LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 243 users in the forums

Franchise QB

• ajveltri
  • Info N/A
I know everyone on this forum loves Pat Peterson, Von Miller, and the rest of these potential great defensive players. The term defense wins championships is definetly true and I believe in that, but no great QB and no Super Bowl.

This is QB League period end of discussion...we do not have a franchise QB, so unless we trade for Carson Palmer or Kevin Kolb, our 1st rounder should be a potential franchise signal caller.

I also do not want to hear about later round QB making it, Montana, Brady, and Farve are the only ones that I know how that have won on a consistent basis.

SO if Gabbert or Newton or Locker is our highest rated guy and he is on the board we draft him, and then worry about the rest.

Until we have a legitimate franchise QB we will flounder, and that really should be all we worry and focus about, is getting a franchise signal caller!
I want one of these

but not gabbert or newton

[ Edited by valrod33 on Mar 31, 2011 at 08:56:25 ]
We dont draft a guy with our first round pick if we could get him in the second. Thats just panicking. None of the guys you mention are anywhere near guaranteed franchise qb's. Including Kolb. So Peterson (if still available) in tne first and best remaining qb in the second remains a valid strategy. Or trading back into the first from the second if a good option is falling.
Originally posted by English:
We dont draft a guy with our first round pick if we could get him in the second. Thats just panicking. None of the guys you mention are anywhere near guaranteed franchise qb's. Including Kolb. So Peterson (if still available) in tne first and best remaining qb in the second remains a valid strategy. Or trading back into the first from the second if a good option is falling.

I agree with English. The only way we draft a QB#7 or higher if we trade up is if it is Gabbert. I donth think we will trade up in the first though. They will let the picks fall where they will and take BPA with #7.

IMO there isnt much difference between Dalton,Ponder and Kaepernick. I would prefer Dalton but they all will have to sit and learn which is why another QB must be had through FA or Trade and a second QB drafted in rounds 4-7.
I completely agree with you. However...
It's what Harbaugh see's. His big Board my say Ponder is First or Dalton or Gabbert. If Gabbert has an overall grade of 94 and Ponder a 91 than it may come down to what it costs. In Harbs mind he is thinking what does it cost to go from A- to an A, and hopefully they graded them correctly. I think they will do what they can to get the guy they want but there are other needs on the team like protecting that Franchise QB or finding him weapons or protecting the lead.
We need to also consider that Harbaugh has taken a lot of time reviewing possible free agents and trades. If he has a Kolb or another QB rated higher than the ones in the draft than they could still draft Kaepernick in a later round and make a strong push for a current QB once CBA crap gets settled.
I do agree with you though. We waisted enough time with not finding a franchise QB. The majority of the playoff teams make it because they have an elite QB. Do whatever it takes to get the guy they think is it.
Originally posted by valrod33:
I want one of these

Ponder, Dalton, or Kaepernick

aren't you always getting on people's cases for their terrible use of english? have you read your post?
Originally posted by ajveltri:
I know everyone on this forum loves Pat Peterson, Von Miller, and the rest of these potential great defensive players. The term defense wins championships is definetly true and I believe in that, but no great QB and no Super Bowl.

This is QB League period end of discussion...we do not have a franchise QB, so unless we trade for Carson Palmer or Kevin Kolb, our 1st rounder should be a potential franchise signal caller.

I also do not want to hear about later round QB making it, Montana, Brady, and Farve are the only ones that I know how that have won on a consistent basis.

SO if Gabbert or Newton or Locker is our highest rated guy and he is on the board we draft him, and then worry about the rest.

Until we have a legitimate franchise QB we will flounder, and that really should be all we worry and focus about, is getting a franchise signal caller!

I am not feeling it with either Palmer or Kolb. Palmer's stats have been declining for 4 years in a row (A. Smith had a better year in 2010) and I am not ready to pay the trade price or contract price for Kolb.
Originally posted by northvan49erman:

aren't you always getting on people's cases for their terrible use of english? have you read your post?

Not grammar police, hypocrite police.

We will flounder even more if we draft a QB that is not worth the pick when we could have gained a possible all pro.

Of course everyone wants a franchise QB, problem is who is a franchise QB? The last QB we selected (he who shall be nameless) was not a franchise QB, neither was Ryan Leaf, Jamarcus Russel, Vince Young etc.

You don't draft a QB high just cause you are in need of one if he isn't a franchise QB. Of course a lot of mitigating factors go into whether a QB is successful or not. Many scouts and former NFL people have stated that none in this draft are first round grade, not to mention top ten, which is not to be confused with whether they will be drafted in the first round.

There are other late 1rst round and later picks that have succeded in the past, perhaps you are to young to remember. Warner-undrafted. Grbac-49ers, did good with the niners till he took the money elsewhere then failed. Marino was drafted at the end of the 1st, not at the top. Tell me when was Rodgers drafted? Top ten? No. Top 20? I could go on.

In fact, a player who was expected to go higher and drops is sometimes preferable in that who wants to prove the world wrong. As opposed who was gotten the money and tanks cause everything will just come to him.

I may be wrong, but again it is who takes them that is just as important, anyway I see Gabbert as Todd Marinovich, Mallet is Jeff George, and Cam as at best a 3/4 version of Vick in his days with the Falcons.
Originally posted by 80849er4life:
Originally posted by valrod33:
I want one of these

Ponder, Dalton, or Kaepernick

That's my mantra.

No. I have an ongoing windup going with Hessian about this but I do not put myself forward as Grammar Police other than to get a laugh out of him or Valrod.

But you apparently do. So tell me what the problem is with my post, in your opinion.

My post did at least discuss the thread subject, by the way.

Not grammar police, hypocrite police.
Personal attack.

And, had you actually read any of my posts on the subject of the use of the English language, sense of humour failure as well.
  • buck
  • Veteran

I agree that we need a QB and if the team thinks the guy is there in first we should drat that guy if we have the chance.

But, if do not all is not lost. There are other later round picks that have won on a consistent basis.

Here is a list.

2nd round

1. Brett Favre 19 year starter, three times all pro, eleven pro bowls
2. Randall Cunningham seven year starter, once all pro, four pro bowls
3. Drew Brees nine year starter, once all pro, five pro bowls
4. Boomer Esiason 12 year starter, once all pro, four pro bowls
5. Neil Lomax seven year starter, two pro bowls
6. Kordell Stewart six year starter one pro bowl
7. Charlie Batch four year starter
8. Jake Plummer 10 year starter, one pro bowl

3rd round

9. Matt Schaub- four year starter one pro bowl