LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 170 users in the forums

MadDog's Big 200 Board

Jeff Maehl is under rated by not being in the top 200 on your board. The guy is a gamer and makes big plays and someone is going to end up with a hell of a a 3rd or 4th receiver. I am also a big Oregon fan.

Brandon Fusco C from Slippery Rock seems like the kind of player someone is going to grab and end up with a solid player, I like the mid round developmental type oline this year.

I have Andrew Jackson G from Fresno State going sooner than later, I think he will get someone to like the Patriots to shore up the interior line.

Henry Hynoski keeps getting good write ups but I have not seen much of him at all. What is your take on him?

Nice board, fun read.
  • buhda
  • Veteran
After Taiwan Juice Jones pro day on March 31. we have to take him with a 4th.Add him with Charles Clay in the 4th.
I'd like to see a MD ranking list (top 32, say). Similar to the one i do (based on what your eyes tell you, not what pundits tell you). If you have time. Just so i can get a gauge on the types of players you think will do the best at the next level.
No Darius Morris from Temple? I've read some have him in the 4th round. He can play Tackle and will more then likely shift in to a Guard position.
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
Jeff Maehl is under rated by not being in the top 200 on your board. The guy is a gamer and makes big plays and someone is going to end up with a hell of a a 3rd or 4th receiver. I am also a big Oregon fan.

Brandon Fusco C from Slippery Rock seems like the kind of player someone is going to grab and end up with a solid player, I like the mid round developmental type oline this year.

I have Andrew Jackson G from Fresno State going sooner than later, I think he will get someone to like the Patriots to shore up the interior line.

Henry Hynoski keeps getting good write ups but I have not seen much of him at all. What is your take on him?

Nice board, fun read.

Great list of players. Maehl is a great college player, but his speed is severely lacking, running at best in the mid 4.6's. He is probably a 7th rounder or free agent. The best aspect of Maehl is his short area cutting ability. He posted terrific 3 cone and short shuttle numbers.

Fusco will probably be the highest draftee on your list, and I project him in the 6th round. He could end up a fifth rounder, but I don't see anything earlier.

Jackson is a 7th rounder right now in my projections. He's a tad bit older than most players (26 this upcoming year), but has some upside athletically.

Hynoski is a solid blocking FB, but his speed at over 5.00 is going to push him into the 7th round, in my estimation.
Originally posted by Travisty13:
No Darius Morris from Temple? I've read some have him in the 4th round. He can play Tackle and will more then likely shift in to a Guard position.

I see Morris as a bubble draftee, a 7th rounder or free agent. He will probably have to kick in to guard at the next level, but does offer some versatility, which is huge for late round OL. A good year as an All-MAC first team for the Owls.
175 Greg Salas Hawaii WR
177 Greg McElroy Alabama QB
178 Greg Romeus Pittsburgh DE
179 Ahmad Black Florida S

I've heard some scouts are really high on Salas. Like 2nd/3rd round high. That seems a little crazy, but I've got to believe he goes before the 6th. He could make a nice possession receiver for somebody. Also, you think Black's 40 time pushes him that far down? I know he's small, but the guy always seems to be around the ball.

I know Romeus was injured this year, but he was a potential 1st rounder at the end of last season. You don't think his first three seasons could lead to him being drafted higher than round 6? I wouldn't mind taking a risk on him in the 4th.

Also, considering that we need 3 new QBs for next season, I would love to grab McElroy in the 6th. He seems like a guy that will have a long career as a backup in the NFL. A guy that can come in a win a few games for you if your starter is injured.
MadDog, New to the board but have been observing your dilegent work for years. Terrific work. Thank you for your efforts.
Originally posted by jb49ers80:
175 Greg Salas Hawaii WR
177 Greg McElroy Alabama QB
178 Greg Romeus Pittsburgh DE
179 Ahmad Black Florida S

I've heard some scouts are really high on Salas. Like 2nd/3rd round high. That seems a little crazy, but I've got to believe he goes before the 6th. He could make a nice possession receiver for somebody. Also, you think Black's 40 time pushes him that far down? I know he's small, but the guy always seems to be around the ball.

I know Romeus was injured this year, but he was a potential 1st rounder at the end of last season. You don't think his first three seasons could lead to him being drafted higher than round 6? I wouldn't mind taking a risk on him in the 4th.

Also, considering that we need 3 new QBs for next season, I would love to grab McElroy in the 6th. He seems like a guy that will have a long career as a backup in the NFL. A guy that can come in a win a few games for you if your starter is injured.

All of these guys mentioned were terrific college players, but all have physical limitation/speed issues entering the NFL, and that is going to push them way down the board.

Black is probably the best known and best player of the bunch, but his continual slow times are going to be a gigantic issue in covering the back end of the secondary. Short and slow is not a good combo entering the NFL.

Salas posted unreal numbers in Hawaii's system, and is a good possession receiver, but a 4.56 time is going to limit how high he can go in the draft. I made an error in transferring the placement of Jeremy Kerley and Greg Salas. It should have been Salas at 153, and Kerley at 176. It is a 23 spot difference, and that is a big difference in the draft. Thanks for the note.

McElroy has a mediocre arm, and that keeps him in the 5th/6th round area.

As for Romeus, he's had a year to forget. First, back surgery, then a torn ACL...and his mom died. I'm guessing the medical reports do not turn out to be good news for him, and this drives him down the board. I wish the kid the best.
Originally posted by fortyyearniner:
MadDog, New to the board but have been observing your dilegent work for years. Terrific work. Thank you for your efforts.

Thanks for the kind words. I enjoy the draft process and the challenge of trying how to figure out how all will shake down.

Originally posted by buhda:
After Taiwan Juice Jones pro day on March 31. we have to take him with a 4th.Add him with Charles Clay in the 4th.

I think there will be a lot of interest at his workout.
Great job man. Now I know you said this isn't an overall mock draft, but I have to think the first round is or close to. That being said, I would be pissed if Dallas moved to the spot ahead of us to select Peterson. I would be happy as hell that we selected Robert Quinn, a true badass pass rusher who I think will be far better than Von Miller. I would be shocked if we selected anyone else other than Peterson if AJ Green is still on the board. I know we need D to the fullest and someone to throw him the ball!!! Yeah I know, but adding a receiver that will be one the best in the league is just to good to pass up. Green would be our Fitzgearld, that's how good I think Green can be.

My opinion and the nature of the draft. Once again great board/ranking.
great work MD, Im hoping to work out my new big board, been busy.

But on topic, looks good, I may not be a Gabbert guy As I like newton more.

But Gabbert had a good pro day, so i can see him high on the board.

My Board is different, not neccessarly where they end up, but more how i feel about them.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
Here is the ever expanding Big 200 Board

MD, just gotta says thx cuz I really enjoy your work... I always print off your Big Board right before the draft and cross off the selections as they come off to see who is available for our 9ers... great job bro as I know a lot of work goes in to it and looking forward to the final edition.

[ Edited by submoa on Mar 20, 2011 at 18:09:42 ]
Originally posted by D-Money:
Great job man. Now I know you said this isn't an overall mock draft, but I have to think the first round is or close to. That being said, I would be pissed if Dallas moved to the spot ahead of us to select Peterson. I would be happy as hell that we selected Robert Quinn, a true badass pass rusher who I think will be far better than Von Miller. I would be shocked if we selected anyone else other than Peterson if AJ Green is still on the board. I know we need D to the fullest and someone to throw him the ball!!! Yeah I know, but adding a receiver that will be one the best in the league is just to good to pass up. Green would be our Fitzgearld, that's how good I think Green can be.

My opinion and the nature of the draft. Once again great board/ranking.

In this mock, I do project the Cowboys trading uo to land Peterson. I agree that Green should be the pick, before Quinn, if this scenario played out and the Niners were on the board with Green available.
Share 49ersWebzone