There are 164 users in the forums

Funky Chicken's Sure to be Controversial Mock

I know that many around here will not be fans of this draft, probably just because of my first pick. But I have my reasons, so please, read on with an open mind.

I'm basing this draft on a philosophy that many great NFL minds subscribe to. That philosophy is that successful teams need to be built around the three most important positions: QB, blind side OT (usually left OT), and blind side pass rusher (usually RDE, but sometimes OLB). Until those three positions are solidified your team will always be in rebuilding mode.

The 49ers only have one of the three solidified, with Joe Staley at left tackle. So getting a QB and a pass rusher is top priority. I know we need secondary help, but like I said, I just don't think CB or S are as important as OLB or QB.

I'm assuming that there won't be a CBA before the draft, and so I'm leaving free agents and trades out of this.

Round 1 (pick #7) Jake Locker Washington QB

Okay, you can start flaming me now. I don't think Miller or Peterson will be there at 7. But moreover, I really think that with the right coaching Locker could be the best QB in this draft. He has a physical tool set nearly as good as Newton, but has more starts, brains and character. I watched him destroy others teams single handedly his freshman year, and thought to myself, "if Alex Smith doesn't work out I want this guy to be our next QB." Then last year when it seemed like Smith was not working out I thought, "damn, too bad we won't be drafting high enough to get Locker." But he stayed in school, hurt his draft stock and now could be right there for us. I know people will say 7 is too high, and that we could trade back and still get him. Sounds great, but I don't think he will last many picks more. With Washington, Minnesota, Tennessee, and Miami all picking after us, I think there's a good chance he's gone by the mid first. And I'm not sure who we would trade back with that wouldn't use our pick on him. Like I said, QB is the most important position in the game, and we should be trying to get the best prospect we can possibly land, not trying to get a good bargain.
I also like Ponder and Kaepernick, but I'm not sure I'd take either at 7.

Round 2 (pick #45) Justin Houston Georgia OLB

I think with all the QBs that will get picked early, and all the D line talent, Houston could still be around at 45. And Houston looks like a beast at OLB with great speed and athleticism for a guy his size.
I also like Acho and Moch here if Houston is gone.

Round 3 (pick #76) Ras-I Dowling Virginia CB

Maybe not as good as the elite CBs, but still seems like an experienced college player with a good skills and a great head on his shoulders.
If he's gone I'd take Johnny Patrick instead.

Round 4 (pick #108) Shane Vereen Cal RB

I loved watching this guy at Cal and I think he's exactly what we need on the 9ers. He's fast and shifty enough to be our change of pace back and work as a return guy. But he's also big and strong enough (31 bench reps!) to be an every down back sometime in the future. Also great catching the ball out of the back field.

Round 4 (pick #115) Sione Fua Stanford DT

I think Franklin will end up signing a long term deal. But we should still look for another NT and Fangio knows Fua well.

Round 5 (pick #141) Greg Salas Hawaii WR

Has the toughness to go over the middle as a slot guy, but enough talent and size to possibly be a starter some day. Would be a nice complement to Crabtree and Morgan.
I would also be very happy with Jeff Maehl here.

Round 6 (pick #174) Ahmad Black Florida S

I actually think safety is almost as big a need for us CB. But I would like give Mays a chance to develop. Still, if we could get a safety with Black's passion and skill this late it'd be a big win. I think he might drop because of his small size, but could still be a great nickle player and special teamer despite that. Think Bob Sanders.

Round 6 (pick #190) Casey Mathews Oregon LB

Okay, this pick is mostly about genetics. But even if he doesn't turn out to be as good as his brother, he could still be a great backup ILB.

Round 7 (pick #210) Owen Marecic Stanford FB

I've seen this guy going much higher on some mocks, but I really don't think anyone is taking a FB high unless they put up Jacob Hester numbers. Still, I think Marecic could be a solid FB for us, and put his LB skills to use on special teams.

Round 7 (pick #230) Adam Froman Louisville QB

We need more than one QB and this local kid has real physical tools. He's similar to Locker in many ways, which I think would make him a great back up if he can develop. Plus, I gotta go with a fellow SRJC alum.
Devlin is another QB I'd love to get late.

Round 7 (pick #238) John Clay Wisconsin RB

Figuring he'll probably end up on the practice squad. But it's always good to have extra RBs available. And while Clay isn't the greatest (or fastest) all round back, he's a monster on the goal line (41 career TDs!).

Round 7 (pick #249) Jarriel King South Carolina OT

We'll probably want another O lineman. Sounds like this guy has some talent, but should be there late.

I think this mock covers most of our pressing needs and nets us many of my favorite players. Top to bottom, there's a lot of guys I'd love to see on the niners.

Flame away.
  • mike
  • Veteran
Not too hot about the locker pick of course. But honestly I'd be happy with whoever harbaugh chooses because we know he's going to pick the guy he feels HE can coach into a successful franchise qb. He'll see the flaws in a guy like locker that's causing him to have pretty mediocre/inaccurate completion percentages. Throwing technique, footing, something like that could be less important than say...heart and leadership.

Not agreeing with you that locker is necessarily that man. But I'm agreeing that I wouldn't mind if harbaugh took his man at #7(assuming a few other top "needs" are off the board.) Trading back is ideal in this situation obviously, but if there's one qb he's really got an eye on, why risk another team also having their eye on that guy? Take your man. Minnesota, washington, seattle, are just a few teams that are also desperate to upgrade at the qb position.

I don't know about you guys but if ALL we got out of this draft was a solid franchise quarterback, I'd be a happy man.

Generally not a bad mock, if a bit hopeful that all of those popular choice late round picks won't move up.
I would love Matthews and the Stanford FB, but don't see either falling that far. I see both going in the 3rd round range. Also Black doesn't fall. I know his measurables are horrendous, but too good of a football player to slip passed NE that many times.
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
I would love Matthews and the Stanford FB, but don't see either falling that far. I see both going in the 3rd round range. Also Black doesn't fall. I know his measurables are horrendous, but too good of a football player to slip passed NE that many times.

I think both you and the other poster are right, this mock is a little optimistic. I looked at draftcountdown.com and Maddog's big board and all my picks are pretty line with what they're saying.

But I agree, some of those guys could easily be gone by the time I have them getting picked here. I provided some less optimistic alternatives in many cases. And every year I'm shocked by how long some of my favorite players stay on the board. So I think it's okay to be a little optimistic in these things.

And regarding Marecic, I just don't buy that any team is going to spend a 3rd or even a 4th rounder on a blocking FB/special teams player. Maybe a 5th or 6th, but I really don't think so.

Mathews could easily get over drafted though....
I love the Ras-I Dowling pick!
i can dig that, ya dig?
Originally posted by YungAce:
i can dig that, ya dig?

DeMaurice Smith? Is that you?
Originally posted by PTulini:
Originally posted by YungAce:
i can dig that, ya dig?

DeMaurice Smith? Is that you?

LOL, that is great! The fedora hat on the desk is priceless too!

I give you props for going against the grain and explaining why... IF Locker quickly developed and won games then the draft looks genius ...especially with Houston at OLB. I think that Fua and Marecic would be good stanford picks... I like Sherman too as a CB that knows the system and can improve
I like this mock. Not a big Locker fan either but he IS an intriguing prospect.

Black I think will fall as well n would be a steal there. Matthews I worry about cuz I don't see him as being able to get off blocks in the NFL.

I'd take Bradford from USC over Clay there or better yet, take a OG or a C for interior depth. There could be some talent to be had late I think. Some guys like Colin Baxter, Garrett Chisolm (if his injury isn't too big a concern), or the guard Phillips from Stanford
Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
I know that many around here will not be fans of this draft, probably just because of my first pick. But I have my reasons, so please, read on with an open mind.

I'm basing this draft on a philosophy that many great NFL minds subscribe to. That philosophy is that successful teams need to be built around the three most important positions: QB, blind side OT (usually left OT), and blind side pass rusher (usually RDE, but sometimes OLB). Until those three positions are solidified your team will always be in rebuilding mode.

The 49ers only have one of the three solidified, with Joe Staley at left tackle. So getting a QB and a pass rusher is top priority. I know we need secondary help, but like I said, I just don't think CB or S are as important as OLB or QB.

I'm assuming that there won't be a CBA before the draft, and so I'm leaving free agents and trades out of this.

Round 1 (pick #7) Jake Locker Washington QB

Okay, you can start flaming me now. I don't think Miller or Peterson will be there at 7. But moreover, I really think that with the right coaching Locker could be the best QB in this draft. He has a physical tool set nearly as good as Newton, but has more starts, brains and character. I watched him destroy others teams single handedly his freshman year, and thought to myself, "if Alex Smith doesn't work out I want this guy to be our next QB." Then last year when it seemed like Smith was not working out I thought, "damn, too bad we won't be drafting high enough to get Locker." But he stayed in school, hurt his draft stock and now could be right there for us. I know people will say 7 is too high, and that we could trade back and still get him. Sounds great, but I don't think he will last many picks more. With Washington, Minnesota, Tennessee, and Miami all picking after us, I think there's a good chance he's gone by the mid first. And I'm not sure who we would trade back with that wouldn't use our pick on him. Like I said, QB is the most important position in the game, and we should be trying to get the best prospect we can possibly land, not trying to get a good bargain.
I also like Ponder and Kaepernick, but I'm not sure I'd take either at 7.

Round 2 (pick #45) Justin Houston Georgia OLB

I think with all the QBs that will get picked early, and all the D line talent, Houston could still be around at 45. And Houston looks like a beast at OLB with great speed and athleticism for a guy his size.
I also like Acho and Moch here if Houston is gone.

Round 3 (pick #76) Ras-I Dowling Virginia CB

Maybe not as good as the elite CBs, but still seems like an experienced college player with a good skills and a great head on his shoulders.
If he's gone I'd take Johnny Patrick instead.

Round 4 (pick #108) Shane Vereen Cal RB

I loved watching this guy at Cal and I think he's exactly what we need on the 9ers. He's fast and shifty enough to be our change of pace back and work as a return guy. But he's also big and strong enough (31 bench reps!) to be an every down back sometime in the future. Also great catching the ball out of the back field.

Round 4 (pick #115) Sione Fua Stanford DT

I think Franklin will end up signing a long term deal. But we should still look for another NT and Fangio knows Fua well.

Round 5 (pick #141) Greg Salas Hawaii WR

Has the toughness to go over the middle as a slot guy, but enough talent and size to possibly be a starter some day. Would be a nice complement to Crabtree and Morgan.
I would also be very happy with Jeff Maehl here.

Round 6 (pick #174) Ahmad Black Florida S

I actually think safety is almost as big a need for us CB. But I would like give Mays a chance to develop. Still, if we could get a safety with Black's passion and skill this late it'd be a big win. I think he might drop because of his small size, but could still be a great nickle player and special teamer despite that. Think Bob Sanders.

Round 6 (pick #190) Casey Mathews Oregon LB

Okay, this pick is mostly about genetics. But even if he doesn't turn out to be as good as his brother, he could still be a great backup ILB.

Round 7 (pick #210) Owen Marecic Stanford FB

I've seen this guy going much higher on some mocks, but I really don't think anyone is taking a FB high unless they put up Jacob Hester numbers. Still, I think Marecic could be a solid FB for us, and put his LB skills to use on special teams.

Round 7 (pick #230) Adam Froman Louisville QB

We need more than one QB and this local kid has real physical tools. He's similar to Locker in many ways, which I think would make him a great back up if he can develop. Plus, I gotta go with a fellow SRJC alum.
Devlin is another QB I'd love to get late.

Round 7 (pick #238) John Clay Wisconsin RB

Figuring he'll probably end up on the practice squad. But it's always good to have extra RBs available. And while Clay isn't the greatest (or fastest) all round back, he's a monster on the goal line (41 career TDs!).

Round 7 (pick #249) Jarriel King South Carolina OT

We'll probably want another O lineman. Sounds like this guy has some talent, but should be there late.

I think this mock covers most of our pressing needs and nets us many of my favorite players. Top to bottom, there's a lot of guys I'd love to see on the niners.

Flame away.

If we draft Locker that high ill punch 1000 babies

I like the rest of your draft though
[ Edited by valrod33 on Apr 14, 2011 at 6:46 AM ]
I'm a fan of many later picks here, but the Locker at #7 one leaves me going .
I trust Harbaugh. If he is confident in Locker, then I am good with it.....however nothing has impressed me about his decision making and throwing. His leadership and running are insane, but everything is quite meh....but if Harbaugh is confident in him then I shall be too.
If Locker is the pick, then we can plan on ZERO contributions from our 1st rounder for 2 years, maybe more..

He is nowhere near NFL ready right now. He may have great upside, but make no mistake he would be a long term investment.

I would much rather see us taking Peterson, Darius, Quinn or Amukamara.
this is a garbage mock....totally unrealistic. NOT gonna happen

Share 49ersWebzone