall if you go back and look at everything.

2.) I went with Peterson because I think Houston makes it to 45 due to the run on QBs. I think in the end Quinn will be the best pass rusher in this draft, better than Von Miller. However, if I were to pick between Peterson and Houston or Quinn and the 4th best CB (since Jimmy Smith will be gone), or DL if we don't go for a CB, I think I'd take Peterson and Houston.

However, you do bring up a good point, and I entirely agree with you on Quinn being a special player in this league. I don't think PP is Revis v2.0, but I think he'll be the best CB the niners have had in a long long time. I don't think Peterson ends up going to Safety, maybe he will several years down the line, but I see him as a very good CB.

3.) In response to Marecic going before Vereen, I think it comes down to an emotional tie between the coaching staff to him. I think Harbaugh loves the kid, and has gotten Rathman on-board as well. I also think Vereen drops due to scouts not believing he has the speed; after all, RBs are one position where you can find tremendous value late due to players slipping. However, I think Vereen could be an absolute gem in the late rounds and I was impressed by his play at Cal despite being the main focus of every defense they went against.

4.) Thanks, I appreciate that. In the end, we're all arm-chair GMs, and the point of these mocks is more to get some discussion going on various view points than anything else.
[ Edited by Niners23 on Apr 17, 2011 at 3:42 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone