LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 312 users in the forums

who are some of the most respected draft guru's?

I'm trying to keep track of various "Big Boards" so i can come up with an average rank of each player in the draft.

So far I have big boards from nfldraftscout.com, scout.com, Mike Mayock, Mel Kiper, Wes Bunting, and Scott Wright (nfldraftcountdown.com). I would like to include Todd McShay and some others. Who are some others that are respected in the business?

Here is a sample of the top 10 players. The Avg rank is the average of all the "Big Boards" that I have.

Avg Rank Player
1.75 Patrick Peterson
3.63 Von Miller
4.00 Marcell Dareus
4.25 A.J. Green
5.75 Nick Fairley
6.50 Robert Quinn
7.00 Da'Quan Bowers
8.13 Julio Jones
12.00 Prince Amukamara
12.50 Blaine Gabbert

After the draft and a couple years down the road I like to see who ranked who where and see where these players were actually drafted at. Yes I'm a draft nerd...
MadDog and OTC
I thought there was a website that already does this. I think a more accurate way of evaluating these guys is by looking at their big boards/player rankings and see if the guys they have rated as 1st round talent are actually drafted in the 1st round or whatever round dictated by their big boards. I don't really care about if they have AJ Green going to the Bengals and he ends up being drafted by the Redskins. I see more of a problem when they have a guy ranked as 1st rounders that they aren't drafted til the 3rd round. Or a guy they have rated as a low 2nd rounder is picked in the 1st.
Originally posted by lamontb:
I thought there was a website that already does this. I think a more accurate way of evaluating these guys is by looking at their big boards/player rankings and see if the guys they have rated as 1st round talent are actually drafted in the 1st round or whatever round dictated by their big boards. I don't really care about if they have AJ Green going to the Bengals and he ends up being drafted by the Redskins. I see more of a problem when they have a guy ranked as 1st rounders that they aren't drafted til the 3rd round. Or a guy they have rated as a low 2nd rounder is picked in the 1st.

This is what I will be showing. I don't care who drafts the player but where each draft expert has the player ranked and where they are actually drafted at.

For instance last year:

Tyson Aluala was selected at #10 and my average rankings had him as #53

Kareem Jackson was selected at #20 and my average rankings had him as #34

TJ Ward was selected at #38 and my average rankings had him as #111

Also out of the first 32 selections only 3 didn't have a first rd grade on them (Aluala-53, Jackson-34, P. Robinson-39)

Other notables:
Mike Mayock and Todd mcShay had Gerald McCoy ranked higher than Suh.
Scott Wright had Sam Bradford ranked lower (11th) than Jimmy Clausen (10th)

Every player we drafted besides Anthony Davis was ranked higher than the position we drafted them:

Anthony Davis drafted 11 ranked 20
Mike Iupati drafted 17 ranked 17
Taylor Mays drafted 49 ranked 22
Navorro Bowman drafted 91 ranked 57
Anthony Dixon drafted 173 ranked 114
Nate Byham drafted 182 ranked 191
Kyle Williams drafted 206 ranked 218
Phillip Adams drafted 224 not even ranked... nfldraftscout.com didn't even have him in top 500.
Originally posted by miked1978:
Originally posted by lamontb:

This is what I will be showing. I don't care who drafts the player but where each draft expert has the player ranked and where they are actually drafted at.

For instance last year:

Tyson Aluala was selected at #10 and my average rankings had him as #53

Kareem Jackson was selected at #20 and my average rankings had him as #34

TJ Ward was selected at #38 and my average rankings had him as #111

Also out of the first 32 selections only 3 didn't have a first rd grade on them (Aluala-53, Jackson-34, P. Robinson-39)

Other notables:
Mike Mayock and Todd mcShay had Gerald McCoy ranked higher than Suh.
Scott Wright had Sam Bradford ranked lower (11th) than Jimmy Clausen (10th)

Every player we drafted besides Anthony Davis was ranked higher than the position we drafted them:

Anthony Davis drafted 11 ranked 20
Mike Iupati drafted 17 ranked 17
Taylor Mays drafted 49 ranked 22
Navorro Bowman drafted 91 ranked 57
Anthony Dixon drafted 173 ranked 114
Nate Byham drafted 182 ranked 191
Kyle Williams drafted 206 ranked 218
Phillip Adams drafted 224 not even ranked... nfldraftscout.com didn't even have him in top 500.

good stuff. Make sure you post up these findings every year. I'm surprised to see Mays was ranked so highly. Last year for some reason it seemed like Mayock and McShay were rating Mccoy higher than Suh just to be different. Though I respect each guys analysis. I just didn't see it.
[ Edited by lamontb on Apr 7, 2011 at 9:21 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone