LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 257 users in the forums

2nd Round QB Success

Originally posted by WildBill:
Walsh said the hardest position to eveluate and coach is the QB. He also once said, he was always looking to draft a QB.

He may not have drafted any late, but he was always looking. Then again many GMs take this philosophy. Even if they have a QB that is in their prime, cause you always want someone capable to be a replacement should the need arise, to enventually replace of trade for a high pick like the Pats did and the eagles want to do.

The thing people are discounting is that we can get our QB with old veterans like Bulger and Hasslebeck and be successful. Warner, Plunkett, Brees (yeah I know he is not that old when he hitched with N.O.), Rob Johnson, Doug Williams, Brett Farve, I could go on.

Also, personally, I don't care for Kolb, but just because a QB hasn't had success and is raw, they could end up being like Steve Young.

Yes, he could. But the odds are certainly against it.
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
Originally posted by TX9R:
I posted this in another thread, thought it would get more discussion on it's own

I think the whole 2nd round QB failure argument is flawed. If you look at the list http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AgWp.n9iL7hAtSoyIbsTmJJDubYF?slug=pfw-20110331_use_caution_when_drafting_a_second_round_quarterba
the vast majority were put in terrible situations un defenisive minded HCs, 3 of which were Miami. 2, other than Brees, got a favorable situation and flamed: Brohm and TJackson in minny.
The value of a second rounder should be that lack of pressure to start immediately, to have the talent base to succeed but allowed to sit and develop. Kolb and Brees got that luxury and panned out. So 50% of these guys in favorable situations ended up OK. I think we have a favorable situation with talent and an offensive minded coach and honestly that any of the QBs available in that range would do well, for us.

I wouldnt say Kolb panned out. Besides being a highly touted protege that Reid is pumping him up to be, he really hasnt done much, besides loose the QB gig to Vick.

2-7 round QBs dont have a high success rate other than Brees and Brady, and Romo I would throw him in as well.

Matt Schaub I would add to that list.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by WildBill:
Walsh said the hardest position to eveluate and coach is the QB. He also once said, he was always looking to draft a QB.

He may not have drafted any late, but he was always looking. Then again many GMs take this philosophy. Even if they have a QB that is in their prime, cause you always want someone capable to be a replacement should the need arise, to enventually replace of trade for a high pick like the Pats did and the eagles want to do.

The thing people are discounting is that we can get our QB with old veterans like Bulger and Hasslebeck and be successful. Warner, Plunkett, Brees (yeah I know he is not that old when he hitched with N.O.), Rob Johnson, Doug Williams, Brett Farve, I could go on.

Also, personally, I don't care for Kolb, but just because a QB hasn't had success and is raw, they could end up being like Steve Young.

Yes, he could. But the odds are certainly against it.

Kolb is different, young was with a suck butt program at the time tampa. Kolb isn't, so that is why I don't like him.
Originally posted by BillWalsh:
Originally posted by ninerlifer:
Originally posted by TX9R:
I posted this in another thread, thought it would get more discussion on it's own

I think the whole 2nd round QB failure argument is flawed. If you look at the list http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AgWp.n9iL7hAtSoyIbsTmJJDubYF?slug=pfw-20110331_use_caution_when_drafting_a_second_round_quarterba
the vast majority were put in terrible situations un defenisive minded HCs, 3 of which were Miami. 2, other than Brees, got a favorable situation and flamed: Brohm and TJackson in minny.
The value of a second rounder should be that lack of pressure to start immediately, to have the talent base to succeed but allowed to sit and develop. Kolb and Brees got that luxury and panned out. So 50% of these guys in favorable situations ended up OK. I think we have a favorable situation with talent and an offensive minded coach and honestly that any of the QBs available in that range would do well, for us.

I wouldnt say Kolb panned out. Besides being a highly touted protege that Reid is pumping him up to be, he really hasnt done much, besides loose the QB gig to Vick.

2-7 round QBs dont have a high success rate other than Brees and Brady, and Romo I would throw him in as well.

Matt Schaub I would add to that list.

You can say that, but he has yet to lead a talented Texans team to the playoffs.
Share 49ersWebzone