There are 128 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Rookie QB's & Their Pro Counterparts

Well hello Draft War Room. I don't come around these parts much. Greetings.

So I was wondering if you guys wanted to take a stab at something... who are this year's rookie QB's pro-counterparts? As in, who do you think this year's rookies will turn into? Do you think Gabbert is going to be Phillip Rivers? Chad Pennington? Alex Smith?

We've got...

Gabbert
Newton
Mallett
Locker
Ponder
Kaepernick
Dalton

So draftniks... have at it. Who is who?
[ Edited by NickSh49 on Apr 2, 2011 at 4:44 PM ]
I'll probably be wrong, but wth, sounds like fun

Gabbert-Todd Marinovich
Newton-Mike Vick (pre eagles)
Mallett-Jeff George
Locker-hardest to figure don't know
Ponder- Matt Hasslebeck
Kaepernick-Steve Young (only if he ends up with the Niners though
Dalton- Matt Cassel or Orton
[ Edited by WildBill on Apr 3, 2011 at 7:44 PM ]
Gabbert - Alex Smith
Both tall athletic QBs from spread systems. Both graded very highly as prospects although this grade does not come without question marks.

Newton - Ben Roethlisberger
Big, strong, tough to bring down QB. Both have big arms and excel at the deep ball. Both have had their share of issues off the field, but have both been champions on the field

Mallett - Drew Bledsoe Lite
Big, immobile, cannon armed. At least Bledsoe had his act together though. I don't expect Mallett to accomplish as much in his career as Bledsoe, hence the 'Lite".

Locker - No comparison
A unique individual here.

Ponder - Drew Stanton
Both were megastars on their college campuses. Both were hyped up for Heisman campaigns but failed to deliver the numbers to match. Both move around well. Both have had their bouts with injuries.

Kaepernick - Matt Jones
Both tall QBs that run extremely well. Like Jones Kaepernick may be best suited for something other than QB

Dalton - Charlie Frye

Frye was a college hero for mid-major Akron who didn't have all the measurables but was thought to be a leader and a winner. Both face long odds at becoming pro starters.

Did I get it right?

Edit: Like the above poster I have a hard time figuring out Locker. If I had to say someone I'd say Steve McNair.
[ Edited by 49erFaithful6 on Apr 3, 2011 at 7:07 AM ]
I think Newton could resemble Cullpepper if he had a Moss to just lob it up too and a Robert Smith to hand off too. I definately think hell end up a viking and hopefully the vikes will over pay to move up to 7 to get him. One of the best case scenarios IMO
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Like I mentioned in the Bandwagon thread, I think Locker compare a lot to Jeff Garcia. Both are highly accurate outside the pocket, but struggle with accuracy inside the pocket.
Gabbert - Kerry Collins
Newton - Ben Roethlisburger
Mallett - Jeff George
Locker - John Lynch
Ponder - Chad Pennington
Kaepernick - Randy Johnson and Steve Young merged
Dalton - Kyle Orton
Stanzi - Jim Harbaugh

Gabbert: I don't buy the Alex comparisions. Joe Flacco is probally the closest thing to him.

Newton: Donovan McNabb- Vince Young. If he gets the right coach he'll be fine, but maturity is a issue here. Could go either way, and you'll know very quickly which way it's going to go.

Ponder: Brad Johnson

Mallett: Kerry Collins He's a statue, immature, but he'll have a long bumpy career with high and lows.

Jake Locker: Steve Young All the talent in the world, but alot of coaching up to do. It's going to take the right circumstances for him to be successful, but if he does fall into that spot he could be great.

Kaepernick: Randall Cunningham Not as explosive as him, but he's got the rocket arm with the long release that's going to bite him in the @ss at times.

I really haven't paid that much attention to Dalton.
Fun idea, let me take a shot at it:

(Caveat: this is just who they remind me of on the field, not who I think they'll become in the pro's.)

Newton: Roethlisberger/V. Young
Gabbert: Toughest of the bunch, I really can't come up with a good comp.
Ponder: M. Sanchez/Pennington
Dalton: Orton (I'm stealing this one from whoever came up with it first, nice one)
Locker: Jake Plummer w/ more athleticism and less swagger
Stanzi: Tom Brady
Kaepernick: He's tough too, but I'd go with V. Young w/ a stronger arm
Mallet: Bledsoe/J. George
Gabbert reminds me of smith
I think Locker reminds me of Alex Smith. Not trying to make this into a Smith thread but I've posted this before. Both are very athletic and excel outside the pocket. Both struggle in the pocket however and have low competition percentages.
Originally posted by Sjceruti:
I think Locker reminds me of Alex Smith. Not trying to make this into a Smith thread but I've posted this before. Both are very athletic and excel outside the pocket. Both struggle in the pocket however and have low competition percentages.

Assuming you mean completion percentage, your wrong, Alex had a 66% completion percentage in College.
Originally posted by modninerfan:
Originally posted by Sjceruti:

Assuming you mean completion percentage, your wrong, Alex had a 66% completion percentage in College.

Talking about Alex in the pro's and Jake in college. I didn't think this thread was comparing college QB's to college QB's....
I think it compares to the QB happy 1999 draft.

Gabbert = Tim Couch
Newton = Akili Smith
Mallett = Cade McNown (particularly apt considering McNown was not well liked)
Locker = Donovan McNabb (Strong arm, accuracy issues)
Ponder = Aaron Brooks
Kaepernick = Dante Culpepper
Dalton = Shaun King

The Ponder and Dalton comparisons are pretty weak, but in general, the similarities abound.
Scott
Based upon scouting reports, and thorough examination:

Blaine Gabbert (Alex Smith/Bobby Hebert)
Cam Newton (Donovan McNabb)
Ryan Mallett (Vinny Testaverde/Mike Tomczak)
Jake Locker (Michael Vick/Doug Flutie/Steve Young; circa 1986)
Christian Ponder (Matt Cassel)
Colin Kaepernick (Randall Cunningham)
Ricky Stanzi (Neil O'Donnell/Kyle Orton)
Andy Dalton (Brett Favre; circa 1992)
Greg McElroy (Mark Brunell)
I agree with the Ponde/Hasselbeck comparison. I also thought that the Kaepernick Cunningham comparison was interesting. Randall was a pretty good player remember. The Dalton comparisons where all over the place from Charlie Frye(I don't think he will be that bad) to Brett Favre (Probably won't be that good either)Most likely the comparison to Cassel/ Orton is more accurate, but they aren't bad players.Oh and if Stanzi does have some similarities to Brady maybe we should take a chance on him.
[ Edited by GorefullBore on Apr 3, 2011 at 9:59 PM ]