LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 287 users in the forums

Debated mock draft - SF OTC

Arizona takes Von Miller. Easiest call of the draft. Next question.
Originally posted by Draftology:

Fairly is a dominant prospect, but not nearly as great of a need. Bowers is a top prospect, but does he fit? AJ with Fitz? AZ hardly need WRs. With Peterson and Gabbert off the board, I think there's not a lot of arguments to be made against Miller.
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:

Fairly is a dominant prospect, but not nearly as great of a need. Bowers is a top prospect, but does he fit? AJ with Fitz? AZ hardly need WRs. With Peterson and Gabbert off the board, I think there's not a lot of arguments to be made against Miller.
if they dont want green, they will go for miller...they have nothing reliable at olb at all, plain and simple.
but aj green is indeed a strong possibility b/c doucet is a no.2 wr at best and breaston seems to be injury-prone (and is heading to FA).
Originally posted by communist:

if they dont want green, they will go for miller...they have nothing reliable at olb at all, plain and simple.
but aj green is indeed a strong possibility b/c doucet is a no.2 wr at best and breaston seems to be injury-prone (and is heading to FA).

I already decided on VM. But they have Fitz, why would they need AJ?

[ Edited by RollinWith21n52 on Mar 15, 2011 at 13:59:02 ]
Niners:

Quinn: dominant DE or OLB...helps passrush and gives DB's some help with pressure on QB.

Prince: very good to great CB, great measurables and good character... hard to pass when you have Nate CLements playing 10 yards off his man so he doesn't get burnt over the top

AJ Green: Top WR prospect and would REALLY help our very vanilla offense spread the coverage more evenly off of VD and Crabs. But the issue is this is a luxury pick and we picked Crabs #10 only 2 years ago.

The question is who can we fill our needs with later in the draft... DE's/OLB with quinn's speed and flexibility are not going to be available later. CB is thought to be a position with some depth, maybe we get a 1st rounder in the 2nd?

I think we snagg Quinn... He will allow Fangio to bring the heat and change up our passrush options.

i thought that i explained it in my lost post sufficiently (just look in your quote...).

acc to the niners-pick:
it's tough...but we have to draft for need over bpa this year as long as the player who would fill the need is not too far behind the bpa.
i would go for quinn.

[ Edited by communist on Mar 15, 2011 at 18:18:49 ]

i thought that i explained it in my lost post sufficiently (just look in your quote...).

acc to the niners-pick:
it's tough...but we have to draft for need over bpa this year as long as the player who would fill the need is not too far behind the bpa.
i would go for quinn.

We're going to draft for need because we literally need every position except TE (which we would not draft at #7 this year anyways) and OL (because of the investment over the last few years in the group).

Needs:

-QB
-OLB
-NT (with Franklin gone...do we have a NT? Ah yes! The great RJF. FAIL!)
-DE (Sopoaga is below avg)
-ILB (can use someone to replace Spikes)
-Secondary (could use an upgrade at...ummmm.... 5 spots? no, 4, Spencer is a capable Nickel)
-RB (not in the 1st, but is Dixon really anything? Will we learn that this is a 2 back league?)
-WR (I like Crabtree and think he'll be good with another QB, but for a team that hasn't had a 1000 yd receiver in 10 years to say its not a need is a little funny)
People were pretty lively discussing other picks....but for some reason not the niners' pick? I agree that Quinn is the favorite because of his upside, and the complete lack of talent (even starting level talent) all over our defense (excluding 3 positions)
close call between prince quinn and green this would really be a tough choice

Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

It's funny, our offense is abysmal, but we have good or solid players across the board (not at QB however). Our defense is considered our strength, but we don't have a decent player in that group not named Patrick or Justin. I think Fangio is looking at this roster and is cursing his life. As good as AJ is, they may have to go D. I strongly believe in BPA, but also think that Quinn or Prince could qualify as such.
It's gotta be between Quinn or Amukamara. I really don't have a preference. Quinn has more upside, but is more of a boom or bust type prospect. Amukamara is more of a sure thing, with a lower ceiling.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

It's funny, our offense is abysmal, but we have good or solid players across the board (not at QB however). Our defense is considered our strength, but we don't have a decent player in that group not named Patrick or Justin. I think Fangio is looking at this roster and is cursing his life. As good as AJ is, they may have to go D. I strongly believe in BPA, but also think that Quinn or Prince could qualify as such.
Just shows that Manusky was a great defensive coordinator
I can't believe how much talk there is about Aj at our 7 pick. the guy is good but it's not very realistic. we will want to establish the run and bring in an accurate Qb to run the west coast. we don't know what we have with crabs or the other receivers because the Qb situation is out of whack. we have picked offensive players in the top of the draft a lot lately. the new coach will see what he can do with them.

we do however know that we need a pass-rusher. someone has to help willis anchor that defense. we know we also need to get better in the secondary. more playmakers and more turnovers. Qb is in the same boat, although most of us agree that we are looking at the 2nd round for that.

Best Player available is always the way to go but lets not kid ourselves, there has to be some kind of need and when you are absolutely desperate at a position. if kyle rudolph (TE from Notre Dame) somehow falls out of the first round and all the way to our 2nd round pick do we take him because our big board has him rated the most talented player available. it's not going to happen because we have VD. You can afford to go with a luxury pick when you are a solid team like pittsburgh or the falcons, but when you are consistently a 6-10 team you draft BPA mixed with a team need.
Originally posted by jacklegniner:
I can't believe how much talk there is about Aj at our 7 pick. the guy is good but it's not very realistic. we will want to establish the run and bring in an accurate Qb to run the west coast. we don't know what we have with crabs or the other receivers because the Qb situation is out of whack. we have picked offensive players in the top of the draft a lot lately. the new coach will see what he can do with them.

we do however know that we need a pass-rusher. someone has to help willis anchor that defense. we know we also need to get better in the secondary. more playmakers and more turnovers. Qb is in the same boat, although most of us agree that we are looking at the 2nd round for that.

Best Player available is always the way to go but lets not kid ourselves, there has to be some kind of need and when you are absolutely desperate at a position. if kyle rudolph (TE from Notre Dame) somehow falls out of the first round and all the way to our 2nd round pick do we take him because our big board has him rated the most talented player available. it's not going to happen because we have VD. You can afford to go with a luxury pick when you are a solid team like pittsburgh or the falcons, but when you are consistently a 6-10 team you draft BPA mixed with a team need.

I agree for the most part, but how many teams do you think didn't need a WR when they passed on Randy Moss for players who were out of the league in 2 or 3 years?
Share 49ersWebzone