There are 302 users in the forums

No Peterson + no Miller =

Originally posted by Travisty13:
Originally posted by backontop:
If they aren't available why not just draft Prince Amukamara?

I completely agree. Prince gets hated on to much for not being PP. But I think Prince is our best option.

Prince is the man. I don't understand the hate towards him.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by fanmusclecars:
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Peterson
Miller
Newton
Fairley
Dareus

AJ Green
Robert Quinn

One of them will be available at 7, and I'll be fine with any of them.

Do you think the fan-base will throw a fit taking a 5-technique DE at #7?

What about Gabbert?

Dareus can def. play 3 technique and in future could be a NT. Fairley uses his speed and quickness, so 5 technique is probably the best fit. Though, he is strong enough to move inside and play 3 technique. Richard Seymore is a perfect example.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Peterson
Miller
Newton
Fairley
Dareus
AJ Green
Robert Quinn

If we take Cam Newton, we're f*cked.

He has won at every level and has been a very quick learner, so I've to disagree.
Originally posted by Travisty13:
If they aren't available why not just draft Prince Amukamara?

I completely agree. Prince gets hated on to much for not being PP. But I think Prince is our best option.

Prince is the man. I don't understand the hate towards him.

You and me both. Prince is the definition of a true shutdown corner.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by strickac:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Peterson
Miller
Newton
Fairley
Dareus
AJ Green
Robert Quinn

If we take Cam Newton, we're f*cked.

I don't think he's even on our radar. He's not a West coast QB and he just doesn't strike me as someone Harbaugh would pursue. If I'm not mistaken, we're one of the few teams teams drafting early that decided not to set up a private meeting with him.

That we know of, but regardless it really means nothing. Teams have taken players whom they haven't even given the time of day to before.

Originally posted by Draftology:
I can't even describe how angry I would be if we picked Cam Newton or Fairley. I'm not willing to spend the #7 pick on a complete bust quarterback or a 3-4 DE, the least impactful position on defense. I honestly don't think I'd take Newton in the second round.

One cannot be a bust before taking a single NFL snap. This team would not be f**ked if we took him but haters gonna hate.

As for a 5 technique being the least impactful position...Justin Smith, Richard Seymour, Haloti Ngata, Cullen Jenkins are all players who are incredibly impactful for their respective teams and not just on base downs. Fairley could become a key part for 4-2-5 nickel looks in obvious passing situations as well.
Trading down's a possibility...unless they're sold on Quinn or whichever DL stud is still on the board. It'd have to be for a fairly high 2011 pick, though...with the CBA floundering, this draft could be the most important in years. My hope is they'd get Ponder...who's arguably the best prepared to be groomed for QB. They could address pass rusher & CB with their nex two picks.
please no DL at #7.
So would you guys be cool if they couldn't find a trade for the 7 pick but still took Ponder at the spot because there is no guarantee to get him at 45 or trade up? would you also be ok if they took any other QB beyond Newton and Gabbert at the 7 spot...those 2 are projected there so it's not a reach.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
So would you guys be cool if they couldn't find a trade for the 7 pick but still took Ponder at the spot because there is no guarantee to get him at 45 or trade up? would you also be ok if they took any other QB beyond Newton and Gabbert at the 7 spot...those 2 are projected there so it's not a reach.

Originally posted by KRS-1:
Originally posted by jacklegniner:

My bad. Rookies forget the rulz from time to time. Hopefully I can get this graphic thing figured ou...

Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Peterson
Miller
Newton
Fairley
Dareus
AJ Green
Robert Quinn

I can't even describe how angry I would be if we picked Cam Newton or Fairley. I'm not willing to spend the #7 pick on a complete bust quarterback or a 3-4 DE, the least impactful position on defense. I honestly don't think I'd take Newton in the second round.

Does Justin smith need to beat you up! When you watch niner games who's the cowboy kicking 2 guys ass and still roping the qb! I say olb sure is our biggest need, maybe 2 of them and 2 qb's, but mario williams went first overall what kind of career has he had, you take the best player thats not named cam newton!
Justin Smith is an ELITE player, I agree. Yet, he still can't make a huge impact because of his position. And Mario Williams has been 4-3 DE up until this upcoming season. That is very different from a 3-4 DE. The role of a 3-4 DE is to generally take up blockers for the linebackers to make plays. The most important positions in a 3-4 are NT, OLB, MIKE ILB, and CB. There are very few defensive players that don't play any of those positions that I would take in the top 10.
  • evil
  • Veteran
Justin Smith is an ELITE player, I agree. Yet, he still can't make a huge impact because of his position. And Mario Williams has been 4-3 DE up until this upcoming season. That is very different from a 3-4 DE. The role of a 3-4 DE is to generally take up blockers for the linebackers to make plays. The most important positions in a 3-4 are NT, OLB, MIKE ILB, and CB. There are very few defensive players that don't play any of those positions that I would take in the top 10.

Again Ngata, Jenkins or Seymour (in his prime NE years) all are hugely impactful players. If Fairley can be to our defense what those guys are to their respective teams he should get serious consideration if he is there.

The argument here should not be "I don't value 5 techniques inside the top 10" it should be "Can Fairley (or even Dareus should he be there) become an elite 5 technique".
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Peterson
Miller
Newton
Fairley
Dareus
AJ Green
Robert Quinn

Does Justin smith need to beat you up! When you watch niner games who's the cowboy kicking 2 guys ass and still roping the qb! I say olb sure is our biggest need, maybe 2 of them and 2 qb's, but mario williams went first overall what kind of career has he had, you take the best player thats not named cam newton!
this.
Originally posted by KRS-1:

Again Ngata, Jenkins or Seymour (in his prime NE years) all are hugely impactful players. If Fairley can be to our defense what those guys are to their respective teams he should get serious consideration if he is there.

The argument here should not be "I don't value 5 techniques inside the top 10" it should be "Can Fairley (or even Dareus should he be there) become an elite 5 technique".
Jenkins? You mean Kris Jenkins the 360 lb NT or Cullen (I hardly consider him elite)? So there is currently one hugely impactful 5 technique in the league. And then there are the next tier of guys like Justin Smith and so on. I would rather have a good corner, than a great 5 technique. Plus the defensive line was by far the best part of our team last year. We would be adding depth, when we have gaping wholes at other positions like quarterback, corner, and outside linebacker.

[ Edited by Draftology on Mar 22, 2011 at 10:29:43 ]
We go with Quinn or Amukamara.

Dareus would be an incredible pick if he fell to us. Alabama played 4-3 and 3-4 if I remember right.

Board should go like this:

1. Patrick Peterson
2. Marcell Dareus
3. Von Miller
4. Robert Quinn
5. Prince Amukamara
Share 49ersWebzone