LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 276 users in the forums

PTulini's Mock Draft- Version 2 (04/14/11)

Very solid. Moving up in the 2nd is better than trading back into the 1st.
Not a fan of Quinn, though you know that. Otherwise, a solid draft.

I do have one question: with no Franklin, who plays NT?

Scott
Great first three picks and i think we do trade up in the second and give up our second foirth and maybe a seventh and move up anywhere between 33 to before minn cin wash second choice if they didnt take a qb. However we could trade up a little less far if minn cin wash did take qbs. Ras i is a great third pick at cb and i would take house there if ras i is gone
I'm on the 'trade up from #45 bandwagon'. There's too many teams looking at QBs in the top of round 2. The need for a QB out weights keeping all the draft picks.
it only seems a couple of us are in favor of bringing back Goldson. I personally think we need to focus on getting our pass rush, CB, QB, and even Nose tackle fixed first
A). Realistic and could happen.

B). Very Smart! Trading up into the 2nd is an excellent move. Also realistic.

C). I would be elated if it went down like this.

D). Personally, I think getting rid of Clements and puting that money towards a FA like Asomugath[sp] or Richard Marshall would be a better move.

E). Also, I like a NT in the 4th like Kendrick Ellis [6'5" 340] ot Powe [6'2" 328] if available.

Thanks for the great draft.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I'd be happy with that.
Nice work, Pat! I agree with OTC that Jenkins and Scott may not be there, but they are the right positions of need. Solid effort!
Think its kinda risky and a pretty bad Draft and FA. Quinn is a 43 DE with 0 experience playing OLB. He hasnt played football in over a year and will need to learn a new position. Dowling is a great pick but if he cant shake that injury monkey on his back hes worthless. Jenkins could be a solid 34 DE but hes kinda light for the NT spot and really has no experience there to be a impact. Cutting loose Lawson is a huge mistake since Haralson,Brooks and Laboy cant cover for s**t in the pass or run. Its already known Quinn isnt covering anyone for atleast 2 seasons. Losing Franklin is a even bigger mistake and imo cripples our DL. How could you not draft or sign a replacement NT. Jenkins isnt strong or heavy enoughto get it done imo. DE yes NT f**k no. Switch Jenkins with Ellis or Powe and Quinn with a CB or a trade down to get a experienced 3-4 OLB like Houston. Then atleast imo your draft wont be on the same level of risk/suck as your FA.
  • Paul
  • Veteran
Ponder doesn't really make me excited.. I agree that the rest of the draft actually looks pretty decent (I'll miss you Nedney), but if we don't get the QB from Nevada I'd rather have us take a guy like Ricky Stanzi in the 3rd/4th round. Good post tho man

Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:
Think its kinda risky and a pretty bad Draft and FA. Quinn is a 43 DE with 0 experience playing OLB. He hasnt played football in over a year and will need to learn a new position. Dowling is a great pick but if he cant shake that injury monkey on his back hes worthless. Jenkins could be a solid 34 DE but hes kinda light for the NT spot and really has no experience there to be a impact. Cutting loose Lawson is a huge mistake since Haralson, Brooks, and Laboy cant cover for s**t in the pass or run. Its already known Quinn isnt covering anyone for atleast 2 seasons. Losing Franklin is a even bigger mistake and imo cripples our DL. How could you not draft or sign a replacement NT. Jenkins isnt strong or heavy enoughto get it done imo. DE yes NT f**k no. Switch Jenkins with Ellis or Powe and Quinn with a CB or a trade down to get a experienced 3-4 OLB like Houston. Then atleast imo your draft wont be on the same level of risk/suck as your FA.

I didn't include FA because of the status of this lockout. The longer it continues, it's more likely that we bring back some of our own guys. (A. Smith, D. Goldson, N. Clements...) There's no sense in guessing about FA now, when we don't even know when it will begin?

I understand your issue with the Jarvis Jenkins pick, but I see him more as a 3-4 DE in this case. He also has a big frame, enough to add 10-15 pounds and possibly make a good DT/NT. Jenkins could also bring added value on special teams. He blocked 4 FGs in his college career!

As for the issue you have with not bringing back Aubrayo Franklin, we have Ricky-Jean Francois (49ers website says 6'3, 295 lbs, but I remember last season he bulked up to around 315) who took the bulk of the snaps at NT during the off-season last year while Franklin held out. We also have Isaac Sopoaga (6'2, 330 lbs) who has good size and strength for the NT position. Plus, who knows who we could pick up in FA? I just don't see the 49ers giving Franklin the long-term deal he's looking for.
[ Edited by PTulini on Apr 15, 2011 at 12:06 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone