LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 254 users in the forums

Which Stanford players do you think best fit this team?

Used the search function, nothing came up. Unless I dont know how to use it..

With so many late draft picks and the obvious stanford coaching ties, its very likely that we will end up drafting at the very least 2 Stanford players. Who do you guys think is the best fit for this team, or who do you really want the niners to pick up and why?

Owen Marecic FB
Richard Sherman CB
Sione Fua NT
Ryan Whalen WR
Thomas Keiser LB
Chase Beeler C

Stanford held its pro day today, with Fua and Sherman looking good. What do you think? I think each of those players could be drafted to fill team needs, but how would you all rank the Stanford bunch, according to need+player/draft value?

Interesting note: Take this with a grain of salt, as the only source I have is word of mouth, but my cousin lives near Jim Harbaugh and has known him for a few years, and says that Harbaugh has said that Alex Loukas, backup QB, (who threw today for his stanford receivers), is just as good, if not better, than Andrew Luck. He won't be draft eligible for a few years though.

Link to notes from Stanfords pro day..
http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2011/03/niners-rathman.html

[ Edited by DaveTheShocker on Mar 17, 2011 at 17:17:31 ]
I want Marecic, but he might end up going in the 3rd or 4th round. I think thats a little too high to waste a pick on a fullback.
  • Riot
  • Veteran
Andrew Luck.
Keiser, Sherman, and Marecic. Fua probably fits pretty well too.
Fits:

-Sherman fits well as DB depth.

-Fua fits well as the not-so-athletic-or-big NT, but is a guy that can play with strong leverage at NT.

-Keiser fits well as a rotational OLB, but I don't know if we have all that much room for those. We need starters.

-Missing from your list is OT Derek Hall, a riser in the draft this year due to strong play. He'll likely be a 5th-6th round guy who could develop into a solid NFL player. He's a good fit at RT.

Maybe not:

-Marecic is a question mark. Tons of heart, but I think he might struggle some in blitz pick-up and lead blocking in the NFL. Something about him just worries me. I think there are some better fits out there.

[ Edited by OnTheClock on Mar 17, 2011 at 18:31:34 ]
Originally posted by Riot:
Andrew Luck.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Fits:

-Sherman fits well as DB depth.

-Fua fits well as the not-so-athletic-or-big NT, but is a guy that can play with strong leverage at NT.

-Keiser fits well as a rotational OLB, but I don't know if we have all that much room for those. We need starters.

-Missing from your list is OT Derek Hall, a riser in the draft this year due to strong play. He'll likely be a 5th-6th round guy who could develop into a solid NFL player. He's a good fit at RT.

Maybe not:

-Marecic is a question mark. Tons of heart, but I think he might struggle some in blitz pick-up and lead blocking in the NFL. Something about him just worries me. I think there are some better fits out there.

Thanks for the response. Idk why, I really like sherman. He seems like he can be a playmaker. Peterson at 7 and sherman later wild be nice. I think there's a good chance niners go after Beeler, depending on the labor situation and Baas not being under contract.
And yes, we all want Andrew Luck.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Owen Marecic is the most likely to get drafted by the 49ers.
Don't forget Konrad Reuland. He's a TE who's under the radar right now, but could be a better fit as our 3rd TE than Nate Byham...not to mention he knows Harbaugh's system/language, making him a little more valuable than NB considering the potential shortened off-season.

• Hopper
  • Veteran
Fua
We have 9 picks right? I wouldn't be surprised if we took 4-5 cardinal players, lol.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Don't forget Konrad Reuland. He's a TE who's under the radar right now, but could be a better fit as our 3rd TE than Nate Byham...not to mention he knows Harbaugh's system/language, making him a little more valuable than NB considering the potential shortened off-season.

Hasn't Byham done great in blocking though?
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DaveTheShocker:
Used the search function, nothing came up. Unless I dont know how to use it..

With so many late draft picks and the obvious stanford coaching ties, its very likely that we will end up drafting at the very least 2 Stanford players. Who do you guys think is the best fit for this team, or who do you really want the niners to pick up and why?

Owen Marecic FB
Richard Sherman CB
Sione Fua NT
Ryan Whalen WR
Thomas Keiser LB
Chase Beeler C

Stanford held its pro day today, with Fua and Sherman looking good. What do you think? I think each of those players could be drafted to fill team needs, but how would you all rank the Stanford bunch, according to need+player/draft value?

Interesting note: Take this with a grain of salt, as the only source I have is word of mouth, but my cousin lives near Jim Harbaugh and has known him for a few years, and says that Harbaugh has said that Alex Loukas, backup QB, (who threw today for his stanford receivers), is just as good, if not better, than Andrew Luck. He won't be draft eligible for a few years though.

Link to notes from Stanfords pro day..
http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2011/03/niners-rathman.html

He's a senior though.
My bad, I thought he was a sophomore.

Could be our matt cassell...

[ Edited by DaveTheShocker on Mar 18, 2011 at 11:39:28 ]
Share 49ersWebzone