LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 403 users in the forums

Terelle Pryor considering entering supplamental draft

Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by valrod33:
mortreport Chris Mortensen
Pryor will be allowed to participate in training camp in preseason but then, like a suspension, will have to sit out practice & 5 games
40 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

good for the nfl upholding that suspension.

how so?

i agree
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by vrabbit:
Originally posted by valrod33:
mortreport Chris Mortensen
Pryor will be allowed to participate in training camp in preseason but then, like a suspension, will have to sit out practice & 5 games
40 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

how so?

When AJ Green got suspended, it went into effect immediately meanwhile Pryor (and his teammates who also were caught red handed) was allowed to play in his Bowl game because he made a promise to his coach and to the university to come back for his senior year and serve said suspension. When he decided to forgo his senior year he was escaping any and all punishment at that point. I think the NFL is doing a tremendous job of sending a message here to college players that they will not be a means to escape punishments handed down by the NCAA.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
When AJ Green got suspended, it went into effect immediately meanwhile Pryor (and his teammates who also were caught red handed) was allowed to play in his Bowl game because he made a promise to his coach and to the university to come back for his senior year and serve said suspension. When he decided to forgo his senior year he was escaping any and all punishment at that point. I think the NFL is doing a tremendous job of sending a message here to college players that they will not be a means to escape punishments handed down by the NCAA.

agreed.
Goodell blows. This is all about image. It's not like Pryor was likely to play early anyway, especially not as a starter. This is just another one of his decisions that he makes to show authority.
I don't agree with the suspension, Pryor's not facing charges here. If Cam got busted with something else they're not giving him a suspension. Reggie Bush didn't get suspended.

That being said it's not a normal offseason so whatever.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
I don't agree with the suspension, Pryor's not facing charges here. If Cam got busted with something else they're not giving him a suspension. Reggie Bush didn't get suspended. That being said it's not a normal offseason so whatever.

Exactly. The NCAA and the NFL are two separate entities. If Reggie was still in college, he wouldve been suspended indefinitely. Where was Goodell in that? I'm glad he stood back, but why uphold the NCAA's punishment on Pryor? Financially he's taken a huge loss already. Guys that are already in the league do much worse and nothing happens to them.
Originally posted by strickac:
Exactly. The NCAA and the NFL are two separate entities. If Reggie was still in college, he wouldve been suspended indefinitely. Where was Goodell in that? I'm glad he stood back, but why uphold the NCAA's punishment on Pryor? Financially he's taken a huge loss already. Guys that are already in the league do much worse and nothing happens to them.
I just looked up Goodell's reasoning, and it makes no sense to me. He said he made a mockery of the draft. WTF? Is he mad he didn't come out then because I'm positive Pryor wouldn't be suspended if he declared in January.

NFLPA should step on this one. I'm okay with player suspensions when criminal issues are involved but this is just bs. Violating NCAA rules is not grounds for a suspension.
I think someone throws a 2nd at him. Oakland possibly Washington

That's pretty high to draft a major project, Pryor will need several years to learn how to play QB, even then he might be better suited for a Kordell Stewart Slash role to begin his career.
I just looked up Goodell's reasoning, and it makes no sense to me. He said he made a mockery of the draft. WTF? Is he mad he didn't come out then because I'm positive Pryor wouldn't be suspended if he declared in January.

NFLPA should step on this one. I'm okay with player suspensions when criminal issues are involved but this is just bs. Violating NCAA rules is not grounds for a suspension.

Yeah, I'm with you. He sure turns a blind eye to his players getting DUIs. That much worse than driving a loaner car, IMO. How does Pryor's decision make a mockery of the draft? He stood to gain much more by declaring early. If Tressel wouldnt have been fired, Pryor wouldve stayed at OSU. His decision to enter the NFL was based on Tressel's situation and had nothing to do with the draft process.

Goodell is an idiot. He gets a kick out of playing warden. He needs to go.

Yeah, I'm with you. He sure turns a blind eye to his players getting DUIs. That much worse than driving a loaner car, IMO. How does Pryor's decision make a mockery of the draft? He stood to gain much more by declaring early. If Tressel wouldnt have been fired, Pryor wouldve stayed at OSU. His decision to enter the NFL was based on Tressel's situation and had nothing to do with the draft process.

Goodell is an idiot. He gets a kick out of playing warden. He needs to go.

The only part I disagree with is the Tressel leaving part. More of Pryor's scandals were uncovered and he was going to be booted off the team anyway you look at it.

Still shouldn't matter though. If someone's in the supplamental player it's pretty much assumed that they weren't in good terms in regards to their eligibility in college.
He'll end up on the Raiders or Bengals
I've never been a Pryor fan,probably never will be but I think he is getting screwed by the NFL by being suspended before he even comes into the league. This is an all time low for Goddell. Think about what he is doing. Its unprescedented. He is suspending a player that is not in the NFL for something that he did in college and has nothing to do with the NFL. Take this into account also. With the Univ of Miami scandal going down, by doing this to Pryor Goodell is opening the door to suspend each and every University of Miami player that was involved both past and current. IMO what happens in college football stays in college football. Anyway getting back to Pryor, his accuracy is too big in issue and I really dont see him going higher than the 5th round.
Heard the Bills are interested in him

EDIT: wait nvm, the source is incarceratedbob
[ Edited by DaDivaRecieva15 on Aug 18, 2011 at 11:56 PM ]
Originally posted by E-49er:
I've never been a Pryor fan,probably never will be but I think he is getting screwed by the NFL by being suspended before he even comes into the league. This is an all time low for Goddell. Think about what he is doing. Its unprescedented. He is suspending a player that is not in the NFL for something that he did in college and has nothing to do with the NFL. Take this into account also. With the Univ of Miami scandal going down, by doing this to Pryor Goodell is opening the door to suspend each and every University of Miami player that was involved both past and current. IMO what happens in college football stays in college football. Anyway getting back to Pryor, his accuracy is too big in issue and I really dont see him going higher than the 5th round.

I believe Gooddell is taking the first step in what people want. Treat the NCAA like a development league and make the players accountable when they enter the NFL if they screwed up in college. Too many players jump ship when they get in trouble and hurt the universities and other students but they get contracts. I would like to see this happen. It could clean up the college game and force these young men to grow up quicker. Plus it would look better for the NFL once they enter.
Share 49ersWebzone