LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 163 users in the forums

CB Johnny Patrick, Louisville

...For some reason this was deleted.

49ers take CB Johnny Patrick, Louisville out to dinner

Good hips, great feet, above average instincts, but unfortunately his timed speed is hella slow. I think he runs faster on the field, but his 40 time (4.59) was a big disappointment. Perhaps he corrected it at his pro day.

*Note, he did - 4.46 40 at his pro day

*Not deleted, I merged it with the rest of the draft news, but since this thread is more about the player, and not just some anecdotal info, you are solid--FP*
[ Edited by fropwns on Mar 11, 2011 at 2:08 PM ]
I've heard a lot of people praising him on this board. Honestly know nothing about him.

What's he projected to go?
His timed speed will probably keep him out of the first half of the 2nd round. Maybe they're hoping he'll be there in the 3rd.
Holly balls , this dude is 6'1'', had 5 INTs, and 17 PDs. That's insane. Plus he ran a slow time at the combine but hes not really that slow(look at his pro day 40, Joe Haden ran slow last year and ran faster at his pro day and he plays faster than the combine 40 time also).

Plus we are the team that took him out to dinner after his pro day, IMO that indicates quite a bit of interest.
If we're showing this much interest in a 2nd-3rd round CB, it leads me to believe that we're looking at a position other than CB in the 1st (no Prince, Peterson gone).

Gabbert should be gone and we're choosing not to meet with Cam. QB is out.

If you believe all that, then it leaves Fairly/Dareus/Miller/Quinn, which means front seven help. To take it a step further, I think Dareus and Quinn will be off the board and we'll be picking between Miller and Fairly.... Miller getting the edge.

Anyway, sorry to get off track and throw so many assumptions out there, but that's what it's looking like to me.
[ Edited by strickac on Mar 10, 2011 at 7:40 PM ]
I'm not high on Patrick, but not super low on him. I think he's a mid to late 3rd rounder. Johnny feasted on inferior competition for the most part, so I don't put a ton of stock into his statistics.

Patrick is also noted as having average hips, so I'm not sure where the good hips come from. His three knocks were average hips (inconsistent ability to make the turns with receivers), slow timed speed, and questionable competition.

All that said though, he's no lower than a late 3rd rounder, and I could deal with us using the 76th overall pick on him.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I'm not high on Patrick, but not super low on him. I think he's a mid to late 3rd rounder. Johnny feasted on inferior competition for the most part, so I don't put a ton of stock into his statistics.

Patrick is also noted as having average hips, so I'm not sure where the good hips come from. His three knocks were average hips (inconsistent ability to make the turns with receivers), slow timed speed, and questionable competition.

All that said though, he's no lower than a late 3rd rounder, and I could deal with us using the 76th overall pick on him.

Mayock and Prime were commenting on how good his hips were at the combine. His ability to stay low allowed his hips to fly open to turn and run.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Holly balls , this dude is 6'1'', had 5 INTs, and 17 PDs. That's insane. Plus he ran a slow time at the combine but hes not really that slow(look at his pro day 40, Joe Haden ran slow last year and ran faster at his pro day and he plays faster than the combine 40 time also).

Plus we are the team that took him out to dinner after his pro day, IMO that indicates quite a bit of interest.

Try 5'10.5"/
Originally posted by SWAGG-ER:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Mayock and Prime were commenting on how good his hips were at the combine. His ability to stay low allowed his hips to fly open to turn and run.

Perhaps he has improved, but early reports -- from what I recall -- said he sometimes was stiff in the hips, and this knocked him down.
Funny. I didn't see this thread until now, but I just took him for the Colts in round 3 of the divisional draft.

He is a protoypical 49ers cornerback.
Pretty sure we are going CB/OLB in the first. I bet we take the position we didn't take in the first or QB. Then in the 3rd it's whatever position we haven't taken yet. I wouldn't be surprised if it went OLB/QB/CB (maybe Patrick if he is still around). My preference is CB/OLB/QB, then OLB/CB/QB. I guess it depends on who is available though. Honestly, I'd rather trade for Palmer or sign McNabb if cut and go for a franchise guy next year. With the next two or three drafts minus we would have a solid team ready for a rookie while still competing for playoffs with say Palmer or McNabb.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
Pass. His first and last name are both first names.

Because of this, he'll sink to the 5-6th rounds.
I am down for taking him in the third
Originally posted by SWAGG-ER:
...For some reason this was deleted.

49ers take CB Johnny Patrick, Louisville out to dinner

Good hips, great feet, above average instincts, but unfortunately his timed speed is hella slow. I think he runs faster on the field, but his 40 time (4.59) was a big disappointment. Perhaps he corrected it at his pro day.

*Note, he did - 4.46 40 at his pro day

Sounds like we'll have to watch out for the Jets if they want this kid.
Share 49ersWebzone