There are 72 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Possible Trading Partners

Originally posted by D-Money:
Trading up: I like us trading up with the browns one pick to ensure we get Peterson if he's still available. I actually like Baalke taking initiative like he did last year with A.Davis. Give up a 5th or 6th rounder to move up one spot and make sure no team can jump in front. If it means you get the player you want , you do it.
Trading down: #7 and a 4th to NE for #17 and #28. Everyone says NE never moves up, while I think they will if AJ Green is on the board. I like the idea of having two first round picks and this is a trade I can see happening.

Trading up just one spot in the top 10 will cost the 49ers at least a 4th round pick.

There is no reason to trade up one spot with the Browns. If Peterson is available at 6, the Browns will most likely take him themselves. If we are serious about trading up to get Peterson, we would have to probably trade up to #4 with the Bengals and that would cost us a 3rd and 4th round pick. I wouldn't be mad if Baalke made this move. You get a great prospect at a top position of need. A 3rd and 4th round draft pick doesn't always turn out to be a great pick.
[ Edited by DynastyPart2 on Apr 5, 2011 at 6:36 AM ]
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I think the Redskins, Vikes and Dolphins may end up in a bidding war for a QB, if Gabbert or Newton slides (unlikely). The Niners could drop down those handful of spots and pick up a Cam Jordan, who I think they are very high on, or select Price, if he is on the board, or pick Phil Taylor, who would solve their need for a ten-year toilet clogget at NT (I'd have no problem with this idea).

It is too bad that teams below us are not in desperate need for a WR, except for the Rams, who probably would not deal with us. More than likely, Jones and possibly Green could still be on the board at number 7.

In a trade up back into the first round, the Jets might be suitors at number 30. They lack a second rounder, and might be willing to drop back 15 selections to select a WR, OL, RB or another position of need.

MadDog. Would you make this trade if Dareus does not go 1. Switch our 1st and 2nd picks with Denver, and give Denver a 4th this year and 2nd next year. We take Dareus at 2, and QB Dalton with the 4th pick round 2.
  • buck
  • Veteran
The status of Jake Locker has me confused. Most seem to think that he will go in the first round. Others, only a few, think that he will drop out of the first round.

I do not think that we will want him. So if he is on the board, it is possible that Washington would be willing to trade-up for him before he could be taken by Tennessee. So we swap firsts with Washington and pick up their second round pick (pick #41).

We could make a trade and get another second round pick. If we could still get Prince, and make the trade, I would make the trade. I assume, or want to assume,, that Dallas will pick the top offensive tackle.

So, we get a top corner, and extra second as ammunition to trade back into the first to select a quarterback.
[ Edited by buck on Apr 6, 2011 at 8:13 AM ]
Originally posted by buck:
The status of Jake Locker has me confused. Most seem to think that he will go in the first round. Others, only a few, think that he will drop out of the first round.

I do not think that we will want him. So if he is on the board, it is possible that Washington would be willing to trade-up for him before he could be taken by Tennessee. So we swap firsts with Washington and pick up their second round pick (pick 341).

We could make a trade and get another second round pick. If we could still get Prince, and make the trade, I would make the trade. I assume, or want to assume,, that Dallas will pick the top offensive tackle.

So, we get a top corner, and extra second as ammunition to trade back into the first to select a quarterback.

Why would Washington trade up to get Locker?They can trade down and get him. I also don't see Washington trading up at all. They are already missing a 3rd (McNabb) and other pick i believe.
Originally posted by submoa:
I think the Redskins, Vikes and Dolphins may end up in a bidding war for a QB, if Gabbert or Newton slides (unlikely). The Niners could drop down those handful of spots and pick up a Cam Jordan, who I think they are very high on, or select Price, if he is on the board, or pick Phil Taylor, who would solve their need for a ten-year toilet clogget at NT (I'd have no problem with this idea).

It is too bad that teams below us are not in desperate need for a WR, except for the Rams, who probably would not deal with us. More than likely, Jones and possibly Green could still be on the board at number 7.

In a trade up back into the first round, the Jets might be suitors at number 30. They lack a second rounder, and might be willing to drop back 15 selections to select a WR, OL, RB or another position of need.

You think GB and CN are going in the top 6?

I'd be very surprised if they both fell past Arizona.
Originally posted by fortyyearniner:

MadDog. Would you make this trade if Dareus does not go 1. Switch our 1st and 2nd picks with Denver, and give Denver a 4th this year and 2nd next year. We take Dareus at 2, and QB Dalton with the 4th pick round 2.

Can't see us moving up from seven to two in order to draft a DL. A move that dramatic would only be for a QB. Simply too costly. But, I do like Dareus, and think he will be a terrific pro.
I think Baalke/Harbaugh will make some moves...up or down, hard to say right now. I do think some teams will be interested in moving up to the #7 spot to get the player they want...that could be worthwhile. If Kaepernick's the QB they want early, either trading well down in the 1st or trading up in the 2nd should get him. Dalton's stock has risen, too...and he could also be the apple in Harbaugh's eye. He could be there at #45, but if there's a 1st rd run on QB's, it could be a gamble. With 12 picks going in, Baalke/Harbaugh have plenty to work with, so suffice it to say this could be one of the more dynamic drafts we've seen in years. All kinds of scenarios could develop, given it doesn't look promising whatsoever the CBA will be any closer to reality.
Here's GBN Take....The other teams move's are intriguing.
http://www.gbnreport.com/2011projection.html
I think we would ask somthing more this year from minni, but thats mocks for ya
[ Edited by highway49 on Apr 6, 2011 at 7:46 AM ]
If Von Miller or Patrick Peterson are not available at #7, which they probably won't be, then the 49ers should trade their 7th pick to Cincinnati for their first round pick in the 2012 draft.

With no QB, the odds are good that Cincinnati will be back in the bottom 5 again next year. With that extra pick, the 49ers could make a move for Luck.

If Luck is the prospect that I think he is, then the 49ers should be doing everything in their power to get him. (Harbaugh will know first hand whether Luck is worth all of that trouble.)
Originally posted by 9ers4u:
We need to find a trade back partner that has the possibility of being a top five drafting team next year. A type of deal where we give them our 1st this year and we get their 1st this year and next.

Then we can get that QB from Stanford

So we can spend yet another year looking forward to "next year"? One more year of hoping we actually fill some needs that have been there for years? One more year of thinking "next year" might be the playoffs? No thanks.

Remember a couple of years ago when we had huge needs on the O-line and pass rusher, yet the 49ers traded their 2nd round pick for a 1st rounder the next year? I thought that was one of the worst moves this team has made in years - especially with them telling fans they had a "win now" mentality. So what happened there? We passed on RT Phil Loadholdt - who went on to start 16 games for the Vikings, and really solidified the right side of their line. While we deal with a revolving door at RT and a huge hole in our Oline for that year. We then draft Anthony Davis - and the line struggles a bit with two rookies starting. So because of that trade, our Oline struggles for TWO more seasons when it could have been fixed immediatly. Athony Davis almos got paid a lot more being a top 15 pick, than Loadholt as a 2nd round pick - so it wasn't a smart salary cap move either.

Bottom line, we are not the Patriots. We have holes that need to be filled, and don't have the luxury of trading away picks looking to restock year after year.
Originally posted by RDB4216:
We need to find a trade back partner that has the possibility of being a top five drafting team next year. A type of deal where we give them our 1st this year and we get their 1st this year and next.

So we can spend yet another year looking forward to "next year"? One more year of hoping we actually fill some needs that have been there for years? One more year of thinking "next year" might be the playoffs? No thanks.

Remember a couple of years ago when we had huge needs on the O-line and pass rusher, yet the 49ers traded their 2nd round pick for a 1st rounder the next year? I thought that was one of the worst moves this team has made in years - especially with them telling fans they had a "win now" mentality. So what happened there? We passed on RT Phil Loadholdt - who went on to start 16 games for the Vikings, and really solidified the right side of their line. While we deal with a revolving door at RT and a huge hole in our Oline for that year. We then draft Anthony Davis - and the line struggles a bit with two rookies starting. So because of that trade, our Oline struggles for TWO more seasons when it could have been fixed immediatly. Athony Davis almos got paid a lot more being a top 15 pick, than Loadholt as a 2nd round pick - so it wasn't a smart salary cap move either.

Bottom line, we are not the Patriots. We have holes that need to be filled, and don't have the luxury of trading away picks looking to restock year after year.

QB trumps all other positions.

QB is the position the 49ers are most in need of. If they get a franchise QB, then they can work on the rest of the positions for the next 10 to 15 years.

In 2007 the Atlanta falcons had a 4-12 record. To say they had needs at other positions would be an understatement. In the 2008 draft they chose Matt Ryan and that very year they went 11-5 and made the play-offs. They are 33-15 since that pick.

If waiting one more year means we get the next Peyton Manning, then I have no problem waiting. (The question is: Does Harbaugh think that Luck is the next "great QB"?)
Originally posted by Dascow:

QB is the position the 49ers are most in need of. If they get a franchise QB, then they can work on the rest of the positions for the next 10 to 15 years.

In 2007 the Atlanta falcons had a 4-12 record. To say they had needs at other positions would be an understatement. In the 2008 draft they chose Matt Ryan and that very year they went 11-5 and made the play-offs. They are 33-15 since that pick.

If waiting one more year means we get the next Peyton Manning, then I have no problem waiting. (The question is: Does Harbaugh think that Luck is the next "great QB"?)

i wholeheartedly agree with you....one year is little in the overall schemes if you an fill the most important position on the team for a dcade...

do you think john brodie would allow luck to wear #12 for the niners?
Originally posted by hofer36:
Originally posted by Dascow:

i wholeheartedly agree with you....one year is little in the overall schemes if you an fill the most important position on the team for a dcade...

do you think john brodie would allow luck to wear #12 for the niners?

Especially a year in which the Niners are probably more at a disadvantage than any team when all is said and done, and expectations are low despite hiring the hot young coaching candidate.

I have said it before and will again. I would love to see Baalke set the team up to make a serious push for either Luck or Barkley next year. Grab a guy like Stanzi in the 3rd, and maybe a late rounder like McElroy in the 7th. Sign a journeyman to a 4 year deal. Teach him the offense this year so he can assist developing the franchise guy the following year. Draft other positions of need higher this year setting the team up for success under the new QB. Shoot I would be happy with a draft that looked like...

high 2nd, original 3rd, 4th, 4th, 5th, 6th, 6th, 7th, 7th, 7th, 7th.

If it meant we were planning for next year and targeting Luck. Barring injury I think he is going to be a special player in the nfl.

Do I think it happens? I think it's unlikely. I would love it if we did though.