LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 229 users in the forums

Possibly my last mock before the draft mock draft

Ok, Harbaugh will get Alex to come back and then sign someone like Marc Bulger or trade a 2012 pick for Josh Johnson. Like a 4th or 5th. They'll compete for QB. Baas also needs to come back and we will get T. Spikes to return as well. Franklin and Manny are going to walk IMO.

7: Prince Amukamara CB
Safe pick and a good character player, he will make a difference right away. He has good technique, he's really smart, and he has blazing speed running a 4.38 at the combine.

45: Marcus Cannon OT/OG
Going to replace Chilo at Right guard. You'll get to see what Harbaugh can do with 2 maulers at guard in Iupati and Cannon, and Davis at RT and Baas at C. Staley protects the blind side and Harbaugh has 4 maulers on the OLine to run wild with Gore and Dixon, similar to what he did at Stanford with Toby Gerhart.

76: Taiwan Jones RB
Hopefully he is still here, his injuries could cause a few teams to hesitate. But he is really fast and very productive, if the guy can stay healthy you are looking at a player who could flourish under Harbaugh. Might be CJ2K lite.

108: Sione Fua NT
We need a replacement for Franklin, he fits in Fangio's system, and he's a beast. He was initially thought to be a little undersized to play NT, but he has put on some muscle since the combine and is now like around 310.

115: Kelvin Sheppard ILB
I really feel this guy could be a good TED lb. He's about 6'2'', 250, and was LSU's main LB. I think he fit well next to Patrick Willis, and I'm not confident that Bowman is the TED of the future.

141: Greg McElroy QB
He is smart, accurate, played in a pro style offense, and is really underrated IMO. The guy has done nothing but win, but because he played on a really talented team he was downgraded. People say he doesnt have a great arm but he averages 8.1 YPA, which is better than a guy like Gabbert. I could see him becoming a Matt Hasselbeck QB.

174: Anthony Sherman FB
From what I saw this guy is an excellent blocker and he can catch the ball decently too. In Harbaugh's offense you are going to need a fullback, and I think if you pick Marecic or Havili you might be taking them too high because they're like 4th or 5th round guys.

190: Brandon Bair DE
Hoping he would still be available here. He's ready to play and he can fit in at DE in a 3-4 D. Get 5 more lbs of muscle on this guy and he's a perfect fit at 3-4 DE IMO.

211: Mark Herzlich OLB
Okay this guy is a way better player than slipping this far in the draft, but I looked and I didn't even see him on MadDog's board of drafted players. He was a first rounder before the cancer effected him and I find it really hard to believe that he won't get back some of the ability he lost after being away from football. A bad combine time might've dropped his stock(4.9) but he plays faster than that IMO. I think he hasn't regained some of the speed he had before but he will. And the Patriots have proven with Brandon Spikes that 40 time(he ran a 5.1) isn't everything. He has made a lot of plays by getting INTs, 6 in his junior year and 4 in his senior year. He is a good football player and if he slips this far he is an absolute steal.

231: Steven Friday OLB
He had a really good season, I'm not sure why he's not thought of more highly. But he's a pretty good pass rusher and I think he could do well in our defense. I'm a fan.

239: Kai Forbath Kicker
Replacement for Nedney. I like Alex Henery better, but I'm not crazy about using a higher pick on him. It's possible Forbath is still here, and he's a pretty accurate kicker.

250: Brett Bracket TE
Pass catching TE who the 9ers have shown some interest in. Gets to compete with Byham and if he does well enough Delanie too.

Want to thank Mad Dog and OTC, I tried to use their boards to get a decent idea of where these guys are ranked and some guys are lower or higher because of my opinion and the fact that the draft is impossible to predict perfectly. But their boards helped me a lot.

Thoughts?
[ Edited by WillistheWall on Apr 14, 2011 at 11:05 PM ]
Overall, I like it. BUT... I really don't expect the 49ers to wait that long for a QB. In fact, I think they'll draft two!
[ Edited by PTulini on Apr 14, 2011 at 11:10 PM ]
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Ok, Harbaugh will get Alex to come back and then sign someone like Marc Bulger or trade a 2012 pick for Josh Johnson. Like a 4th or 5th. They'll compete for QB. Baas also needs to come back and we will get T. Spikes to return as well. Franklin and Manny are going to walk IMO.

good pick, that will be a solid #1 CB for a long time. Ceiling isn't as high as P.P. but can be a lock down corner.

I have sirius NFL radio and I heard an interview tonight... the kid didn't impress me at all. I wouldnt spend a 2nd on him, I'm glad to hear he doesn't have cancer. He is strong as an ox though I'd be willing to take in 3rd, not 2nd.

Love this kid and he has some bulk for how fast he is, so hopefully he can with stand NFL hits. Explosive in every aspect...plus as a local prospect...its a bonus.

If we cant keep Franklin, then I hope we can snag him in the 4th. NT Ian Williams could be another option.

dont know anything about him

Could be the steal of the draft if he can sit for a while... smart, a leader, perfect for WCO.

Who ever Rathman gives a good grade I'll be happy with.

Dont know him

I dont think he'll be available here, but would love to have him...I'm sure he is more focused than ever to prove himself. Our LB core would be scary with him, TKO, Bowman, and Willis. He could recoup and strengthen up in 2011 and be possible replacement for TKO if Bowman cant make the switch. Or we luck out and he comes back 100% and plays rush OLB.

dont know him

Kicker is a need, we lucked out with Reed last season

??? I like our TE's...but its a 7th

Want to thank Mad Dog and OTC, I tried to use their boards to get a decent idea of where these guys are ranked and some guys are lower or higher because of my opinion and the fact that the draft is impossible to predict perfectly. But their boards helped me a lot.

Thoughts?

Bolded are picks I really like
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I don't like McElroy, but maybe Harbaugh can do something with him.
Originally posted by mayo49:

Most scouts are saying that he just doesn't have the skills to play QB at the NFL level. Most say that he's smart and can read the defenses, but his throwing and accuracy skills just aren't NFL caliber. I don't like the pick either.
Originally posted by irishluder:
Originally posted by WillistheWall:

good pick, that will be a solid #1 CB for a long time. Ceiling isn't as high as P.P. but can be a lock down corner.

I have sirius NFL radio and I heard an interview tonight... the kid didn't impress me at all. I wouldnt spend a 2nd on him, I'm glad to hear he doesn't have cancer. He is strong as an ox though I'd be willing to take in 3rd, not 2nd.

Love this kid and he has some bulk for how fast he is, so hopefully he can with stand NFL hits. Explosive in every aspect...plus as a local prospect...its a bonus.

If we cant keep Franklin, then I hope we can snag him in the 4th. NT Ian Williams could be another option.

dont know anything about him

Could be the steal of the draft if he can sit for a while... smart, a leader, perfect for WCO.

Who ever Rathman gives a good grade I'll be happy with.

Dont know him

I dont think he'll be available here, but would love to have him...I'm sure he is more focused than ever to prove himself. Our LB core would be scary with him, TKO, Bowman, and Willis. He could recoup and strengthen up in 2011 and be possible replacement for TKO if Bowman cant make the switch. Or we luck out and he comes back 100% and plays rush OLB.

dont know him

Kicker is a need, we lucked out with Reed last season

??? I like our TE's...but its a 7th

Thoughts?

Bolded are picks I really like

Thanks. I almost went with Danny Watkins in the 2nd but I'm not sure he'll be there. I just want to replace Chilo for a stronger better run blocker and someone who is not such a turnstile in pass protection because I think he's effecting anthony Davis too.
Originally posted by DarthNiner:

Most scouts are saying that he just doesn't have the skills to play QB at the NFL level. Most say that he's smart and can read the defenses, but his throwing and accuracy skills just aren't NFL caliber. I don't like the pick either.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

Yeah, probably a career backup. Nothing more.
I think pass rush needs to be addressed rather earlier. And I tend to agree with those who say we will take one qb early and one late.
I like the thinking but we cant assume alex is coming back or that we will get bulger or josh johnson or palmer or hasslebeck.......if fa was before the draft i agree on all picks or most of them but since its not we go qb in the second or third. In the second dalton or ponder or stanzi in the third

I guess you want the team to keep rebuilding with average talent at the skill positions. The positions of need are as follows.

QB, CB, OLB, NT

Yet you only address CB with the top 4 picks.

Pick 2 is aweful. The niners need a pass rush more than an OL. Say what you want, but the niners should only draft OL this year rounds 5 on. The starters are under contract and Snyder can play well enough, they need to focus on the other four positions of need.

RB that early, are you kidding me? Would not start over Gore or Dixon, you need the pick this high to be a contributor in the rotation. NT or QB is the pick at that spot.

Coould be one of the worst drafts Ihave seen. I would rather trade down than get Prince in round 1
I'm surprised at the criticism. This really isn't bad at all.

WTW, I think this is pretty good work. Just a few notes:

- Cannon is a great player who I'd love to bring to this team, but I don't know if we'll be targeting him. I think pass rush would be a priority, but you never know. Think we'll look OLB, DE, or NT.

- Don't think we'll look at McElroy. I'd guess we would prefer both Devlin and Tyrod Taylor over him. If we pass on QB until the third, obviously Stanzi is a possibility if available.

- A little high perhaps for Anthony Sherman. Don't mind the pick as far as the player though.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Apr 15, 2011 at 9:53 AM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I hope the niners do NOT draft Prince, I see nickle back written all over him.
I don't mind if we draft this way at all. Meat and Potatoes draft. Personally, I love the 2nd round pick. Nothing better than to have an OL that will be able to move any DL. That control factor is what teams fear.

For some reason, I don't like getting Prince at 7 if there's a top rated pass rusher available or even a NT. I think we trade back for more picks if Peterson is gone.

We are looking to be a run-dominated offense in 2011, especially with our QB situation and I don't mind that at all as long as it's not a Jimmy Raye/Singletary no traps and OL movement allowed.
Originally posted by Joecool:
I don't mind if we draft this way at all. Meat and Potatoes draft. Personally, I love the 2nd round pick. Nothing better than to have an OL that will be able to move any DL. That control factor is what teams fear.

For some reason, I don't like getting Prince at 7 if there's a top rated pass rusher available or even a NT. I think we trade back for more picks if Peterson is gone.

We are looking to be a run-dominated offense in 2011, especially with our QB situation and I don't mind that at all as long as it's not a Jimmy Raye/Singletary no traps and OL movement allowed.

Apparently you do not understand the WCO if you think it is run dominated. When the niners had the WCO they had one of the lights and low draft pick OL in the NFL. Draft analysts used to say the niners had the worst OT in the league, yet they won.
Share 49ersWebzone