LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 229 users in the forums

Who's you 5 can't miss players?

Sorry if this has been posted already. Tried one search and then just didn't care. I was wanting to know who everyone has as a can't miss prospect? Something that I like to do every year is predict who has what it takes to be a stud in the NFL. Not just make it on a team, or be a pretty good special teams player, but who will flat out be dominant at their position. It doesn't matter what position as well. You can pick from any draft-able player. These are picks that have no excuses attached to them. No blaming poor coaching, or injuries or Quarterbacks for their performance...one way or another these guys will get it done. I like to think of it like vegas...if i had to bet my hard earned money on a couple of guys who would it be. I'll start:

1. Julio Jones
2. Robert Quinn
3. Kyle Rudolph
4. Stephen Paea
5. Brooks Reed
  • mod
  • Veteran
AJ Green
Julio Jones
Dareus
Patrick Peterson
Aldon Smith
Who's you? Haha
My 5 guys and who I compare their games to.
1) AJ Green - the surest and safest player in the draft. An automatic pro bowler. Randy Moss hands and an excellent route runner.
2) Patrick Peterson- he will be a lockdown corner, than dominating safety, and an even better punt returner (if allowed). Rod Woodson with crazy speed
3) Robert Quinn- could easily be the best player in this draft and will be a 10+ sack guy every year. Poor Man's Lawrence Taylor
4) JJ Watt- Think a young Richard Seymour. He will be a steal if drafted out of the top ten.
5) Marcel Dareus- Warren Sapp plus. He might not be the sack artist Sapp was but he will be a better all around player.
1. Prince Amukamara, CB, Nebraska
2. Phil Taylor, NT, Baylor
3. Mason Foster, OLB, Washington
4. Cameron Heyward, DE, Ohio State
5. A.J. Green, WR, Georgia
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
AJ Green
Julio Jones
Patrick Peterson
Ryan Kerrigan
Mark Ingram
Von Miller
Patrick Peterson
A.J. Green
Robert Quinn
Julio Jones
To all of you thinking that both Jones and Green are can't miss sure-fire pro-bowl prospects, let me give you a list of the WRs picked within the top 15 picks in the draft in the last 10 years.

(2000) Peter Warrick (#4)
(2000) Plaxico Burress (#8)
(2000) Travis Taylor (#10)
(2001) David Terrell (#8)
(2001) Koren Robinson (#9)
(2001) Rod Gardner (#15)
(2002) Donte' Stallworth (#13)
(2003) Charles Rogers (#2)
(2003) Andre Johnson (#3)
(2004) Larry Fitzgerald (#3)
(2004) Roy Williams (#4)
(2004) Reggie Williams (#9)
(2005) Braylon Edwards (#3)
(2005) Troy Williamson (#7)
(2005) Mike Williams (#10)
(2007) Calvin Johnson (#1)
(2007) Ted Ginn Jr (#9)
(2009) Darrius Heyward-Bey (#7)
(2009) Michael Crabtree (#10)

Of all of those guys, I see 3 (Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald) that are perennial pro-bowlers. I see a ton of busts, and others with huge character concerns that makes teams not want to touch them with a 10 foot pole. In fact, the number of busts far outweigh even the number of good receivers; and keep in mind these were, in their respective drafts, the cream of the crop, the highest WRs taken.

Historically speaking, WRs selected high do not end up being what they are expected to be. So letting history be the judge, there's no way that both Jones and Green will be elite-level WRs in the NFL.
[ Edited by Niners23 on Apr 11, 2011 at 11:32 PM ]
1. Prince Amukamara - CB - Nebraska
2. A.J. Green - WR - Georgia
3. Ryan Kerrigan - DE/OLB - Purdue
4. Mark Ingram - RB - Alabama
5. Marcell Dareus - DT - Alabama
My 5:

1. DL Marcell Dareus
2. DE J. J. Watt
3. OG/C Mike Pouncy
4. DE Robert Quinn
5. TE Kyle Rudolph
Originally posted by Niners23:
To all of you thinking that both Jones and Green are can't miss sure-fire pro-bowl prospects, let me give you a list of the WRs picked within the top 15 picks in the draft in the last 10 years.

(2000) Peter Warrick (#4)
(2000) Plaxico Burress (#8)
(2000) Travis Taylor (#10)
(2001) David Terrell (#8)
(2001) Koren Robinson (#9)
(2001) Rod Gardner (#15)
(2002) Donte' Stallworth (#13)
(2003) Charles Rogers (#2)
(2003) Andre Johnson (#3)
(2004) Larry Fitzgerald (#3)
(2004) Roy Williams (#4)
(2004) Reggie Williams (#9)
(2005) Braylon Edwards (#3)
(2005) Troy Williamson (#7)
(2005) Mike Williams (#10)
(2007) Calvin Johnson (#1)
(2007) Ted Ginn Jr (#9)
(2009) Darrius Heyward-Bey (#7)
(2009) Michael Crabtree (#10)

Of all of those guys, I see 3 (Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald) that are perennial pro-bowlers. I see a ton of busts, and others with huge character concerns that makes teams not want to touch them with a 10 foot pole. In fact, the number of busts far outweigh even the number of good receivers; and keep in mind these were, in their respective drafts, the cream of the crop, the highest WRs taken.

Historically speaking, WRs selected high do not end up being what they are expected to be. So letting history be the judge, there's no way that both Jones and Green will be elite-level WRs in the NFL.

I'll go for one in each of the first five rounds:

First Round- AJ Green
Second Round- Rodney Hudson
Third Round- Mason Foster
Fourth Round- Alex Green
Fifth Round- Alex Henery
1. Cam Newton
2. Justion Houston
3. Patrick Peterson
4. AJ Green
5. Nick Fairly
Marcel Dareus