LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 244 users in the forums

Krizay mock 3.0

• krizay
  • Veteran
1st round A: Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU
1st Round B: Christian Ponder- QB, FSU (traded 2nd rounder and 6th rounder in 2011 and 1st rounder in 2012, we get their 4th round pick in 2011 to move up to #28 with the Patriots who continue to compile future draft picks.)
3rd Round: Jerrell Powe- DT, Ole Miss
4th round (a): Curtis Marsh, CB, Utah St.
4th round (b): K.J. Wright, OLB, Miss. St.
4th round (c): Greg Romeus, DE/OLB, Pitt
5th round(a):Mark Herzlich, OLB, BC
5th round(b) Dane Sanzenbacher, WR, Ohio St.
6th round (a): traded to NE
6th round (b): Chris Neild, DT, WVU
7th round (a): Eric Hagg, FS, Nebraska
7th round (b)(comp):Dione Lewis, RB, Pitt or Brandon Saine, RB, Ohio St

Top priority free agents
#1 Chris Dieker, QB, Southern Illinois
#2 Chase Beeler, C, Stanford
#3 Daniel Kilgore, OG, App St.
you gotta think they're drafting at least one guy from stanford
Did you just trade our 1st round pick next year knowing that 2011 is going to be a huge transition year (uncertainty at starting QB, zero clarity around what free agents we might lose and can sign and of course, little time for players to learn entirely new offensive/defensive systems)?

I like Ponder, but to give up what can very likely be an early 1st rounder (primarly due to circumstances beyond our team's control) for him seems like a really dangerous thing to do.

I'd rather trade our 2013 1st rounder to move up for a chance at Andrew Luck (knowing there will be less team/league uncertainty then) as opposed to messing with the 2012 draft.
[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Apr 7, 2011 at 11:10 AM ]
You sure are putting a whole lot into acquiring Christian Ponder.
If there is anyway we can get both Peterson and Ponder that doesn't involve foregoing our 1st rounder for next year, I'm all for it.

I really don't see it happening.

Edit... Let me say this though: I would be willing to do what you've suggested provided that we were darn near close to 100% sure that Ponder would be a franchise guy (I think he will be but I'm no pro scout!). If he's a franchise QB, I'd trade a lot to get him but we have to be really sure.
[ Edited by ghostrider on Apr 7, 2011 at 11:20 AM ]
if god told me that ponder would be a multiple sb winning qb and a hall of famer then i'll be down to trade next yrs 1st for him, but see as thats not gonna happen no way would i want us trading away our 1st next yr for ponder
  • TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Did you just trade our 1st round pick next year knowing that 2011 is going to be a huge transition year (uncertainty at starting QB, zero clarity around what free agents we might lose and can sign and of course, little time for players to learn entirely new offensive/defensive systems)?

I like Ponder, but to give up what can very likely be an early 1st rounder (primarly due to circumstances beyond our team's control) for him seems like a really dangerous thing to do.

I'd rather trade our 2013 1st rounder to move up for a chance at Andrew Luck (knowing there will be less team/league uncertainty then) as opposed to messing with the 2012 draft.

This, I think we can wait and get Dalton right where. I'm always opposed to trading a future 1st unless the team is one player away. We are not.
If Ponder goes in the first round I think he goes before the Patriots pick, like maybe the Seachickens. Then again, how is JH/Baalke draft board stacked is Ponder of Kaep higher? If Kaep is higher, hope the Seachickens don't get wind of it and then snatch him. Although unlikely, wouldn't be surprised if Carrol hears JH thinks highly of him and since they need a QB also, they take him as it would kill two birds with one stone.
Originally posted by WildBill:
If Ponder goes in the first round I think he goes before the Patriots pick, like maybe the Seachickens. Then again, how is JH/Baalke draft board stacked is Ponder of Kaep higher? If Kaep is higher, hope the Seachickens don't get wind of it and then snatch him. Although unlikely, wouldn't be surprised if Carrol hears JH thinks highly of him and since they need a QB also, they take him as it would kill two birds with one stone.

That's a great question. I think a lot of people believe that JH runs a pure pro-style offense (WCO-based), which would mean guys like Ponder would be an absolutely perfect fit. But if you watch Stanford closely, they run a very strange combination of both pro-style sets (basic WCO principles) and cutting edge college sets (everything from a zone-read option to and actual run-option to Chris Ault's pistol offense).

Harbaugh incorporates a lot of different elements in to his system, which requires his QB to not only be REALLY smart, but to also be REALLY athletic (not just scrambling ability, but to be an actual threat to take off and run and do damage in the open field). Go back and look at what he did with Josh Johnson and of course Andrew Luck, and you'll see a variety of looks and formations, all designed to confuse the defense and take advantage of the unique skills his QB possessed.

Looking at from that perspective, I would think both Ponder and Cap are capable, but that KP would have the advantage in terms of being more of a threat out of the zone-option read and pistol sets. With Ponder being more of a prototypical pro-style QB, I would give the slight edge to Kap given the uniqueness of JH's offensive system.
Might aswell draft Ponder at 7 if you giving that much up for him.

Btw, I don't think Peterson will be sitting there at #7. If he is still there at #6, I could see any number of teams trading up with Cleveland to get their hands on him, and we all know the Browns could use the extra picks...so I just can't see that happening for us.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by lamontb:
Might aswell draft Ponder at 7 if you giving that much up for him.

Yeah, either give them a 2nd and what ever else was said or a first in 2012, but not both.
I like Ponder, and would move up if can, but would not mortgage the future. Would rather get Kaep in the 2nd (which probably would require us to move up-but not cost us as much)

Much has been made of Kaep's delivery by the media, but Josh Johnson said something interesting in the articles posted on the webzone, and I quote..

"For me, as a quarterback, one of the things he always told me is that he just wanted me to get completions," Johnson continued. "He'd say, 'I don't really care how the ball looks. I just want you to get completions and move the ball down the field.' Some coaches want you to do it a certain way, but he just wants you to get the job done."

The biggest issue then is Kaep getting used to playing under center, which he will have to do at least half the time.

Anyway, this has nothing to do with the niners thinking but my opinion...
The 7th pick will not be wasted on a QB, may trade back into the first round (some where between Packers or Patriots pick or Carolina-Denver in second) or move up in the second for the right price, but not motgage the future.

Unless Cam drops that far he and Gabbert are not on my radar-so the choices would be Ponder, Kaep and if can't get them then Stanzi in the Third (although depending on how the QBs move on draft day, may have to move up also.
Absolutely hate this mock. Want to avoid the walking injury at all costs, much less trade up for him....

Also do not believe we should use nearly an entire draft on our defense. If we are going to trade up for a QB I prefer it to be in 2012 when it will actually be worth the picks we lose.
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WINiner:
Absolutely hate this mock. Want to avoid the walking injury at all costs, much less trade up for him....

Also do not believe we should use nearly an entire draft on our defense. If we are going to trade up for a QB I prefer it to be in 2012 when it will actually be worth the picks we lose.

exactly, I'd rather trade the 2nd for a 1st next year and roll the dice with a FA qb.
Share 49ersWebzone