LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 151 users in the forums

DaQuan Bower/Nick Fairley may dictate our draft

Both guys are very talented, and it would be no surprise if either of them became Pro-Bowlers. But they don't fit our system. Ideally, both guys will be chosen in picks 1-6. If that happens, an elite player at a position of need is available.

Team Needs: Available talent (total of 7)

QB: Gabbert Newton
OLB: Miller Quinn
CB: Peterson Amukamara
DT: Dareus

At least two of those guys would be available at our pick.

But let's say Bowers and Fairley are both available at our pick. They both have to be high on most teams' draft boards. I would be very surprised if there wasn't some serious trading if those guys are available. In this scenario, our focus would then be trading down and trying to get Christian Ponder / Jake Locker / Kaepernick in the mid/late 1st round.
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Both guys are very talented, and it would be no surprise if either of them became Pro-Bowlers. But they don't fit our system. Ideally, both guys will be chosen in picks 1-6. If that happens, an elite player at a position of need is available.

Team Needs: Available talent (total of 7)

QB: Gabbert Newton
OLB: Miller Quinn
CB: Peterson Amukamara
DT: Dareus

At least two of those guys would be available at our pick.

But let's say Bowers and Fairley are both available at our pick. They both have to be high on most teams' draft boards. I would be very surprised if there wasn't some serious trading if those guys are available. In this scenario, our focus would then be trading down and trying to get Christian Ponder / Jake Locker / Kaepernick in the mid/late 1st round.

Ponder's the only one of those I'd trade down for, otherwise get dalton in a later round.

I think 4 of those players really interest me:
Peterson(obviously), Dareus(have to fill hole left by franklin and he could be the answer), Quinn and Miller(I prefer Quinn for his size/versatility but if miller fell to us I'd have to consider him for his pure explosiveness).

I'd rather trade down for ponder than have anyone else. Not high on prince, don't want to target another WR like green, would skip on gabbert unless harbaugh really thinks he's the guy, and would skip on bowers/fairley.
If that were to happen I'd hope to trade down (maybe a couple times) 10-15 spots and try to get Jimmy Smith.
Originally posted by btthepunk:
If that were to happen I'd hope to trade down (maybe a couple times) 10-15 spots and try to get Jimmy Smith.

Yup sounds like plan C. Draft either Peterson or Quinn at 7. If there both gone trade down and select Jimmy Smith( who I think is the 2nd best corner in the draft) and hopefully an extra 2nd or two 3rds.

The problem is that I believe If Gabbert is there at seven.... The niners will select him.
I'm certainly no expert, but Fairley looks to me like he's be a great fit at 3-4 DE. It's not a huge need for us. But I think he's a much more talented player than Sopoaga.

I think a D line of Smith, Franklin, and Fairley sounds pretty badass. I know that in the 3-4 you rely more on LBs for pressure than you do in a 4-3. But you still have to get pressure from D line.
Originally posted by D-Money:

Yup sounds like plan C. Draft either Peterson or Quinn at 7. If there both gone trade down and select Jimmy Smith( who I think is the 2nd best corner in the draft) and hopefully an extra 2nd or two 3rds.

The problem is that I believe If Gabbert is there at seven.... The niners will select him.

Honestly if Gabbert is there at 7 I wouldn't be too upset. A lot if "draft experts" think he'll be good. Quarterback is the most important position in football and we don't have one. We have to have good quarterback play to get to the playoffs. That was the main reason we didn't get there last year. It's debatable whether that was Smith/Smith or Singletary/Raye/Johnson.

If we select Gabbert at 7, I will not watch the rest of the draft. My '11 season would be over before it got started. Because no second round corner and gabbert will help this team as much as it needs

Honestly if Gabbert is there at 7 I wouldn't be too upset. A lot if "draft experts" think he'll be good. Quarterback is the most important position in football and we don't have one. We have to have good quarterback play to get to the playoffs. That was the main reason we didn't get there last year. It's debatable whether that was Smith/Smith or Singletary/Raye/Johnson.

Not according to Singletary.

The solution would be if Gabbert is there at seven
Share 49ersWebzone