LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 286 users in the forums

49ers Talk on NFL Live today...4/5/11

• FL9er
  • Veteran
Did anyone see it? They were talking about the best fit for draftees and team. Darren Woodson mentioned Prince Amukamara as the 7th pick. Mentioned how athletically he reminded him of Champ Bailey when he was turning pro. That's high praise. Todd McShay mentioned how there's a chance Patrick Peterson could be on the board at 7, which everyone universally agreed would be the steal of the draft.

What caught my attention was the graphic they displayed regarding the 49ers pass defense. Since the Nolan era-'05, no team has given more pass yards a game, and last season the 49ers ranked 30th, 32nd, and 31st in completion percentage, yds per reception, and quarterback rating on passes of 30-40 yds/more.

I don't know if that's due to the s**tty coaches, s**tty CBs, s**tty safeties, or s**tty pass rushers.
Originally posted by FL9er:
Did anyone see it? They were talking about the best fit for draftees and team. Darren Woodson mentioned Prince Amukamara as the 7th pick. Mentioned how athletically he reminded him of Champ Bailey when he was turning pro. That's high praise. Todd McShay mentioned how there's a chance Patrick Peterson could be on the board at 7, which everyone universally agreed would be the steal of the draft.

What caught my attention was the graphic they displayed regarding the 49ers pass defense. Since the Nolan era-'05, no team has given more pass yards a game, and last season the 49ers ranked 30th, 32nd, and 31st in completion percentage, yds per reception, and quarterback rating on passes of 30-40 yds/more.

I don't know if that's due to the s**tty coaches, s**tty CBs, s**tty safeties, or s**tty pass rushers.

Don't see Patrick Peterson falling to us, and at least for now think Prince will be the pick. Kid is just a student of the game and this "he's peaked in his development" crap is just nonsense. He'll be a rookie.. he's only going to get better.

I'm so tired of people taking certain players that are obviously NFL-ready and knocking them down by trying to say "they're so polished this is as good as they're going to get." Ridiculous. Learning all the various nuances of the pro game, and defensive schematics, are just a couple of things right off the bat that you get entering into the NFL.
Originally posted by FL9er:

I saw that segment too. Why not just simplify it, and call it s**tty!
I will be one to say this, Our DC and HC's have been s**tty.

This damn prevent defense, playing scared every play.

Hopefully Fangio will not play like that. Thank god Sing/Manusky are gone.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:

This is what was so frustrating for me when our defense was on the field. Allowing a WR to be open and then 2-3 players going in for a tackle...never did we attack the ball and try to get picks. It was depressing
Originally posted by irishluder:

This is what was so frustrating for me when our defense was on the field. Allowing a WR to be open and then 2-3 players going in for a tackle...never did we attack the ball and try to get picks. It was depressing

They never had a lead to allow for gambles on defense. And when we did gamble, we got smoked
it has to do with the players and the coaches.

1. look at a guy like parys haralson. what else can the coaches do with him? he's decent against the run but the coaches send him after the QB and he's just gobbled up by whoever.

2. look at nate clements. you would think he is great at bump and run, but there were quite a few times where he just whiffs on the bump and gets destroyed.

however:

1. you can't have our guys playing 10 yards off.... come on man. i would rather get beat on one 60 yard play than have a team dink and dunk us on a 12 play drive and score anyways.

2. no overload blitzes? how many times have we seen our team REALLY blitz? i mean it barely ever happens. sometimes i was surprised if we sent 5 total people after the qb.... including the d-line! horrible way to run the 3-4

3. too much zone. alright, i get that nate and shawnte aren't the best but going back to #1, what's the different? we got dinked and dunked time and again down the field.

4. patrick willis needs to be sent on more destroy the qb missions. doesn't it seem like everytime he blitzes he gets to the qb or really disrupts the play? i know we need to have a guy like him in the defensive backfield to track down runners/receivers but we just don't use him to get after the qb often enough

anyways, our D has been absolutely awful against the pass and a lot of people don't bring it up because our offense has been garbage.
Originally posted by frenchmov:
it has to do with the players and the coaches.

1. look at a guy like parys haralson. what else can the coaches do with him? he's decent against the run but the coaches send him after the QB and he's just gobbled up by whoever.

2. look at nate clements. you would think he is great at bump and run, but there were quite a few times where he just whiffs on the bump and gets destroyed.

however:

1. you can't have our guys playing 10 yards off.... come on man. i would rather get beat on one 60 yard play than have a team dink and dunk us on a 12 play drive and score anyways.

2. no overload blitzes? how many times have we seen our team REALLY blitz? i mean it barely ever happens. sometimes i was surprised if we sent 5 total people after the qb.... including the d-line! horrible way to run the 3-4

3. too much zone. alright, i get that nate and shawnte aren't the best but going back to #1, what's the different? we got dinked and dunked time and again down the field.

4. patrick willis needs to be sent on more destroy the qb missions. doesn't it seem like everytime he blitzes he gets to the qb or really disrupts the play? i know we need to have a guy like him in the defensive backfield to track down runners/receivers but we just don't use him to get after the qb often enough

anyways, our D has been absolutely awful against the pass and a lot of people don't bring it up because our offense has been garbage.

Parys Harlson is terrible against the run and overrated against the pass

Our CBs are better man to man then zone, so ofcourse we run a zone... Makes no sense to me!!!! Our best games have come against the Cards where we man up the WRs with help deep, yet we never play any other team that way

And we do need more blitzes
  • dmax
  • Veteran

truth....plus more truth
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by irishluder:

They never had a lead to allow for gambles on defense. And when we did gamble, we got smoked

We played 10 yards off the line when the opposing team needed 4yds for a 1st on 3rd down.

Share 49ersWebzone