Not a member? Register Now!

matt49er mock offseason/draft 4.0

Release/Don't re-sign
Alex Smith
Troy Smith
David Carr
Demetric Evans
Moran Norris
Manny Lawson-(we attempt to sign him but demands are too high)
Brian Westbrook

Resign
David Baas-3 year deal
Barry Sims-1 year deal
Tony Wragge-1 year deal
CJ Spillman-1 year deal
Ray McDonald-2 year deal
Travis LaBoy-1 year deal
Takeo Spikes-2 year deal
Aubrayo Franklin-3 or 4 year deal
Dashon Goldston-1 year deal (will want to test FA next year when he becomes UFA)

Extend/Re-structure
Frank Gore-new 3 year deal (signed sometime during season after Gore proves he is still a top tier back after injury)
Josh Morgan-new 2-3 year deal
Delaine Walker-new 2-3 year deal
Nate Clements-new 3 year deal (restructured for far less $ that reflects his true market value)

Trades
Parys Haralson to Mia for 5th round pick (Nowin convinces FO to trade for this loser)
4th round pick in 2011 and 2012 2nd round pick to Eagles for QB Kolb (sign Kolb to new 4 year extension)

FA Signings
Nnamdi Asomugha-CB 6-8 year deal (similar to Clements the last 2 years would be easy to get out of for team if deal is longer than 6 years) we break the bank here and bring in a top level FA.

Mike Sims Walker WR- awful year w/the Jags last year we get him signed to a decent 2-3 year deal. With Crabs/Walker/Morgan we're set at WR

Robert Gallery-OG-say hello to our new starting RG, 3 year deal

Matt Moore- QB- awful season in Carolina and they draft Newton so he's out the door. Nobody gives him a starting job so he comes to SF looking for a #2 job.

Draft
1-Carolina- C. Newton
2-Denver- D.Bowers
3-Buffalo- Gabbert
4-Bengals- AJ Green
5-Arizona-V.Miller
6-Browns-Fairley
7- SF49ers-Robert Quinn- I like him even if Von Miller is on the board

Rest of 49ers Picks (left after trades 2,3,4,5,5,6,6,7,7)

2-Marvin Austin NT UNC-49ers have zero depth behind Franklin, AF is also on the wrong side of 30 time to develope his future replacement. Austin would have been in the conversation with Dareus and Fairley if not for the suspension.

3-Sam Acho DE/OLB Texas- I know 3 straight defensive picks and 2 OLB's. With Lawson and Haralson gone and Fangios bring it style we stock up on edge rushers like we did w/OL last year.

4-Casey Matthews ILB Oregan- graded by most as a 3rd rounder I may be reaching here hoping a draft crush of mine drops to us in the 4th. Would love to have this guy develope behind Spikes for a cpl years.

5a-John Moffitt G/C Wisconsin-gives us depth at both G and C nice size, good 5th round value.

5b-Jarvis Jenkins DE Clemson- nice 3-4 DE depth behind Smith/Soap

6a-Pat Delvin QB Delaware- has alot of talent but needs alot of coaching sounds like a job for Harbaugh. Delvin will be #3 QB with no rush or pressure on him for early development.

6b-Da'Rel Scott RB Maryland- Westbrook's replacement and possible change of pace back with good speed (4.35 40 yd)

7a-Stanley Havili FB USC-A great weapon to have coming out of the backfield, Stanley Havili had 138 rushing yards (6.6 YPC) and 22 receptions for 298 receiving yards (13.6 average)

7b-Alex Henry K Nebraska- 24-of-28 , converting 7-of-8 from 40-49 and 2-of-5 from 50-plus. Nedney is getting up their in age, Reed will go somewhere that he doesn't have to win the K job so we turn to Henry to provide Nedney will TC competition.

UDFA
JB Shugarts OT OSU- character issues push him out of the draft...just like Alex Boone we take another flyer here

TJ Yates QB UNC- best undrafted QB goes to one of the best QB coaches.

Ryan Whalen WR Stanford- One of Harbaugh's Stanford guys

Robert Hughes FB Notre Dame- Harbaugh now has 2 young FBs to choose from, should be a nice camp battle.

Darian Hagan CB Cal- local product brought in to compete for back of roster spot.

Depth Chart (*=rookie)

QB- Kolb/Moore/Delvin*
RB-Gore/Dixon/Scott*
FB-Havili*
TE-Davis/Walker/Bynum
WR-Crabtree/MSW/Morgan/Ginn/Williams/Zeigler
C- Baas/Moffitt/Wraage
OG-Iupati (LG), Gallery (RG), Moffitt*/Wraage
OT-Staley (LT), Davis (RT), Sims, Boone
offensive total-25 players

NT-Franklin, Austin*, RJF
DE-J.Smith, Soap, McDonald, Jenkins*
ILB- Willis, Spikes, Bowman, Matthews*
OLB- Quinn*, Brooks, Acho*, Laboy
CB-Asomugha, Clements, Spencer, Brown, Adams
FS-Goldston, R.Smith, Spillman, Clements (doesn't make full on switch yet but does play some S setting up for a switch next season)
SS-Mays, Taylor

defensive total-25

K-Nedney
P-Lee
LS-Jennings
KR-Williams/Ginn
PR-Ginn
ST Only total-3

ST Coverage Unit-Matthews/Bowman ILB, Brooks/Acho OLB, Taylor SS, R.Smith FS, D.Walker TE, J.Morgan WR, Scott RB, Spillman S

Team Captains- Asomugha, Willis, Gore, J.Smith, Kolb, VD, Spikes, A.Franklin

Practice Squad- Shugarts OT*, Yates QB*, Hughes FB*, Henry K*,Whalen WR*, Hagan CB*, K.Mitchel OT/DT, S.Long WR

I tried not to be too optimistic although I will admit if we have this offseason or 1 as good as the one I have projected I will be very very happy. I think it's realistic 1 big FA signing and 1 big trade.

Several QBs out there in Kolb/Palmer/McNabb/Johnson/Flynn I'm just taking a stab and saying we get Kolb but anyone of the vets out there is a possibility and I firmly believe we end up with 1.

With no premium OLB passrush FAs left (all tagged or extended) I expect us to go all in with FA CB Nnamdi Asomugha 1 of just 2 true shutdown CBs in the NFL today that combined with our cap room, limited big needs (QB, OLB, CB, RG, IMO) along with several potential passrushers in the 1st round makes the 9ers FO comfortable throwing the big bucks at NA to finally fix one of our major weaknesses as a team.

I think re-signing our own biggest FAs is key to the whole thing. If we cannot secure A.Franklin and D.Baas then NT and C become primary needs along with QB, OLB, CB, RG for this team and would set us back in regards to putting a better team on the field than we had last year. That IMO starts with ensuring you do not set yourself back and lose quality players. We can replace Goldston/Spikes and others like Sims/Wraage/McDonald/Laboy with late round picks/inexpensive FAs but we must get Franklin and Baas back.

I project that Baalke knows this and will pay a little more to retain Franklin to a 3-4 year deal. Both sides want Baas back and have talked contract already should be an easy deal. Spikes will not command big $ and will be an easy signing and I also believe Goldston will be a RFA.

Let me know what you think guys, how awful did I do guys?

[ Edited by matt49er on Mar 10, 2011 at 21:19:18 ]
That FA would be retarded good. That's why it won't be realistic... The draft is heavy defense, which I don't mind.

Pat Devlin will be gone earlier. Havili probably too. Possibly even Matthews as well.

Sorry to rain on the parade.

[ Edited by chico49erfan on Mar 10, 2011 at 21:05:23 ]
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
That FA would be retarded good. That's why it won't be realistic... The draft is heavy defense, which I don't mind.

Pat Devlin will be gone earlier. Havili probably too. Possibly even Matthews as well.

Sorry to rain on the parade.

i agree it would be crazy good but 1 big time FA, a #2 WR, and a non star RG and a QB that had a s**t year to be our #2 isn't that unrealistic to me.

out of 10 picks i have 5 defensive, 4 offensive and a kicker not really a heavy defensive draft more balanced IMO.

Delvin is a wildcard IMO and it's obvious he isn't won't be ready to play for a while=good chance he slides. Havili is rated by most as the 3rd best FB behind Marecic and Hynoski.

[ Edited by matt49er on Mar 10, 2011 at 21:21:47 ]
Matt:
You put a lot of work into this draft. If it comes out half this good it is a good draft. Would love to see your FAs come to roost in SF.
no f**kin kolb his career rating is the same as alex f**king smith despite alexs rookie year and kolb hasd the better team and andy reid as his coach

no kolb
This would be excellent minus Kolb who I don't really like but I file it under the not realistic. I know some of those guys will be cheap but you think we can sign 17 free agents? Seems like we would be over the cap and be spending like 150 million in one off season.

[ Edited by Gore_21 on Mar 11, 2011 at 06:39:03 ]
not bad. i dont think we'll get Asomugha, but it would be nice. even if we do sign Asomugha i would still like to see us draft Patrick Peterson. he's the best player in the draft and if he falls to 7 that would be a steal. him and Asomugha would awesome in the secondary. i also like the extension for Morgan.

P.S. we also dont need 6 safeties

[ Edited by niners9 on Mar 11, 2011 at 07:37:54 ]
No chance we sign all those FA's!

If we want Nnamdi we have to get rid of Nate.

No way Eagles let Kolb go for a 2nd and 4th. Maybe two 2nds but I think they keep him for insurance.

You resign all our oline guys but still get Gallery in FA - wont happen - we'd have to get rid of at least Bass to make cap room.

I mean i would love it if we could get all of those guys but we'd have to get rid of a ton of our existing players and then bid for the new guys in FA and just don't see any chance of that happening.

I don't think Kolb is better than Alex and I think we keep Alex and use the picks to solidify our D this year. Kolb was just okay with the Eagles and they run a very good O that has been in place for a long time with some above average players.

Love it if the draft would go that way for us but:

Moffit will go between round 3 or at latest early round 4.

Havili will be long gone by the time you have him going
Don't know if it changes your picks but i thought that we have 2 4th round picks and 1 5th round pick. it says 2 5th's on your board.

i like the first 3 picks. my mock has something very similar. robert hughes is a good late round addition.
I mean, I appreciate the effort you put into this but at least try to make it realistic.
Even in the slightest chance we get Asomugha I would still draft Peterson. He is the safest pick in the draft, not to mention we would have 2 killer CBs. If we dont get Asomugha and Peterson is there we would be stupid not to take Peterson.
Originally posted by stonecold590:
Even in the slightest chance we get Asomugha I would still draft Peterson. He is the safest pick in the draft, not to mention we would have 2 killer CBs. If we dont get Asomugha and Peterson is there we would be stupid not to take Peterson.

Seriously, If we have a chance to draft Peterson and we don't do it. Baalke should be intermediately terminated from his position. But I don't think he would make such a mistake.
19 off season signing come on now
Originally posted by Sjceruti:
I mean, I appreciate the effort you put into this but at least try to make it realistic.

Agreed. Too many free agents and draft picks all out of whack.
Originally posted by Sjceruti:

calm down on the FA's.