There are 131 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Please - no Glenn Coffee this year!

Don't know how Coffee fooled the Niners during his pre-draft contact, regarding his lack of commitment to pro football. But, I sure don't ever want to see the club waste another draft pick in such fashion.

Therefore, I dedicate this thread to the webzone compiling a list of draft-eligible players, who might fall into the Glen Coffee-like mode. These are players who might pass the "look" test, but who don't pass the "smell" or motivation tests. No, we aren't privy to the face-to-face interviews, nor can we interview the player's college coaches on this matter, but the webzone has its share of knowledgeable observers. Who are the noteworthy, potential draftees who display one or more of the following:

take plays off,
play soft on occasion,
use minor injuries as an excuse to miss practices or even games,
are rumored to lack teammate respect, display prima-dona behavior
are rumored to interview poorly,
have already developed outside business interests (music, clothes, missionary, etc)

The obvious starting point for me is the 'icon" himself, Cam Newton. Feel free to add to this list, especially if you live in a college town, where you have had the ability to observe a particular athlete throughout his college career, and where you have had the ability to hear the rumors circulating around the community.
Dont recall Glen Coffee ever being anything you mentioned on your checklist.
Good one! Always enjoy your threads Jimbagg!

I think Newton is the leader in the clubhouse.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/565806

When the 49ers selected running back Glen Coffee in the third round, they got a player who grew up in Florida, attended college at Alabama and has never ventured West. "It'll be interesting," he said. "I've never been out west so I'm looking forward to it. Like I said, it'll be interesting. I'm not going out there to see what San Francisco is like as a city. I'm out there to help the team win. So I'll go out there and see how I like it but whether I like it or not I'm going to do what I've got to do to be a great NFL player."
Originally posted by valrod33:

I hear you. None of us know what signals might have been overlooked by the Niners in the Coffee interviews and pre-draft investigation, or what questions that the Niners should have asked, but didn't. Since none of we webzoners get that opportunity to do an actual player interview, I'm trying to identify those things that an attentive, webzone observer might sniff.

Maybe one or more of these criteria would have tripped an alarm on Coffee (missionary, religious calling), maybe not. I'm wide-open to any suggestion of what other criteria might be added to my suggested screening, which might be even more effective in identifying "Coffee-itis", BEFORE the draft.

Not looking for a single "winner" here, more of a gradual compilation of players, in one place, who MIGHT be displaying something less than a 100% commitment to pro ball.
Originally posted by jimbagg:

I hear you. None of us know what signals might have been overlooked by the Niners in the Coffee interviews and pre-draft investigation, or what questions that the Niners should have asked, but didn't. Since none of we webzoners get that opportunity to do an actual player interview, I'm trying to identify those things that an attentive, webzone observer might sniff.

Maybe one or more of these criteria would have tripped an alarm on Coffee (missionary, religious calling), maybe not. I'm wide-open to any suggestion of what other criteria might be added to my suggested screening, which might be even more effective in identifying "Coffee-itis", BEFORE the draft.

Not looking for a single "winner" here, more of a gradual compilation of players, in one place, who MIGHT be displaying something less than a 100% commitment to pro ball.

This is the disease formerly known as Woodsitis AKA Gone Fishin' Syndrome.
Not sure this is really possible but there are some things written about a player early, before the combine, that are forgotten afterwards in light of brilliant workouts.

One article I read about Fairly, for instance, mentioned a lack of commitment on every down. The writer suggested that Fairly played hard about 50% of the time. He has all the ability in the world but does he have the drive?
  • mike
  • Veteran
Coffee was pretty committed though, he had just gained like 20 pounds of muscle or something in the offseason.

He fell to the unexpected "do you really want to be a football player when you grow up?" question that should have been asked a long long time ago.

But if parents push you into it at such a young age, you get some sort of scholarship to go to college for basically free, and then get a shot to do it professionally...When do you ask yourself if that's what you want to do with your life?

Coffee's the only example I can think of where a guy that talented just straight up retires, it's an anomaly it's not something we can really expect to happen with a top pick again in the next decade. It's like...how many people are really going to choose to make millions less doing something else?

Sure you can worry about motivation, whether a guy's just lazy, stuff like that, but coffee was never lazy he just found some sort of "higher calling", probably at least partially induced by his super religious coach.
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Not sure this is really possible but there are some things written about a player early, before the combine, that are forgotten afterwards in light of brilliant workouts.

One article I read about Fairly, for instance, mentioned a lack of commitment on every down. The writer suggested that Fairly played hard about 50% of the time. He has all the ability in the world but does he have the drive?

The problem with that assessment is, was he really challenged in college football? You get these games in college where you're playing against total crap, completely dominating, why not take a play or two off in that situation?

Is it better to potentially bust a knee against a crap team so that the scouts have better video to watch at the end of the season?

People talk about a guy being lazy, but just because a guy takes a play off in college doesn't mean he won't step it up in the nfl level when he knows that he's playing against top competition every week.
Don't know how Coffee fooled the Niners during his pre-draft contact, regarding his lack of commitment to pro football. But, I sure don't ever want to see the club waste another draft pick in such fashion.

Therefore, I dedicate this thread to the webzone compiling a list of draft-eligible players, who might fall into the Glen Coffee-like mode. These are players who might pass the "look" test, but who don't pass the "smell" or motivation tests. No, we aren't privy to the face-to-face interviews, nor can we interview the player's college coaches on this matter, but the webzone has its share of knowledgeable observers. Who are the noteworthy, potential draftees who display one or more of the following:

take plays off, play soft on occasion,
use minor injuries as an excuse to miss practices or even games,
are rumored to lack teammate respect, display prima-dona behavior
are rumored to interview poorly,
have already developed outside business interests (music, clothes, missionary, etc)
The obvious starting point for me is the 'icon" himself, Cam Newton. Feel free to add to this list, especially if you live in a college town, where you have had the ability to observe a particular athlete throughout his college career, and where you have had the ability to hear the rumors circulating around the community.

Are you using this check list idea to b***h about crabtree and his lack of 1000 yard season!
Pretty sure the Glen Coffee was just really bad luck.

Don't quote me but I'd say that was a 1 in a million situation.

Religious- we drafted this guy in the second round a while back Raheem or something (help) a lb that was Muslim and he couldn't drink water because he was fasting during training camp. He kept getting hurt and fatigued every year. He was evetually cut and you have to believe it's because he had no energy due to the heat/ workouts compromising with his religious beliefs.
Also napoleon Kaufman retired way earlier due to god's calling.
Should it knock guys down teams draft boards for there beliefs. If I'm a GM, I'd have to answer yes, but I still don't know how or if you could even find this info during pre draft interviews.

[ Edited by D-Money on Mar 21, 2011 at 23:53:45 ]
Originally posted by chico49erfan:

I agree with that.
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
Originally posted by chico49erfan:

I agree with that.

And I think Singletary might have had something to do with it... in terms of putting way too much pressure on the kid.
Originally posted by mike:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

The problem with that assessment is, was he really challenged in college football? You get these games in college where you're playing against total crap, completely dominating, why not take a play or two off in that situation?

Is it better to potentially bust a knee against a crap team so that the scouts have better video to watch at the end of the season?

People talk about a guy being lazy, but just because a guy takes a play off in college doesn't mean he won't step it up in the nfl level when he knows that he's playing against top competition every week.

That's the million dollar question for each one of these guys. How do they translate to the NFL? It is also why I commented that it might not be knowable.

It is impossible to be 100% on this. I might take one look at a Fred Dean, smoking in the weight room, and say no thanks. How bright would that have been?