LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 440 users in the forums

Would you trade this year's 2nd for a 1st next year?

Would you trade this year's 2nd for a 1st next year?

• buck
  • Veteran
If an agreement on a deal for a QB has been reached, making the trade is a good idea.

But as with most things, it depends on the context.

We get a functional QB in a trade.

Use our first on a CB or OLB.

Use our third an extra extra picks to move back up into the second.
Draft an CB or OLB.

There is going to be so little time to get ready after there is Collective Bargaining Agreement that the staff is going to have a hard time putting the team together.

At the end of the year, we are going to have a much better sense of what the teamĀ“s true needs are. In 2012, we will have two first rounds picks to fill those needs and we do not know what those needs will be.

In other words, I am not making the assumption that we make this trade to improve our chances of drafting Mr. Luck.
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by Ice49er:
A. Luck and M.Barkley will be in next years draft. Both of this QBs are better than any QB in this class.

And I would bet that at least one of them will have completely fallen out of favour by next year's draft.

Agreed.

In prior years I remember the pre-season hype about Jevan Snead, Colt McCoy and Jake Locker, all in this very forum.

-9fA

I have never understood that argument. If Locker declared last year he would be in the same spot as this year. He would go to the combine ran and thrown just like he did this year.
Normally I would say 100% yes, but I'd be cautious this year as the NFL has said teams can trade future draft picks "at their own risk". It's unlikely, but there is a possibility that there isn't even a draft next year.

Having said that, in any other draft you take that deal in a second and I would still consider it this year if our guys are gone by that point.
A. Luck and M.Barkley will be in next years draft. Both of this QBs are better than any QB in this class.

And I would bet that at least one of them will have completely fallen out of favour by next year's draft.

Agreed.

In prior years I remember the pre-season hype about Jevan Snead, Colt McCoy and Jake Locker, all in this very forum.

-9fA

I have never understood that argument. If Locker declared last year he would be in the same spot as this year. He would go to the combine ran and thrown just like he did this year.

I've said this a number of times, but rumors were last year that he got a 2nd round grade from the advisory committee and that is why he stayed in school. There have been statements saying this is untrue as well, but lo and behold it looks like he could be a 2nd round pick anyways.

Agreed.

-9fA

You are right. You really dont understand.
We have so many holes on our team... In my completely worthless opinion, we should try to fill as many holes OTHER than qb in the draft. We should get a CB, OLB, pass rusher, 2nd RB, etc. Then we can trade for a qb once the CBA is done (my vote is for Josh Johnson) If we fix all the other holes this year, even if our QB fails epically, then we'll be in good position to move up and draft a QB next year... Come on admit it, you want us to sell the farm and get Andrew Luck next year...
No way. There's too many good 2nd round quarterback prospects to come away empty handed and adding a 1st rounder next year does absolutely nothing if another team is picking 1st and wants Luck.
  • mike
  • Veteran

Agreed.

-9fA

I see what you did there .

No real response, so instead it's the other person who doesn't understand.

So you're saying that Locker would have performed at the combine/pro days like the QB he was hyped to be, had he declared early?

Sure luck has a lot of hype, same with mccoy and every other prospect of the past. But reality sinks in if Luck only throws 50% at the combine, looks inaccurate at the senior bowl, then has an average pro day. (Highly unlikely of course but you never know)

Point being, they can lose hype whether they have a good season or not. Locker had a mediocre season then just reinforced his inaccuracy after that.(although I hear he had a decent pro-day). He declares early and somehow he's more accurate at the combine? Unlikely.
[ Edited by mike on Apr 10, 2011 at 3:11 PM ]
I guess I have to show another example for you.
Cody Pickett would of been a 1st round pick if he came out early as a Jr but stayed for his Sr year. Had a terrible Sr year which caused him to be drafted in the 7th round.
So it was the bad Sr year that caused him to slip to the 7th round not the horrible performance at the combine and at the Sr bowl.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/huskies/2014592139_pickett25.html
Originally posted by mike:

Agreed.

-9fA

So you're saying that Locker would have performed at the combine/pro days like the QB he was hyped to be, had he declared early?

Sure luck has a lot of hype, same with mccoy and every other prospect of the past. But reality sinks in if Luck only throws 50% at the combine, looks inaccurate at the senior bowl, then has an average pro day. (Highly unlikely of course but you never know)

Point being, they can lose hype whether they have a good season or not. Locker had a mediocre season then just reinforced his inaccuracy after that.(although I hear he had a decent pro-day). He declares early and somehow he's more accurate at the combine? Unlikely.

No. Another year at school, in Luck's case surrounded by inferior talent and having lost his HC. Possible injury, poorer team results.

And both opposing D's and talent evaluators have that much longer to look at them. Hence the shine wears off.

depends on if we have a really good player fall to 45

Agreed.

-9fA

No. Another year at school, in Luck's case surrounded by inferior talent and having lost his HC. Possible injury, poorer team results.

And both opposing D's and talent evaluators have that much longer to look at them. Hence the shine wears off.

How did Sam Bradford do after his Sr year was cut short due to inj. and his team went down the toilet.

Agreed.

-9fA

How did Sam Bradford do after his Sr year was cut short due to inj. and his team went down the toilet.

Thats the way to do it. One example proves everything. So if it happened once, it will always happen.
Originally posted by Digger:
Normally I would say 100% yes, but I'd be cautious this year as the NFL has said teams can trade future draft picks "at their own risk". It's unlikely, but there is a possibility that there isn't even a draft next year.

Having said that, in any other draft you take that deal in a second and I would still consider it this year if our guys are gone by that point.

then the niners presumably, with no draft, can go out and sign Luck--I'd give up the 2011 #1 pick if the Niners could sign Luck
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
easy yes.
Share 49ersWebzone