LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 248 users in the forums

MadDog's Big 254 Board- April 12 Edition

Originally posted by jta854:
MadDog, what are the chances that we don't draft a QB with one of our first two picks?

The more I hear that we may need to trade up to land a second tier QB (Mallet, Locker, Ponder, & Dalton) the more I think we don't pick a QB with our first two picks.

I don't think we are drafting a QB in the first couple of rounds. The team has already offered a one year to Alex Smith, and will be a player for Josh Johnson's services once the CBA is finalized. I expect these two guys to compete for the starting position next year.

With twelve picks, I think the Niners will eventually draft a mid-late round QB, like a Pat Devlin or Scott Tolzien.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Originally posted by tatayoyo:
MD and other dear webzoners, Drew Boylhart from the huddlereport.com is pretty high on Chris Neild NT from west virginia. have you an opinion on this guy?
i would also like to know what's your list , by priority, of team needs, since the draft will definitly be done before any trade or free agency?
here mine: QB,CB,OLB/DE,NT then 3/4DE, another qb ,another cb,one OL,one FB and a change of pace type RB...it's a good thing that we have more than 10 picks this year.
have a good day.

Almost daily, I place Neild on the board, and then yank him off. He has experience playing the nose in WVU's 3-3-5 defense, and he played at a pretty high level last year. Is he strong enough, and athletic enough, to do it at the next level? That is the debate.

Because I feel the team will be itching to rid themselves of Clements' contract, I believe CB is the highest priority. Free agency at QB, NT, and OLB is also a huge concern, and I don't know how the Niners' gauge their ability to re-sign guys with expired contracts. Center is one more area the team can address.

If the team holds on to all 12 picks, they will likely draft 2 CB's, 2 LB's, a QB, FB, RB, DE, NT, C/OG, slot WR, and possibly K.

could be a tim krumie, kelly gregg type overachiever
Originally posted by Lobo49er:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by LoboLtnLvr49er:
Awesome work as usual MD.

One minor detail, and one even more minor one:

1) 60 Davon House New Mexico (He's from New Mexico St, NMSU, not New Mexico, UNM)

2) I can't BELIEVE you have a UTEP Scumbag rated higher than my beloved gangsta OG Byron Bell from UNM.

232 Byron Bell UNM OG (7th round gem, that’s right, gem) >>> 233 Donald Buckram Texas El-Paso RB

(Byron should be placed at spot 232, with a note identifying the huge drop off in talent between 232 and 233.)

Other than that, love the board MD.

Agreed!!

Don't worry, Buckram may not make the final board. He's a tough case to judge on whether he'll be draft. Amazing year last year, but struggled with injuries in 2010.

His Pro Day numbers were okay. Great straight line speed, but average numbers in the bench and was not great in the agility drills.

Thanks OTC, now to get MD to see the error of his ways....

Well, to be honest, I don't have Bell on my board right now and I do have Buckram.

But AGAIN, this could very well change as I shuffle through the fringe picks to make my final call on the 254. It could be that I actually replace Buckram WITH Bell.
Originally posted by LoboLtnLvr49er:
Awesome work as usual MD.

One minor detail, and one even more minor one:

1) 60 Davon House New Mexico (He's from New Mexico St, NMSU, not New Mexico, UNM)

2) I can't BELIEVE you have a UTEP Scumbag rated higher than my beloved gangsta OG Byron Bell from UNM.

232 Byron Bell UNM OG (7th round gem, that’s right, gem) >>> 233 Donald Buckram Texas El-Paso RB

(Byron should be placed at spot 232, with a note identifying the huge drop off in talent between 232 and 233.)

Other than that, love the board MD.

Agreed!!

Don't worry, Buckram may not make the final board. He's a tough case to judge on whether he'll be draft. Amazing year last year, but struggled with injuries in 2010.

His Pro Day numbers were okay. Great straight line speed, but average numbers in the bench and was not great in the agility drills.

Thanks OTC, now to get MD to see the error of his ways....

Well, to be honest, I don't have Bell on my board right now and I do have Buckram.

But AGAIN, this could very well change as I shuffle through the fringe picks to make my final call on the 254. It could be that I actually replace Buckram WITH Bell.

That back end of the draft is tricky with the RB's and OT's, as it is with all later rounders. It is truly a "beauty in the eye of the beholder". Now, to only tap into the minds of these 32 teams player personnel directors...or steal their board.
MadDog, what are the chances that we don't draft a QB with one of our first two picks?

The more I hear that we may need to trade up to land a second tier QB (Mallet, Locker, Ponder, & Dalton) the more I think we don't pick a QB with our first two picks.

I don't think we are drafting a QB in the first couple of rounds. The team has already offered a one year to Alex Smith, and will be a player for Josh Johnson's services once the CBA is finalized. I expect these two guys to compete for the starting position next year.

With twelve picks, I think the Niners will eventually draft a mid-late round QB, like a Pat Devlin or Scott Tolzien.

Dennis Dixon out of the picture now for you?
May I also add that I'm shocked Bruce Miller isn't in there.

Maybe you should replace one of the two Nate Irvings with him.

Also: Need more fringe players to add to the list? I've got several that are driving me mad again.

Justin Trattou-DE/OLB-Florida, 6-3 249 4.72 and 22 reps of 225 -- has visited with the Chiefs reportedly.

Markell Carter-DE/OLB-Arkansas State, 6-4 248 4.70 -- has worked out for the Jaguars and Packers. Jacksonville drafted a former teammate of Carter, Larry Hart.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Apr 14, 2011 at 11:15 PM ]
MD, if you don't think they will target a QB with their 2nd pick who do you think they will target then?
Originally posted by tatayoyo:
MD, if you don't think they will target a QB with their 2nd pick who do you think they will target then?

I think it will be a best player available. If Harbaugh sees a top level DL, that might be the pick, or an OLB to put pressure on the QB.

However, what if a highly rated RB fell into his lap, or a top level WR? That might be the pick.

Kentucky WR/RB/Slash QB Randall Cobb is someone the team might take a long look at, if he is on the board at 45. He can play all over the field, is a terrific young man, and could create matchup problems at the next level.

The cost of moving up from 45 to the first round is pretty steep, and I think Harbaugh would like to keep all of his draft picks in the first few rounds to build the foundation for his team.
Originally posted by 49erThrowback:

I don't consider Dixon out, but I think Johnson's familiarity in Harbaugh's system is a bit more likely to happen. Dixon should get some action in free agency once the veil is lifted.

I hope this happens. The drafted QB (with the possible exception to Gabbert) won't make a difference this year, so why reach for a QB in this draft? Palmer, Johnson, Dixon, and Smith all know the NFL better than a rookie QB. With a short training camp this years draft class won't get the reps that they need to develop as much.

The 9ers could fill every major whole in the 1st 3 rounds except QB. Let the other teams fight over 2nd round prospects so that a 1st round prospect drops to them. a 1st round prospect will fall if Locker, Mallet, Ponder, Dalton, Kaepernick all get drafted before them.

May I also add that I'm shocked Bruce Miller isn't in there.

Maybe you should replace one of the two Nate Irvings with him.

Also: Need more fringe players to add to the list? I've got several that are driving me mad again.

Justin Trattou-DE/OLB-Florida, 6-3 249 4.72 and 22 reps of 225 -- has visited with the Chiefs reportedly.

Markell Carter-DE/OLB-Arkansas State, 6-4 248 4.70 -- has worked out for the Jaguars and Packers. Jacksonville drafted a former teammate of Carter, Larry Hart.

I thought Trattou looked terrific this offseason. The big question is whether he is athletic enough to transition to the 3-4 defense. Carter has the similar size to Trattou, and will also need to answer questions on his ability to play in reverse.

Both guys will give coaches something to consider during the last few rounds of the draft. To me, I think they are priority free agents, but right on that bubble to be drafted.

I don't consider Dixon out, but I think Johnson's familiarity in Harbaugh's system is a bit more likely to happen. Dixon should get some action in free agency once the veil is lifted.

Realistically, what do you think it will take to get Johnson? And which discounted picks will the Niners be willing to give up in next year's draft? I realize that depends somewhat on what they think of whomever they get in this draft, but still...
I'm starting to change my tune on Jeremy Beal. I think he probably will go undrafted, and I'm pulling him off the board. I'm comparing his fall to Wallace Gilberry a few years back. He (Gilberry) was thought of as someone who'd go in the 2nd-4th round range before he had such poor workout numbers.

Gilberry is a good player, and so is Beal, but Beal is going to have to hope he can land with a team that can find a way to effectively use him. Gilberry got picked up and landed in the right place and because of that has been a fairly productive player.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Apr 17, 2011 at 9:33 PM ]

Realistically, what do you think it will take to get Johnson? And which discounted picks will the Niners be willing to give up in next year's draft? I realize that depends somewhat on what they think of whomever they get in this draft, but still...

I think the team will be willing to give up a third or fourth rounder for Johnson. Maybe a fourth rounder that can escalate to a third rounder.
I'm starting to change my tune on Jeremy Beal. I think he probably will go undrafted, and I'm pulling him off the board. I'm comparing his fall to Wallace Gilberry a few years back. He (Gilberry) was thought of as someone who'd go in the 2nd-4th round range before he had such poor workout numbers.

Gilberry is a good player, and so is Beal, but Beal is going to have to hope he can land with a team that can find a way to effectively use him. Gilberry got picked up and landed in the right play and because of that has been a fairly productive player.

I've had Beal off for awhile now, and scouts are beginning to look at him as an ILB, since he may be far too slow off the edge. If he is drafted, I will surely kick myself.
For now, I'm sticking with my guns, even though some draft pundits have him as a third or fourth rounder, which is hilarious to me.
Share 49ersWebzone