There are 108 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

What about the D line?

I know our biggest needs are CB,Pass Rush,Qb. Whatever order you wanna put it. I havent seen any posts on the niners possibly taking a D lineman. Maybe I'm the minority but i dont think our D line is that great. Lets take a look....we have A Franklin whom might not even come back, inconsistant at best Sopoaga, Aged J Smith, and our rotational players like Macdonald and Evans.
I personally think we will target a cb, or lb, but the game is won in the trenches so it's interesting that nobody is considering a trade back to possibly grab one of the top 3-4 ends like JJ Watt or Cameron Jordan. Anythings possible but could this actually be a likely scenario?
Originally posted by ninernutt:
I know our biggest needs are CB,Pass Rush,Qb. Whatever order you wanna put it. I havent seen any posts on the niners possibly taking a D lineman. Maybe I'm the minority but i dont think our D line is that great. Lets take a look....we have A Franklin whom might not even come back, inconsistant at best Sopoaga, Aged J Smith, and our rotational players like Macdonald and Evans.
I personally think we will target a cb, or lb, but the game is won in the trenches so it's interesting that nobody is considering a trade back to possibly grab one of the top 3-4 ends like JJ Watt or Cameron Jordan. Anythings possible but could this actually be a likely scenario?

I like Sopoaga and Smith but if I had to draft someone I would go with Sione Fua from Stanford....big body, and sure tackler.
Would love it if we can grab Fua and Cam Jordan. This could happen if NE wants to trade up and gives up their 2 number 1's.. we could get a CB and Jordan in 1st. rd., and a OLB (Ayers ?), in da' 2nd...
We should definitely not eliminate some attention to the DL, if opportunity presents itself.

Justin is obviously solid at RE... Sopoaga is much better than many think at doing what is asked of him at LE. We may not get RayMac back, so depth could be good to add. At NT, we should expect that Franklin is gone elsewhere for the big bucks. RJF is still a bit of a mystery at NT. We can't just assume he will improve. I have doubts that Fangio would want to shift Sopoaga back inside... even though he would be better in a 1-gap scheme. (than he was in Nolan's 2-gap at NT)

I can't see him falling to #7, but Dareus would be an excellent NT for us. Some might disagree, but I feel sure of it. Otherwise, I like options like Liuget or Austin, if they are there at #45. Again, some may struggle to see the fit at NT, but I think it would work. Later on, there is Fua or Ian Williams in the 3rd/4th round. Not too many options, so I'd be curious to see if SF reaches a little for one.

An excellent first 4 picks for me =

1. Robert Quinn / OLB
2. Christian Ponder or Andy Dalton / QB
3. Rashad Carmichael or Johnny Patrick / CB
4. Ian Williams or Sione Fua / NT
Originally posted by oldman9er:
We should definitely not eliminate some attention to the DL, if opportunity presents itself.

Justin is obviously solid at RE... Sopoaga is much better than many think at doing what is asked of him at LE. We may not get RayMac back, so depth could be good to add. At NT, we should expect that Franklin is gone elsewhere for the big bucks. RJF is still a bit of a mystery at NT. We can't just assume he will improve. I have doubts that Fangio would want to shift Sopoaga back inside... even though he would be better in a 1-gap scheme. (than he was in Nolan's 2-gap at NT)

I can't see him falling to #7, but Dareus would be an excellent NT for us. Some might disagree, but I feel sure of it. Otherwise, I like options like Liuget or Austin, if they are there at #45. Again, some may struggle to see the fit at NT, but I think it would work. Later on, there is Fua or Ian Williams in the 3rd/4th round. Not too many options, so I'd be curious to see if SF reaches a little for one.

An excellent first 4 picks for me =

1. Robert Quinn / OLB
2. Christian Ponder or Andy Dalton / QB
3. Rashad Carmichael or Johnny Patrick / CB
4. Ian Williams or Sione Fua / N
T

i may be a big duck fan but i would like to pick up bair in the 4th.............and mattews......plus mahl..and dixon in a trade.meh a guy can dream
I don't think we will pick up a 3-4 end or a nt in the first 3 rounds, but i think after that guys like

Kenrick Ellis, NT from Hampton
Jerrell Powe, NT from Mississippi
Ian Williams, DE from Notre Dame
Karl Klug, DE from Iowa

could be interesting. Or maybe Terrell McClain from South Florida or Lawrence Guy from Arizona State if they slip a little bit.
Originally posted by stever:
I don't think we will pick up a 3-4 end or a nt in the first 3 rounds, but i think after that guys like

Karl Klug, DE from Iowa

could be interesting. Or maybe Terrell McClain from South Florida or Lawrence Guy from Arizona State if they slip a little bit.

Is Klug listed as a DE? I have him as a DT. One source lists him as a potential OLB or bust.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by stever:

Karl Klug, DE from Iowa

Is Klug listed as a DE? I have him as a DT. One source lists him as a potential OLB or bust.

He is a little bit on the light side for a 4-3 dt but with 275 pounds he may be ok for a 3-4 end. He is quite quick and could bring a little pass rush from the outside even as a 5 technique, but he needs to get stronger. I don't think he can move good enough to move to olb.