LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 267 users in the forums

Rank your 3-4 DE's...

Everyone is talking about increasing our pass rush by upgrading the OLB position. I agree that that is the best way to create an effective pass rush in the 3-4, but if we can't get an OLB worthy of the #7 pick I think we could look at increasing or pass rush by upgrading the DE position across from Justin Smith. Isaac Sopoaga is above average against the run, but doesn't provide much of a pass rush. I would like to upgrade the position without compromising our rush defense.
So post your top 4 or 5 3-4 DE's for our first round pick.
At the number 7 pick Id say Cameron Jordan and JJ Watt. Both seem to have the prototypical 3-4 DE qualities. I think Dareus and Fairley could do it but it would be a waste of their talents. I think they would be best suited in a 4-3 where they could wreak havoc up the middle.
I think Cameron Heyward and Allen Bailey are 2 more potentially very good 3-4 DE's that could possibly be there for our second pick.
Dareus could play nose or defensive end in the 3-4 i think. But the rest of the guys that were mentioned before are on my list, too.
Later you could add Christian Ballard or Ian Williams in round 2 or Lawrence Guy and Terrell McClain in round 3.
[ Edited by stever on Apr 4, 2011 at 10:14 AM ]
we have bigger needs right now maybe next year
First thought is I doubt we pick a 3-4 DE in the 1st three rounds because it is so far down on the needs list. If I had to rank them it would be something like this.

Potential Targets at 7:
Marcell Dareus Alabama
Nick Fairley Auburn

Probably will be gone by 45 (would have to trade back form 7 or up from 45)
J.J. Watt Wisconsin
Cameron Jordan California
Stephen Paea Oregon St.
Muhammad Wilkerson Temple
Cameron Heyward Ohio St.

Potential Targets at 45:
Allen Bailey Miami (FL)
Christian Ballard Iowa
Drake Nevis L.S.U.
Jurrell Casey USC

Potential Targets at 76 and maybe 108th overall:
Terrell McClain South Florida
Jarvis Jenkins Clemson
Lawrence Guy Arizona St.
I'm on the jordan at 7 bandwagon
I don't understand why people are so quick to replace Sopoaga. The dude does what he is meant to do fairly well. If anything I would like to continue to develop Mcdonald as a pass rush replacement for Sopoaga on pass rush downs. No need to draft a 3-4 end anywhere near the top half of the draft. OLB is such a bigger problem that I would rather see 2 OLB's drafted before a 3-4 end.
I sense that the DL pick in this draft (somewhere between Rounds 3-6) will be a NT, not a DE. They won't pay the big bucks for Franklin that some other team will offer, so he will not return. RJF can't hold the nose all by himself for an entire game, and Sopoaga was not stout at NT in his previous duty there. Tomsula saw Sopoaga's talents and moved him to DE, where he will stay. If the club had a really effective pass-rusher at OLB, coming in behind Sopoaga, ICE would be one hell of a "blocker" to allow that OLB to turn the corner on the pass rush. Let's get the quick-twitch guy with both speed and power passrush moves at OLB. Sign a few UDFA DE's for training camp reps.

Sorry, long answer to a short question. Just wanted to explain the logic.
Dareus is easily the cream of the crop. Fairley is risky and Jordan is relentless and is going to be a Justin Smith clone. Watt will be solid, but I think he's a notch below the others until he develops more power in his game, which his frame could surely support.
Considering our only DLs under contract are

95 Ricky Jean-Francois NT
94 Justin Smith DE
90 Isaac Sopoaga DE
63 Will Tukuafu DE

I am one who believes we need to draft DL

• mod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by solidg2000:
Considering our only DLs under contract are

95 Ricky Jean-Francois NT
94 Justin Smith DE
90 Isaac Sopoaga DE
63 Will Tukuafu DE

I am one who believes we need to draft DL

Not a fan of Sopoaga, I like Tukuafu as a back up DE and I believe RJF can be a good DT. DE is our biggest need on the line.
God, if the niners take Cam Jordan at 7 they've gone mad.
jj watt rules, trading down and getting him is cool with me.
Originally posted by walker807:
I don't understand why people are so quick to replace Sopoaga. The dude does what he is meant to do fairly well. If anything I would like to continue to develop Mcdonald as a pass rush replacement for Sopoaga on pass rush downs. No need to draft a 3-4 end anywhere near the top half of the draft. OLB is such a bigger problem that I would rather see 2 OLB's drafted before a 3-4 end.

Seems like Sop improves each year. I would agree that 2 OLB s is a good idea and a NT as well. Then an additional DE. So we need lots of Defensive help including two CBs. That is six players minimum on the defensive side, plus quality backups.
Originally posted by Ninefan56:
Originally posted by walker807:

Seems like Sop improves each year. I would agree that 2 OLB s is a good idea and a NT as well. Then an additional DE. So we need lots of Defensive help including two CBs. That is six players minimum on the defensive side, plus quality backups.

Plus 2 Qb's, 1 rb, 1 fb and please a rg! possible center depends on baas! we could use upgrades across the board besides tightend and mike!
Share 49ersWebzone