LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 292 users in the forums

2012 Draft at risk = supplemental draft?

2012 draft at risk?

From a teams perspective, this might make trading draft picks more risky. But from a players perspective, could this increase the viability of current college players who are eligible to enter the supplemental draft? If I was a player like Andrew Luck (for example), maybe it becomes smart to consider jumping into the league now.

Luck may be a bad example, but are there any players who will realistically make the jump?
I doubt it will change much. All teams know there will eventually be a draft.

If anything it might change language of the trades or value of the picks being traded.

For example, if a 2012 draft pick is traded there might be a clause that if there is no 2012 draft, it becomes a 2013 pick.

And with that idea, future picks may be worth more or less. They could be undervalued because of the risk, so where you might have asked for a third rounder usually, maybe now you ask for a second. I'm sure some teams will at least use that strategy to try and get more in trades.

But frankly, it could make future picks MORE valuable. If there is a clause that with no 2012 draft they become 2013 picks, the NFL could see a super deep 2013 draft where picks are twice as valuable because so many good players are available.

Either way, you'll have one team (giving up) and one team (getting) picks arguing both sides, so there probably will have to be a slight adjustment but not a major one, as both know the most likely scenario is really that will be a normal 2012 draft.

And regardless, I would be surprised if it affects the supplemental draft much.

The one interesting note about the supplemental draft and Luck though, is that the draft order is determined randomly. If we got lucky, and had the first pick, and he hired an agent (which would make in ineligible for college ball), he could then declare for the supplemental draft and we could get him for next year's first.

It won't happen, but it's an interesting thought.
Share 49ersWebzone