LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 291 users in the forums

Sideline Scouting Mock

Every once in awhile, you come across a really intriguing mock. I did, and it's at the link below. While it's debatable whether Gabbert will be available at #7, nonetheless, I found this mock to be creative, and it addresses just about all Niner needs. The only criticism would be not getting one of the top pass rushers early. But, that's offset with Gabbert and Aaron Williams, meeting two of Harbaugh's top 3 priorities. Even without Gabbert, you could substitude Quinn, then a QB in 2nd rd. Take a look and see what you think...

http://www.sidelinescouting.com/mock/
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I'd cream my pants if we got Gabbert.
Taking Gabbert at that point makes sense if Harbaugh thinks he can win with this guy. After that, this mock goes astray. Aaron Williams WAS a coveted player as a CB until the postseason. Now, most people agree that he isn't even the best CB prospect on his own team (Curtis Brown). He projects better as a safety. I would go for with either Ras-I Dowling or even Marvin Austin at this point the way they project the draft.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Taking Gabbert at that point makes sense if Harbaugh thinks he can win with this guy. After that, this mock goes astray. Aaron Williams WAS a coveted player as a CB until the postseason. Now, most people agree that he isn't even the best CB prospect on his own team (Curtis Brown). He projects better as a safety. I would go for with either Ras-I Dowling or even Marvin Austin at this point the way they project the draft.

I don't necessarily agree that he should be a safety any more than a corner -- I think he could feasibly play either -- and I just don't agree that Curtis Brown is a better prospect than Williams. I thought he played worse than Williams during the season.

Williams is still garnering buzz as a possible first round selection, while Brown hasn't really had any talk of going any higher than the 2nd. Williams popped off a 4.38 at his Pro-Day, and for his size that's impressive. People only started grumbling about Williams possibly having to move to safety because of his higher-than-expected 4.55 at the combine. He silenced the critics by blazing at his pro day and trimming off about two-tenths of that combine time.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Apr 17, 2011 at 12:32 PM ]
why does every1 like gabbert so much 16 td and 11 int in a spread offense? is it his hair or something?
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
why does every1 like gabbert so much 16 td and 11 int in a spread offense? is it his hair or something?

Colt Brennan put up terrific stats in college...where is he now?

Joe Montana and Tom Brady didn't exactly light up the stat lines either.
Originally posted by mayo49:
I'd cream my pants if we got Gabbert.

gabbert??? gabbert???

i'd puke
Originally posted by genus49:

at least brady and montana didn't play in gimmic type offenses

i dont get it either. Gabbert has done nothing IMO to be worthy of the top 5 pick label. Do I think he goes top 5-10 YES, do I think he desrves it HELL NO.

i didnt say he has no chance of being a top qb i just mean why is he a top pick yes montana and brady didnt put up great college numbers but they werent top picks

Tom Brady and Joe Montana played in pro style offenses that directly translated the the NFL.
They also weren't picked in the top 10.
Share 49ersWebzone